Scratched interior plastic woodgrain trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Buick's trim on the center console is pretty scratched up (it's been like that since I got it). I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what to do- wet sand it, use some kind of chemical, or anything else?

image2_zpsdsxnui8g.jpg

image1_zpsz0mu8wds.jpg

Thanks so much!

What ever you do,do not wet sand it. Best bet it Old English dark. Cabinet people call it FM,fin' magic.

Since it not real wood I'd use some Meguiars Plasti-X on it. It also works in the gauge cluster if that's all scratched up as well.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Since it not real wood I'd use some Meguiars Plasti-X on it. It also works in the gauge cluster if that's all scratched up as well.

+1 The best you can do is dull it away. The critic might have something that will work. He is the best when it comes to detailing related questions.

+1 That's what I was thinking too. Remove it, a very light scuff with a grey scuff pad, water based prepsol and med gloss 2k clear. All harmless to plastic.

Edit: go to the pick a part yard and frig around with similar panels or get a clean used one if there is one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Wow if it can be used on the gauge cluster, it must be some pretty gentle stuff. Usually those things scratch and get dull if you look at them sideways. These scratches might need something more aggressive. That looks like somebody gave a dog free reign in the car.

You don't want to get too aggressive and get into the pattern or create worn through spots, in my experience its better to fill scratches than trying to remove the surrounding material of the scratches so they blend in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back