Hengst and Purflux AC Delco date codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to get a new Ecotec oil filter with the cap PF458G, and I got a NOS Purflux, with the zig-zag pleats. The date code is 11V25OCT01-08

Is this old filter safe to use? The media is an orange color now, rather dark, but there is no metal to rust.

Is it October 25, 2001, or is it October 1, 2008?

If the filter itself isn't safe to use, I have a newer Hengst cartridge (PF457G). I really just needed the gasket and cap, and the cap isn't a wear item. The PF457G doesn't come with a gasket. The Purflux doesn't smell any worse than the Hengst.

And while we're at it, how do you decode Hengst date codes? It's either 40DOJ or 12-605-566.

Interestingly, the plastic end caps are slightly different material. Purflux uses PA66-GF20, while Hengst uses PA6-GF30

IMAG0103.jpg

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I would use the Hengst given the excellent luck I've had with them ony sister's Cruze.

Yeah, I'll probably use the Hengst for now, and then maybe next OCI I'll buy a newer Purflux to try.

I'm going to stick with these three filters for the Ecotec:
AC Delco PF457G/458G (Hengst E630H)
Purflux L264A
Mann HU 6007x

Note that Mahle isn't on the list because the Mahle for this Ecotec is made in India.

FWIW, the manager of the Snappy Lube where I have the oil changed in my Ecotec insists that the BLUE
gaskets are lifetime as long as they are undamaged. Local GM dealer sells just the gasket for $3 but I didn't ask if it was the Blue one. Parts guy did admit that some of their mechanics changed
the gasket each time, and some didn't!

Last edited:
The service manual states that the o-ring on the cap is reuseable and this is why one isn't provided with the GM replacement cartridge.

You can order 'kits' that include the filter and the o-ring but you won't get a Hengst filter with it.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
You can order 'kits' that include the filter and the o-ring but you won't get a Hengst filter with it.

If you're talking about buying the PF458G from the dealer, it does indeed come with a Hengst filter, and the cap also says Hengst on it
smile.gif

The NOS kit I bought on eBay came with a Purflux, but that was GM's OE supplier at the time. Since they use Hengst now, a new 458G will come with a Hengst.

You can also buy the Hengst E630H from Hengst, but without the GM stamp on the filter, of course. That one includes the O-ring. Same with the Mann and Purflux. All three are OE quality.

one O-ring, one OCI
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
One O-ring, one OCI
lol.gif

LoL ... don't get BOF started. Good thing he doesn't have a vehicle with a cartridge type oil filter.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
FWIW, the manager of the Snappy Lube where I have the oil changed in my Ecotec insists that the BLUE
gaskets are lifetime as long as they are undamaged.

Those are probably silicone O-rings, which should be reusable as long as they aren't damaged/nicked. Plain old nitrile O-rings will get hard and take a set, so should be replaced with each filter change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back