ST dino oil realistic OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member dnewton3 posted a uoa of 12K miles on it and it was well used up but did its job and there was no damage. I'd run it a mininum of 5K for commuter / DD duty.

I wouldn't take it past 4k miles in a car I am planning to keep. But a beater is a different story. Beater would be my testing ground and I'd probably stretch it to 7k.

Without knowing the vehicle, engine, and how the vehicle is used, it's really hard to say for sure. However, 5000 miles would be a good OCI for most vehicles under most conditions for SuperTech or any other SN conventional oil.

In all reality, it's probably good for quite a bit longer than that. As mentioned above, conventional oils have been run much longer than 5000 miles and still had good UOA results.

It can run the full intervals suggested by the OLM in cars so equipped, such as pre-2011 GM cars, most Hondas other than the RDX and new Civic turbo.

ST is good for the factory-recommended OCI on any car where synthetic isn't required
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OILGEEK27
Olm, comes on at about 7500- 8000 miles. Thought that was a bit crazy for dino.
crazy2.gif

Try a Honda 4 cyl. Tells you to change every 12K to 13K miles.

Olm, comes on at about 7500- 8000 miles. Thought that was a bit crazy for dino.
crazy2.gif

ST can do it
smile.gif

The cost of a UOA will be more than the cost of changing the oil. So why? A one off UOA is of questionable value. UOAs are best when used over a period of time to show trends. What does the owners manual say as an OCI? That's what I'd go with. I had a CRV once....150k miles when I sold it....owned since new.....ran cheap Dino per the OLM. Most changes were 12-13k a couple at 10 ish. I ran the oil until promted by the OCI and kept driving till at least 5 percent on OCI sometimes all the way down to zero.

I second ST oil as very good. At my shop I buy Mag1 oils in bulk. They make ST. If I could get ST in bulk I'd buy that. Oil is oil if it's the proper weight and meets the proper spec.

As long as your manual doesn't spec syn or syn-blend oil, I'd be comfortable running ST out to whatever mileage your OLM indicates. Personally, my preference is for synthetic oils though, especially since I stock up when they're on sale for the same price or cheaper than conventional.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
The cost of a UOA will be more than the cost of changing the oil. So why? A one off UOA is of questionable value. UOAs are best when used over a period of time to show trends. What does the owners manual say as an OCI? That's what I'd go with. I had a CRV once....150k miles when I sold it....owned since new.....ran cheap Dino per the OLM. Most changes were 12-13k a couple at 10 ish. I ran the oil until promted by the OCI and kept driving till at least 5 percent on OCI sometimes all the way down to zero.

I second ST oil as very good. At my shop I buy Mag1 oils in bulk. They make ST. If I could get ST in bulk I'd buy that. Oil is oil if it's the proper weight and meets the proper spec.

Its rare that you see so much truth wrapped up into one post here.

love the value of ST dino oil, just not sure the best oci...

Try 5K miles and then get a UOA done (With TBN) to see if it is still OK.

I'd never use it as I did once and I had severe issues with it in a new car.
Must have been a bad batch.
I'd go with PYB because its bullet proof and often cheap too.

PYB is a safer choice, only Pennzoil Platinum on sale is usually very cheap, then you wouldn't have worries.

The stretch for ST dino to 7K with the worry isn't worth it when Pennzoil Platinum can do 10k with no worries.

The price on synthetics on sale are just too good to pass up, pointless to run Dino too long.

love the value of ST dino oil, just not sure the best oci...

UOA....

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
Those chev 4.3's will last forever on anything that resembles a motor oil lol

Amen. That being said, OP should either follow the OLM or go 5-7,000 miles - making sure to keep it topped off. ST is better than most people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back