2003 Saturn L200 oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and the girlfriends friend has a 2003 Saturn L200 with the Eco Tec 2.2 engine. Thinking of Synpower from the stash and FU filter or.... About 50/50% highway to city miles ratio. Just did rear brakes on car also and it has 140,xxx on it. No leaks also

Thanks in advance

Sure that synpower's a fine choice.

I'd put a new timing chain tensioner on it. One "bolt" you can access from outside, underneath. The early ones of these have tensioner issues.

Your Saturn has an OLM, which you can go by with confidence. Even the cheapest oil on sale will make it through the full OCI suggested by the computer.

Kmart has Smittys on sale for $2/qt, or $10 for a 5qt jug. Buy the HM jug.

ONLY use the following oil filters for that Ecotec:
Hengst E630H
Purflux L264A
Mann HU 6007x

The AC Delco PF457G/PF458G is a Hengst E630H

WARNING: the PF457G does NOT come with a gasket! The PF458G comes with the gasket and the cap (the cap isn't a wear item, but the gasket is). Supposedly there's a PF457GO which comes with the gasket but not the cap.

The other filters do come with the gasket.

Eljefino: she has records and the tensioner was done at 127,xxx miles by local dealer.

Slacktide_bitog: is a FRAM ultra acceptable?

Originally Posted By: car51
is a FRAM ultra acceptable?

it's ok, but the ones I listed above are the top choices. The Ultra is really only useful for very long OCI's well over 10k. Same with the Wix XP.

Fram Ultra XG9018 is ok
Wix 57082 (Napa Gold 7082) isn't bad, either
Wix XP 57082XP (Napa Platinum 47082) is decent too, and on sale for a few more days at Napa

I'd use Wix before I'd use Ultra.

But Mann, Hengst, and Purflux are still the top choices.

DO NOT use Fram OCOD or TG. DO NOT use any Purolator. DO NOT use Mann ML1015 (instead, use the HU 6007x). Many aftermarket cartridges are too long and will buckle in service.

Synpower from the stash is fine. When your stash is used up, Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower and often goes on sale for $3-4/qt.

I've used many different filters in my Ecotecs over the years.

Oil ca be nearly anything, but now I pretty much only used the Delco filters....

Slacktide_Bitog: I planned to use the ultra for 2 oci's or 10k and if looks ok have the lady get another FU filter and continue on. Good running little car as smooth riding.

Slacktide_Bitog: I planned to use the ultra for 2 oci's or 10k and if looks ok have the lady get another FU filter and continue on. Good running little car as smooth riding.

Either Fram Ultra or Napa Platinum should be good for your planned intervals. Get the Platinum if it's cheaper or close to the same price, and if a Napa is nearby.

But honestly, changing the filter is so easy on the Ecotec, and it's on top of the engine, that there's really no point in using the same filter for multiple OCI's. In general, I'm a believer in one filter, one OCI. But even if you do use it for multiple OCI's, you can inspect the filter very easily to see if you think it can run for another one.

Very true and I got a genuine AC DELCO one and a FRAM ultra. Decisions

If you have two filters already, use the older one first. Although I'm not quite sure how to read the Hengst date codes.

The AC DELCO is probably pretty fresh as it came from our Gm guys. Maybe I'll ise it for 5k then use the ultra.

Put the AC-D on the girlfriend's friend's car and put the Ultra on your car.
thumbsup2.gif

The AC DELCO is probably pretty fresh as it came from our Gm guys. Maybe I'll ise it for 5k then use the ultra.

The car has an OLM, so use the OLM intervals
smile.gif

Ok and Slacktide_bitog; what do the power steering systems on those use? I'm thinkin of using some Dex VI

Ok and Slacktide_bitog; what do the power steering systems on those use? I'm thinkin of using some Dex VI

They use Dexron III. Maxlife is probably fine in them
smile.gif

Ok, and thank you as always Slacktide_Bitog. It's very much appreciated
smile.gif

you're welcome
thumbsup2.gif

Also, the cheapest place for the filters I suggested seems to be diesel-filters.com

If it were me I wouldn't bother with the extra expense of Synpower unless she racks up miles quickly, mostly on the highway. If the oil gets black a while before the interval is up (which I'm sure it does) use Maxlife and stick with your 5K OCI. I have a '13 Cruze - I run full syn. in it because it's turbocharged, but don't pay much attention to the OLM. It may be technologically advanced, but only as much in the interest of conserving resources and getting it past the 100K powertrain warranty as getting real longevity out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back