Fixing Tractors a no-no, Are cars next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think JD's plan is get more farmer's leasing equipment. Making one machine that a guy can keep going for 30-40 years in his shop isn't as profitable as making him buy a new one every 5 years because the thing is so complicated...

Could someone make a business out of a portable laptop & JD software, driving around to do basic maintenance and to read codes? I'm not sure how one would stay profitable, since it'd be $$$$ for the software, per year; and then it's money to drive to the farm. Maybe for a semi-retired mechanic who wants to make some money but not necessarily be full-time employed.

I suspect that some computer hacker will find a way to crack Deere's code. Although Deere might make some progress stopping a few attempts to hack their stuff, they will find that 10 other people will continue hacking Deere equipment.

Although it may be illegal, I'm certain there isn't going to be a successful crackdown. It would be about as effective as people download MP3s and using emulators with ROMs instead of buying console games.

The other reason there may not be a crackdown is because there would be a way to embarrass politicians who wish to enforce Deere's proprietary code. The the farmers and low ranking mechanics will claim that they are the poor people being crushed under a huge corporation, known as Deere.

The other problem Deere would face is that companies that make equipment simpler to service will gain in popularity. Just think of the people who had a VW, couldn't stand the high repair and maintenance costs, and bought a Honda or a Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back