Brand Comparison between 5w-40 vs. 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone for sharing knowledge with me over and over again. I appreciate it.

I think I have narrowed down 2 types of oil I want to run exclusively in my 2014 Ford F550 6.7 powerstroke diesel (always under load and towing a 6,000 pound car). Currently using Mobil Delvac 5w-40. Curious what your thoughts are on Mobil Delvac 5w-40 vs. Kendall Super-D XA Diesel 15w-40.

Mobile Kendall
Flashpoint (Celsius) = 249 Flashpoint (Celsius) = 229
Pour Point (Celsius) = -48 Pour Point (Celsius) = -40

What takeaways should I consider when using either of these?
My ultimate goals are maximum engine and turbo protection (best wear numbers) and less soot production.

Mobil Kendall
Sulfated Ash = 1.0 Sulfated Ash = 0.95

Does the Kendall marginally reduce soot into DPF?

What do you all think? Maybe I am over thinking this and being ridiculous?

Thanks,

Are you sure the flash point is right. My 7.3 oil temps pulling my horse trailer will run up as high as 245 and I don't have any problems with a 10w-30 dino oil. I also run dino HDEO 15w-40 in my Harley and I have seen 265 temps with that and no problems.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp

What do you all think? Maybe I am over thinking this and being ridiculous?

Yes.
smile.gif

Honestly either one will get you all the miles you want out of that engine. Unless you're vacationing in an arctic location (or Ford requires it) there's no need for the 5W40. On the other hand, if you acquire the Delvac at a lower price than the Kendall...why not use it?

I don't know, but I can't imagine that the slightly lower ash content of the Kendall is significant in the long run. It can't hurt, though. My '16 freightliner (with a Detroit DD13) allows CI-4+ oil to be used. I think CI-4+ had a limit of 1.6% sulfated ash (?) so I would expect more regens and certainly would have to get the DPF pulled off for cleaning much sooner.

With your truck, I'd use either of the two (Delvac or Kendall) as they both meet the Ford spec and they will both do a great job. I'm just assuming that you are sticking to factory recommended oci's, of course.

Thanks Dustyroads. Appreciate the advice. Exactly the situation I am in (Delvac because I got it super cheap).

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
With your truck, I'd use either of the two (Delvac or Kendall) as they both meet the Ford spec and they will both do a great job.
In the mainstream oils that I have used (Rotella T6 5W-40, Kendall Super-Dxa 15W-40, Delo 400 LE 5W-40, Delo 400 XLE 10W-30, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 and Motorcraft 10W-30) only the Rotella T6 and Kendall have the Ford specification (WSS-M2C171–E), but obviously all of them meet API CJ-4.

OP, my ranking of those oils are (based upon performance, "noisiness", cost, and availability):

1 - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 (most expensive synthetic, but "best" overall--IMHO)
2 - Kendall Super-Dxa 15W-40 (reasonable synblend, quietest, availability can be spotty)
3 - Delo 400 LE 5W-40 (least expensive synthetic, good performance and noise, available everywhere)
4 - Rotella T6 5W-40 (mid-cost synthetic, noisiest, good performance and available everywhere)
5 - Delo 400 XLE 10W-30 (least expensive synblend, noisier than other oils used, available everywhere)
6 - Motorcraft 10W-30 (expensive conventional, available most everywhere, performance not known)

If you choose to use Delvac 1 ESP, you cannot go wrong with it, but the Kendall is great too. In fact, I do not think any of the oils in the list above are "bad" and all of them will give a long life. Pick one and use it or use all of them.

Thanks 2015_PSD for setting it straight on the Ford spec. I apologize to the OP for my inaccuracy.
blush.gif
I was sure that the Delvac 1 had it covered but I guess not.

The Delvac 1 is still a fine choice. If the price is right, have at it. If you can get Kendall 15W40 for less, that will get the job done, too.

I've talked to the oil guys at the big truck shows and they always insist that 5W40 is better for cold weather and a little better fuel economy, but no better than conventional 15W40 for engine life (unless you want to do extended drains way beyond factory oci's).

Thanks Dustyroads and PSD_2015. Appreciate all the wisdom and advice. Best.

The Delvac 1 is still a fine choice. If the price is right, have at it.
Dusty - totally agree. It is my favorite thus far, but it is pricey. I stay on the lookout for "deals". Hopefully PepBoys will have another Black Friday special on it this year and I will grab more.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
The Delvac 1 is still a fine choice. If the price is right, have at it.
Dusty - totally agree. It is my favorite thus far, but it is pricey. I stay on the lookout for "deals". Hopefully PepBoys will have another Black Friday special on it this year and I will grab more.

If I were a local/regional trucker, I'd try to get it during sales and give it a run, too. These days I get my oil changed wherever I am in the country and an oil change with the Delvac 1 is approximately $450-$550 depending on the shop.

Rotella T6 costs the same (for a truckstop service) but I can often get deals to make it reasonable. I just don't normally take advantage of the deals and run synthetic blend or conventional.

FWIW...it's the Delvac 1 LE 5W30 that lists the Ford spec in the "meets or exceeds" list. I was sure that I saw it listed, I just had the wrong D1 formula.

Hi,

FWIW...it's the Delvac 1 LE 5W30 that lists the Ford spec in the "meets or exceeds" list. I was sure that I saw it listed, I just had the wrong D1 formula.

The container of French produced Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 in my stock states it "Meets Requirements"; of Ford WSS-M2C171-E amongst many others

This is a modern top tier product in the HDEO lubricants field

Those prices are criminal. I can get a Schaeffer 5w40 full synthetic delivered free to my house for abut $22 a gallon if I were to buy it. And that is in gallon jugs. Cheaper yet if I buy a drum. 10 gallons in my semi when I change it. Not way I am going to pay $400-$500 for a oil change in my semi. Mobil is sure proud of their Delvac 1 line to price it the way they do. And Schaeffer gets it's PAO base oil from Mobil. Schaeffer 9000 5w40 is a 25% PAO/ 75% Grp III blend full synthetic. At least they are honest to actually say so compared to many other brands who hide that type of information from their users.

I agree tired trucker. Would not be running unless for recent deals. 2015_PSD, I agree on the ranking...Thanks again for sharing your experiences. Hopefully Mobil delvac 5w40 has another rebate again...will continue to stock up.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Those prices are criminal. I can get a Schaeffer 5w40 full synthetic delivered free to my house for abut $22 a gallon if I were to buy it. And that is in gallon jugs.

You're not kidding. I still don't understand why I get Delvac 1 so cheap up here, aside from the fact that truckers and farmers won't put up with price games. I pay roughly the same price for Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 as you do for the Schaeffer, if not a tiny bit cheaper, after correcting for container size and the differences in our dollars.

Tired Trucker,

I wonder if Mobill Delvac 5w40 is somewhere in the 25% PAO / 75% group III as well? Hard to find anything on Mobil's site regarding that info. Always been interested in Schaeffers...just been trying to get the best oil for the best price. Thanks for the inside info on Schaeffers.

Thanks Garak,

I heard the reason companies use group III with PAOs is because PAOs don't keep the additives in suspension as well? Was curious if that is true? Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back