Briggs & Stratton better than Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably. IMHO all Honda is vastly overrated.

I've abused my B&S engines - the flathead 6.5 on our push mower has been run for hours through thick grass as the house - enough to have it pegged at WOT and you can hear it struggle. The 22HP V-2 on our rider has been stalled a couple times and generally ridden hard and put away wet. The 7.25 in our pressure washer has a new pump and it's a higher PSI. When washing the engine is WOT and definitely straining. Runs for hours like that.

Oil changes on all are yearly and they all start very easily. No reason to look at Honda, and if I needed an OHV engine, I'd buy a Chonda before anything Honda.

Even the Snow King Tecumseh in our blower is ancient and outside of carb issues runs flawlessly.

Chonda ! Good one.
Tried to start one of my Champion Chonda motors and the cord pulled apart - Amazon has them.

I've had sonewhat mixed luck with one of my Hondas. Right now, in my shed. I have 3 Honda engined pieces - a Homelite Pressure Washer (GCV160), Husqvarna mower (GCV160), and Cub Cadet leaf blower (GC160).

With regular annual maintenance, the pressure washer and leaf blower have been good. The leaf blower usually takes 4 or 5 pulls to start, as does the pressure washer.

The mower has been less peachy. When it does start, it usually runs great. The carb that came on it clogged ALL THE TIME and had to be disassembled and cleaned 3 or 4 times the first season I had it. I added a fuel filter to it the second season I had it, and it only died twice. I retrofitted a carb from a Honda branded bare engine and it has been fine since. Choke timing from the auto choke isnt the best, and it bounces at first for a hot sec but it runs great past that point.

My 20 year old Murray backup mower has a Briggs 3.5L Classic and starts right up no matter how long it has been sitting. Rebuilt the carb 5 or so years ago, but that's been it overwise. My brother in law broke the recoil starter, and I got a NOS replacement for less than $20. Not a powerhouse, but it hasn't let me down once.

My next piece of equipment will definitely have a Briggs engine.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back