GM LS 6.0 Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Maybe since you are in Texas you should kick a 5w to the curb and keep a 10W in the sump.

I live in Iowa and I use 10w30 in a 2015 2500 6.0L. It is extremely rare to see temps getting below -20F, and the pickup resides in a heated garage when not being used. Same for my 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6L, 10w30. Same for my commercial semi truck, 10w30, but in a HDEO variety. It doesn't sit in a heated garage when not working, but it does have an oil pan heater. In fact, everything from my Yamaha portable generator on up thru the semi all get a 10w30 of one form or another and various brands.

I have a 5.3 in my Tahoe with AFM and 188k. I burned m1 5-30 about 1 qt per 8-10k and it made my lifters really tick. Penzoil HM and Valvaline HM really quiet my engine and burn less than 1/2 quart every 8-10 k.

I too would like to run an HDEO 5-40 just to simplify my stash. Also I feel like it "needs" it given how hard I drive her. I am interested in seeing the response to your question.

I use XW40 in everything including a 2013 5.3L.
I'm not a huge fan of 0w40 HDEOs except for severe winter conditions.
But, I can see a pail of Delvac 5w40 in the near future.

Erie PA?

Miss my 2004 2500HD 6.0 gasser. It was an excellent truck. Sold it in November 2014 with 100,000 miles on it using Chevron 5w-30 for its entire life. I was hard on the truck and it didn't burn a lick of oil, however I did change the oil every 3,000 miles due to my short commute to work. Wish I still had that truck.
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
But, I can see a pail of Delvac 5w40 in the near future.

It's totally unfair that they get it in pails in the States, but not up here. I guess I really can't complain about the container size, given what I pay for the product.

FYI, stay away from M1 extended performance if you're having burn off issues. Try regular M1 and see if you get back to normal. I used the ep in my sisters Cruze once. It used oil. Return to regular M1, back to 1/2 quart added over 6000 miles, very reasonable for an engine as rough on oil as this 1.4L. I don't hold M1 EP in high regard, it just isn't as good as regular M1.

I wanted to follow up on this thread. 5K miles ago I did an oil change to the Delo 10w30 after some lengthy conversation with wwilson.

While I still burned 1 quart over the 5K miles, the engine runs much smoother AND the lifter tick is no more. Very happy with how the HDEO in 10w30 preformed.

Next summer I may try a HDEO in 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back