Are you a oil hoarder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Carlo

Hello from Holland Europe.

I've made some pics from my motoroil stock.
Grease lightning andburn rubber LOL

What are you using that oil in?

I'm not familiar with the Aveno or the "77"

I run inventory:
12 qts QSUD5w30 wifes car
20 qts Valvoline syn Blend 5w30
20 qts Valvoline full syn 5w30
16 qts Rotells T-5 10w30
20 qts Penzoil full syn 5w40
20 qts QSGB 5w30

I'm good for my fleet ,,, I can wait until AZ does it's winter clearance and wal mart screws up its 3 5 qt sales

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I consider myself a 'collector'.

I'm an "investor", when it's 40% to 50% off, that's the time to pick some up.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That certainly works here, too. By the way, happy birthday!

Thanks mate.

What do you guys do with your 50 gallons of oil if you no longer have a car that uses that type? I can't imagine others would pay much to buy your old jugs of oil.

Just with close family there's like 17 or 18 cars to maintain
laugh.gif
Stashing isn't a problem^^

No as there is always sale on somewhere.

I would not stock more than 2 years in advance so the oil is used up and doesn't exceed the 4-5 years from date of manufacture.

Last edited:
Wow, you should marry her soon!
I think I might be one because whenever I see really good sales
I buy it and now I got like a whole closet full

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
What do you guys do with your 50 gallons of oil if you no longer have a car that uses that type? I can't imagine others would pay much to buy your old jugs of oil.

I calculated how much oil I will need for the remainder of my car's life, and got that amount when the getting was good.

Most people at my work don't change their own oil, they just go to a local garage to get their car "serviced", which is the code word for an expensive oil change. Yet when I talk to these same local garage / mechanic shops, they only ever stock three bulk oil: 5W30 SN semi-syn, 10W40 semi-syn A3/B4 and a mineral 15W-40 HDEO for the diesels.

My oil stash ....errrr....investment portfolio offers a better selection than this.

Also many engines that appear in north America also appear in Australia. The Buick 3.8L V6 is a good example. In NA they appear to recommend 5W-30 or 10W-30 yet in Australia the same engine is recommended to use 15W-40 or 20W-50. So in Australia if you stick to 30 or 40 grade oil, you have pretty much everything covered.

BTW I was speaking to the local Jeep dealer about the new Patriot (fully imported and the same one you get in the USA) and I asked him what oil to use, he said the recommend grade was 5W-40. What would they use in the same engine in the USA ? 5W-20?

Anyway I think most engines are less fussy on oil than the average BITOG member.

Me ? I'm homing in on 5W-30 or 10W-30 A3/B4 as my do all grade for everything.

My favorite oil mmayorca. Im slowly beginning to accept Synpower. The car runs great on VDB but I havent tried it in the truck yet. A case here is (12) is like $60. You can get oil deals with a filter and five quarts for about $25, or singles right off the shelf are $7. Great oil, not very popular here and not everyone carries it. Heck, the rep on the Valvoline hotline tried to sell me on Maxlife when I ask a question on DuraBlend!

It happens all the time. The vehicle that the oil is spec'ed for is either sold or otherwise disposed of (crashed). Then the oils are given away or sold for next to nothing. Shipping is cost prohibitive so it's hard to sell. As I stated earlier-the "hording" is done by a very small group of individuals compared to TOTAL BITOG members.

No, I only buy a jug ahead now, I used to have a bunch kicking around, but now I just buy one sometime a month or so before I need to do an oil change (when I can find the best deal) and that's about it anymore.

The oil inside the box it's actualy Synpower 5w30. I bought it online and the dealer shipped with a Durablend cardbox. I'm thinking about start to use the Maxlife. Nonetheless they are top tier lubricants. Here in Brazil the Synpower cost around US$ 6.12 (R$20) for 1 Liter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back