Input from Diesel truck owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford now offers the 6.7 PowerStroke in the F550-F650 with the torqshift transmission, the reliability of this combination for someone that needs a diesel (long haul) negates the need for any other engine. For someone that is city delivering, then yes the V-10 would be the better option.

Will say the same thing about the M2's. Pure garbage. Family business has been a long time Freightliner truck user for their tractors, and decided to give these a try for some of their straight trucks for lighter duty work. Previously was running a mixture of FL's and Sterlings.

All three were traded in on Peterbuilts last month... - with how often they were out of service they practically needed another truck...

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Ford now offers the 6.7 PowerStroke in the F550-F650 with the torqshift transmission, the reliability of this combination for someone that needs a diesel (long haul) negates the need for any other engine. For someone that is city delivering, then yes the V-10 would be the better option.

Unless and until they solve the HPFP problem, I would not own a 6.7 Ford if you gave it to me!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Unless and until they solve the HPFP problem, I would not own a 6.7 Ford if you gave it to me!

I thought that they solved that in 12 or 13? IIRC it was only a problem if you got water in the system.

What in the world are you talking about?

You still need some fairly non-standard lifting equipment to get one of those trucks off the ground to change a tire.

For an outside dual, I prefer running the inside tire over something like a brick, curb, 4x4 (wood), whatever.

A big old bottle jack and a appropriate iron is no chronicle to get a hold of, but again, it's more stuff you have you have to buy. The little details do pile up after a while.

That's why we had a rash of "personal use" MDTs showing up in repo yards and auctions for a while. Everyone who thought "it's just like my pickup, but larger" got completely overwhelmed by the cost of maintaining those things, and that was pretty much that.

I had an International MXT for a short period of time. I got it on a good enough deal to be able to drive it for a while and flip it. It was such a pain in the butt to drive as a regular vehicle. Like an H1, it was fun to look at at and drive as a toy, but living with it got under the skin. The nail in the coffin was the International 6.0 engine (Powerstroke 6.0). There was no way I was hanging around to see what happened with that.

No, that was just the line Ford used to get out of paying the $10,000+ to fix the truck!

Really? Cause the incidences of this are practically nonexistent for the newer trucks. One would think if it was not solved we'd hear more about it. Be genuinely interested in the frequencies from, say 12 or 13 onward. Hanging around the RV and Ford truck boards it doesn't seem to be the "issue" it was a few years ago.

Last edited:
No, that was just the line Ford used to get out of paying the $10,000+ to fix the truck!

I just did a Google search, and not only are there a lot of 2015 and 2016 results, but a lot of results related to warranty denial.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
For an outside dual, I prefer running the inside tire over something like a brick, curb, 4x4 (wood), whatever.

Exactly what he did...ran the inner dual on a metal ramp.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
You do not NEED a diesel. You CHOOSE to use a diesel. There is a difference.

You are correct, I don't need a diesel, but i choose to buy them. With my duty cycle I don't want to deal with a gas engines higher fuel consumption and constant shifting when loaded. I have 11 diesel powered trucks/tractor/generators/boats, I know the difference in what I need to do and how gas vs. diesel preforms. I ditched the gas powered equipment in the early 90's except for a couple of the older ones that never see the road.

It boils down to you know your business and I know mine, most here are not business owners and are inquiring about their personal vehicles, which is a completely different situation. In what I do if I weren't putting over 30,000 mi. per year per truck I probably wouldn't even consider diesel either, but I do. Fuel consumption matters to me as when we are in our busy season we are burning through 150 gallons a day, every day.

My wreckers run almost 24-7. We average 60k per year per truck. I have hour meters and odometers. Even with 60k miles per year the number of idle hours are about equal to driven hours. The V10 with minimal maintenance is an easy 300k mile motor and I've had one I sold at just over 400k and several sold at high 300s. My own I house shop can swap a motor in and out in an 8hr shift if needed. Try that with a diesel. I can swap the motor for less than a turbo and get the same mpgs. All of our driving is intown stop and go. They can pull 10-20k trailers just fine.

The most expensive repair possible on my gas V10 F450 / 550 / 650 wreckers is $5,000 - $6,000. That's an entire crate motor swap with labor. Very unlikely to happen. It would take pages to list all of the possible $5,000-$6,000 repairs possible on a diesel. Ever have to buy a diesel....any diesel make....crate motor. Say an oil line breaks and your srupid employee keeps driving....the last 6.7 diesel crate was $15k installed. There just isn't any comparison between the costs of diesel vs gas ownership on this size trucks anymore. Savings up front to buy, major savings on routine maint, saving on every repair, fuel savings, diesel exhaust fluid savings. [censored] my diesels were needing the exhaust filters baked every 100k miles ish @ $2k each time--due to idling. My personal 43' RV needed the exhaust filter baked at 120k and it never idled. You don't exactly drive a coach to the grocery store. Every trip was highway. Ridiculous the particulate filter had to be baked at 120k. That was $3k because I was stuck and couldn't shop around. I had an injector pump and injectors replaced for $10k while on a family vacation. My next RV will be a V10 gas. They even have gas pushers btw.

I could go on and and oil. Just an oil change in the V10 is a $4.00 filter and 7 quarts of cheap oil @ about $2.00 a quart bulk. Try that with a diesel.

I track my mpgs and we are almost the same. We are within 1mpg. Wreckers have to idle and you can't idle the new diesels either. It kills them.

Last edited:
Did not read the whole thread (sorry) but I did recently own a Ford 6.7 for 75k trouble free miles. I think the inj pump issue is a little overblown but I understand that if it hit me I might have a different opinion. I also own a 7.3 (270k miles) and IMO there is no comparison if you actually need to tow. The 6.7 was a monster that could tow anything I threw at it.

That being said once my towing needs changed I got rid of it quickly. The maint. requirements and costs are just to high if you don't need the power. I felt like I was always changing oil, filters or adding def. I now tow a much lighter trailer with a gas motor and I am very happy. Just the 6qt vs 3 gallon oil changes are great. Sometimes I miss the power, the EB is great but diesel just has that grunt when you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back