MC FL820 6,000km's Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear lots of bad things here lately about FL-820s but I ALSO remember hearing that it was the only one that could quiet/silence/shorten startup chain rattle on 4.6's. I guess I will see first hand as I've run the last 2 OCI's in the Mutineer with MC filters and upcoming will switch to an XG2... however will also switch from 5w-20 blend to 0w-30 full syn.

I've never seen one with such inconsistent pleat spacing, but they are straight nonetheless.

I gave up on the 820s when mine would have pleats basically creased in the center after 5k of easy usage.

Too bad though. $4 for a syn blend media filter and silicone ADBV is a great buy. There's still the 400s!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
they may be on hundreds of thousand of engines but there is no proof they are performing well at all their quality went into the garbage can..They used to be good filters but not anymore I am switching to the Fram Ultra XG-2 on all my fords the only thing is my Moms Mercury Grand Marquis has such a tight squeeze im not sure if im going to like that on there but i won't use Motorcraft anymore thats for sure.

Im Wondering Why Ford puts up with these quality issues... Sooner or later something has to change.. Everyone should write to Ford..

Have you tried turning the drivers side wheel outboard to give you more clearance. I always did that with my 96 Merc GM and made the filter much easier to remove.

Im Wondering Why Ford puts up with these quality issues... Sooner or later something has to change.. Everyone should write to Ford..

Unfortunately, FoMoCo probably couldn't care less. I'm a Ford guy (own 3 currently) but their quality lately, IMO, has been in the toilet and they don't fix problems they're aware of such as:

1. Corroding/paint peeling aluminum hoods on the Mustang (they issued a TSB about it, but it still continues);

2. Clunking, grinding and generally all around junky MT-82 Getrags in the Mustangs - note that this is a tranny rated for 360 ft lbs in a vehicle with 390 ft lbs
shocked.gif

3. Tons of 2011-2014 F-150's vibrating at 55-60MPH with no apparent fix. Ford says it's 'normal.'

4. Misfiring and shuddering 3.5 ecoboosts (some say they're fixed, others say no).

5. The abortion of a transmission called the 'powershift' in the Focus and Fiesta, which is absolute junk and you can count on having to replace a clutch every couple thousand miles.

The list goes on, but these are just some of the things I've seen or experienced over the past 5 years, and Ford does little to nothing to fix the issues.

Again, I am a Ford fan, but would I buy a new one with the intention of keeping it for more than a couple years? No way. They need to step up their game and stop letting the customers be guinea pigs for new products.

Absolutely!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The 820 has unfortunately established itself as the ugly duckling of the Motorcraft line of late.

Wait til people buy the 2015, and 2016 F-150's and discover the throttle body's are [censored] out. Done 6 already. I am a ford guy and older Jeep nut

Still using Motorcraft here on all my Ford, without loose sleep. 4-5k or 6 month which ever come first.

vr7trm.jpg

this is recently couple day ago for my 98 GT

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
they may be on hundreds of thousand of engines but there is no proof they are performing well at all their quality went into the garbage can..They used to be good filters but not anymore I am switching to the Fram Ultra XG-2 on all my fords the only thing is my Moms Mercury Grand Marquis has such a tight squeeze im not sure if im going to like that on there but i won't use Motorcraft anymore thats for sure.

Have you tried turning the drivers side wheel outboard to give you more clearance. I always did that with my 96 Merc GM and made the filter much easier to remove.

Doesn't work on 2003 up as it has rack and pinion steering.

Originally Posted By: car51
Wait til people buy the 2015, and 2016 F-150's and discover the throttle body's are [censored] out. Done 6 already. I am a ford guy and older Jeep nut

Uh-oh...We just leased a '16 F-150 with the 2.7. Have the issues been resolved with revised parts or is it still a problem?

Originally Posted By: Canadastang

3. Tons of 2011-2014 F-150's vibrating at 55-60MPH with no apparent fix. Ford says it's 'normal.'

The 2015~2017 Mustangs also have a vibration issue going on. Quite a few guys on the Mustang boards have gotten their Mustangs bought back by Ford because the dealerships can't resolve the vibration. Not all suffer the vibration.

Looks like an oil filter to me--looks fine. I don't see any problems. The glue and ends came off because you took the filter out of the can and pulled on it. The ends don't have the room to move inside the can so they won't come off. (and didn't come off because you removed them after cutting open the filter) There is no glue inside your engine. Why? Because the end caps didn't come apart because you took them apart outside of the can. See?

Have not heard of these problems. My Milan has 177,000 miles and the Escape has 179,000 miles without any oil related problems. Both have been fitted with MC 820 and 820s filters since new. What gives?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The end cap assembling failed, supposed to be glued on.

Didn't OP pull it off after the filter was cut open?

Originally Posted By: TNpowerstroke
Have not heard of these problems. My Milan has 177,000 miles and the Escape has 179,000 miles without any oil related problems. Both have been fitted with MC 820 and 820s filters since new. What gives?

Following some of the sentiments in this thread you should probably change the oil and filter immediately and never use Motorcraft again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back