Any audio gear junkies here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a gear hog when it comes to audio gear and thought we could have a discussion / showoff thread. I am not an audiophile in the classic sense, I really do enjoy listening to music on anything from a boom box on up. I am a gear junkie and buy and sell audio stuff all the time. I admittedly spend way to much money but I am happy. I am 95% digital and have a collection of about 1200 cd's and about 50 records

Current systems
0826152050a.jpg

0924151555_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150527_144657178.jpg

I have about 6 to 7 different amps and 5 different speakers I rotate.

Originally Posted By: AndyB
Nice! Are the tube monoblocks 2A3's or 300b's?

Thanks,
Andy

The ones in the pic are custom 300b's. I also have a set of 845's when I want to heat my room in winter
smile.gif

1006151218_HDR.jpg

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What kindve speakers are those in the last pic?

Those are Tannoy Kennsignton GR's I love them and are 1 of 2 set's of speakers I own that I feel I will never part with. The woodwork on them is just beautiful and pictures do not do them justice. They sound pretty good as well
smile.gif

IMGP0827.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ebr1190rx
Well, I'm into a bit bigger wattage...
00000_i3y9Pe0MfqS_1200x900.jpg

Holy cow! I love it, can you give me a breakdown of what I am looking at?

Those are Ballantyne MX 100's I think. Worked on ton's of those at drive ins. A lot of B+ on those tubes. Thinking they were around 100w.

Thanks,
Andy

Very nice rig just put in a Odyssey Khartago Extreme amp just running a pair of Infinity towers shopping for a pair of Salk Soundscape 8

Ballantyne Royal SoundMaster MX-24d's heavily reworked and restored. 1300vdc at just over an amp B+ on the 805
Outputs. 200 watts clean 340 at 3% thd.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Very nice rig just put in a Odyssey Khartago Extreme amp just running a pair of Infinity towers shopping for a pair of Salk Soundscape 8

Odyssey Khartago Extreme is such a great amp. I sold mine because I made a good profit but sometimes wish I kept it.

I have heard some Salk speakers. I am willing to bet once you get them you will love them. They are a speaker that needs some room to sound great. My buddy had them to close to the wall and they sounded dead, but once we moved them . . . bliss

Originally Posted By: dave123
I ask what preamp you ran on your Khartago amp?

I mostly used the Audible Illusions L3 I own. I also used a Maple Tree Audio that was similar to the Line 2c they have now but was a one off he did.

It sounded good with the tube pre's if you are into that sort of thing. I never tried it with a SS pre because I don't own one.

I have a combination of new and old gear.

For my main system I have Mirage M1 speakers and a Mark Levinson No 23 Power amp, along with a Benchmark DAC-1 preamp. The source is the digital out from a Mission PCM 7000 CD player. The Benchmark DAC is designed to control the release of digital information, eliminating jitter. That system sounds very nice, with either subtlety or brute power depending on what you want.

My second system uses KEF 101 speakers and a SONOS source. I had been using a Cyrus 2 integrated amp (a classic) but one channel has started cutting out. A friend has just given me a Yamaha (65 watt) Receiver so we'll see how that works. The receiver is intended for a theater system but I can't hold that against it. It has a subwoofer out which might be a big step forward. I suppose I could bi-amp my speakers as well. With 5 channels there are lots of options.

I also have a NAD 3020 integrated amplifier, another classic, but it needs switch repairs as well. That seems to be the weak point of old gear, the switches go and are getting hard to replace.

I was previously running an older Harman-Kardon receiver that fed some Yorkville 2000 PA power amps, but retired those.

Current setup:

DENON AVR-X4200
SpeakerCraft SC2-100 power amp (for the sub)
2x ancient Cerwin-Vega D3's w/McIntosh tweeters, Bravox woofers
1x McIntosh unpowered sub w/12" Bravox EDX DVC (fed by the SpeakerCraft)

Hydro prices in Ontario being what they are, downsizing to more efficient gear made sense. The SpeakerCraft and DENON stuff use way, WAY less power. Also, the DENON does AirPlay, so I can just play to it directly from iTunes, which is nice.

I enjoy my pair of Cerwin Vega DX-5s hooked to a 2 channel Harmann Kardon amp, its little compared to whats shown above but I had it all given and it sounds great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back