200k!!!! 2005 legacy gt wagon manual transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ya wife made 200k(her car)

The upsides:
Owned since brand new
Wrx turbo engine (250hp/250 ft-lbs) with mid range punch coupled to 5 speed manual
Decent handling
A grown ups civilized Wrx that can carry kids and cargo
Still smile merging on highway
Very mechanical feeling car including noise also lack of any electronic systems except Abs. Blast in snow and gravel
One check light in life but expensive (burned valve)
No rust and body looks decent
Never broken down

The downsides:
Mediocre reliability compared to our Honda
Small back seat for 3 kids

Lots of known to model issues we hit after 150k
Hatch wiring falling apart (red trunk light in pic, no wiper)
Burned valve($2500) other while in stuff replaced) at 160k
Throw out bearing fail ($350) still on Oem clutch
Steering rack($800)
Starter and alternator ($600)
Wheel bearings and front brake calipers it eats

We still run around on Factory turbo and wife insistent on 4K Oci with regular oil. The internals of motor when pull apart(160k) and turbo were inspected and fine.

She plan on driving on this car was paid for cash new ($23k). She commutes 70 miles rt 3 days a week and gets kids in when they tolerate it. She wants a unicorn next manual transmission car that is powerful fun to drive and wagon.

Nice! Congrads.

All those issues after 150k is why I'm hesitant to go for Subaru, at least that vintage. They seem good up until a point, then... not sure I'd want to buy one used. Sounds like though you have a good one, one you like and which are ok with putting up with the repairs.

Great work, congrats!

Naysayers will cringe at the thought of using Conventional oils in any turbo but your experience just adds to the fact that this practice is not some careless act of someone who under values his vehicle.

the factory turbo holding on for that long is definitely an accomplishment.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Great work, congrats!

Naysayers will cringe at the thought of using Conventional oils in any turbo but your experience just adds to the fact that this practice is not some careless act of someone who under values his vehicle.

It'd depend upon the turbo, no? and how hot the oil runs.

You don't mention fuel economy. My understanding (from 2 different owners) is that it is not very good.

Congratulations. Keeping the turbo going that far means you're doing lots of things right. I got 285,000 Km (177,000 miles) from my '86 Volvo 740 Turbo's turbo using only dino oil as well. [And the turbo was still fine when I sold the car.] I changed the oil often (every 3 months) and always let the oil cooled turbo cool down before shutting the engine off. The only time I had to do anything different was when stopping to fuel up near a major highway. In those circumstances I always let it idle a few minutes before shutting the engine down. I drive sedately into my neighbourhood anyway so the turbo naturally cooled off the rest of the time.

Fuel economy same as always 23 MPG average. This car shares a civilized/detuned version of STI engine with similar Mpg numbers on 2016.

I think the pleasure of driving this has masked the fuel low economy. I regret not getting it tuned for more power because the burned valve is due to stock tune. Tuned ones don't burn valves nor do Wrx and Sti's with similar engine but different factory tunes.

Congrats. I am jealous.

23mpg is about average for all pre-'10 Legacies vehicles it seems.

I tried to get the Legacy GT but I could not find an unmolested model. I still have a "fund" in case I come across a gem.

I've always wanted to own a Subaru over the years, like their styling and the dynamics due to the flat engine located low in the chassis. It's just the post 100k mile repairs that always seem to come into play that makes me take pause. Being as I'm the one that does the repairs 'round here, reliability is key. They have good resale though so I suppose one could trade out of a subie before the cow pie hits the fan......

Last edited:
While 200,000 miles is a great achievement during automobile ownership, this engine did burn a valve so IMO it is not an original engine. But congrats on keeping the car in good shape for those miles!

Apart from a burnt valve and steering rack, all other issues would not be out of place on 200K car. Some might make 225K before starter/alternator but most will not.

On the other hand those two uncommon issues were costly but you could get another 100K miles out of the car.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
It's just the post 100k mile repairs that always seem to come into play that makes me take pause. Being as I'm the one that does the repairs 'round here, reliability is key. They have good resale though so I suppose one could trade out of a subie before the cow pie hits the fan......

The trick with Subaru is that they are not forgiving with "gas-and-go"/"wait until it breaks" deferred maintenance types like Toyota. The PM schedule is a strong mandate, not a suggestion. The AWD does add complexity over the standard Corolla so it is the CV Axles that get people, especially if they are cheap with irregular tires. Compared to other full-time AWD system, they are robust. The plus side is that there is not a repeat-failure item so you will not be repairing bad engineering. You will not have the GM issue with replacing PS components every 15-30K miles. The trick is buying new or finding a well maintained used model. Buying those sub-par maintained or "cow pies" can be a host of problems.

On my former 212K+ Legacy (sold it locally and still see it running), the only thing that "broke" was the knock sensor in the last three years.

You've done great madRiver!

My brother has the same model/year that is approaching 200K miles, except his has the 4EAT trans. He bought it with well over 100K on it. He's had to replace the turbo because of a failed bearing (plugged banjo bolt screen). He's also had to replace a cam phaser solenoid assy or two, chase various oil leaks, wheel bearings, CV joints, etc.. We're a Subaru family, but sometimes I question why. LOL. The AWD is so darn nice for our winters, but you pay for it in various ways.

Last edited:
Another car I've always wanted.
I was just looking at 05-08 LGT wagons on the classifieds today, before seeing this post.

Love them, especially with a MT. Fast wagons are my true weakness.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Another car I've always wanted.
I was just looking at 05-08 LGT wagons on the classifieds today, before seeing this post.

Love them, especially with a MT. Fast wagons are my true weakness.

Yeah, I would have one too, but the mileage is a bit low for my commute. I would replace the CRV with one in a heartbeat if we stayed on road all the time, as they do get about the same mileage it seems.

Congrats! My old '05 LGT 5MT (sedan, non-limited) was unfortunately had the issues you noted as well as eating passenger CV joints for lunch (CV boot runs dangerously close to the downpipe). After the 4th replacement I sold the car. It also had bad injectors, crazy interior electrical issues, and an AC that went out. And when my TOB went it damaged my transmission case, and the clutch was on it's way out.

I averaged about 18 mpg (more city than hwy), and gas was nearing $4/gal when CV joint #3 went out and that sealed the deal since I drive 300-350 miles/week.

I was happy/sad to sell since it was my first "nice" car that I bought brand new, but it was nickle/diming me to death.

I am shocked that you are still on the stock turbo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back