Bst.Price On Brand NewSUV?Negotiate Before Rebate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question i am going with a friend to buy a new 2017 full size Santa Fe SE for his wife. What is a good price for that vehicle and should i negotiate before or after all rebates? The car msrp is $33,965 He said he thinks he can get it for $30,000 +tax what does everyone think?? I was thinking cheaper than that but im out of the loop buying cars these days.

He also looked at explorer but wants the Hyundai warranty.

Should he try to make the best deal then take off all the rebates or will that not work with the dealer?

I'd aim from 25k plus tax, license etc. Watch the doc fees.

This is based on a quick cars.com sort.

Using the car equipment he wants, get a quote from Truecar and Edmunds to have in hand. Edmunds will tell you if there are any factory to dealer incentives or "holdback" money. Then start the dealer negotiations at a lower price point. It always helps your bargaining position if the dealer has in stock the vehicle your friend wants.

Don't get in a hurry. No trade is best. If a member, check the Costco price. Otherwise offer invoice less the rebates. Check Edmunds to get the invoice numbers.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Quick question i am going with a friend to buy a new 2017 full size Santa Fe SE for his wife. What is a good price for that vehicle and should i negotiate before or after all rebates?

be extremely wary of helping anyone buy a car unless you are a licensed broker. replace "i" with "he". no good deed goes unpunished.

He was at the dealer already we are going back tonight.. The dealer said $29,800 with everything included, except tax.. What does everyone think?/ I think maybe he should try for a better deal but im not sure..There were a lot of rebates and other things he qualified for.

A family member of ours purchased one for $25K. They initially said "we don't have one on the lot and cannot find one in the southeast for that price". She said, OK, no problem and walked out. Three days of not hearing from her again, they miraculously found a base model 3.3L, third row examble for that price. She really likes it and the base model has everything (and more) that i'd need.

Very much like this...

0f8f799e255c408aab669ddd80ecb518.jpg

If you don't know the invoice price yet, how will you recognize a good deal? Tell your friend about Edmunds.

that is a very nice vehicle ..How long did they have it and how does it run and ride..
He needs an all wheel drive because his wife drives all winter to work..
Someone said the front wheel drive you have has slightly more power than the all wheel drive.

If you would just do a nationwide new car screen on Cars.com you will see there are multiple listings for new AWD Santa Fe's for 25k or lower. Dont make this overly complicated. Takes about two minutes and you will see what kind of deal you should be getting.

Even if your local dealer doesn't list them that low, you at least know how hard you can push them because somebody is selling them for that price.

You are not coming near 25k. Look up invoice on edmunds there is a 3% holdback and current no dealer cash. Then minus the rebates. If you need help let me know

The price dictated by the market not by some arbitrary invoice set by the manufacturer. He may not get 25k in NJ but knowing that somebody is selling them at that price gives him a bargaining range.

Personally, I'd fly to Michigan to buy the car if it saves me a few k.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
The price dictated by the market not by some arbitrary invoice..

^^^ This.

You can fire out any low offer you want to see if it sticks. If the particular vehicle you're after is a hot seller at the moment, it's going to go nowhere. Trucks and SUVs are not bargains at the moment with fuel costs not being much of an issue for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back