LC9/LC9S Slide Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
My interest in the LC9S has been recently piqued. The trigger on the one I tried at the gun counter at Gander was SO smooth. The triggers are also fairly light, at less than 5 pounds. It felt very nice.

I currently have a 9mm Shield which I really enjoy. It has a Melonited stainless steel slide that has exhibited practically ZERO wear, even holstering in kydex holsters. I've been very impressed with the durability of its finish. For those with an LC9 or an LC9S, how durable is the slide finish? Ruger describes it as "blued". Is it truly just a blued steel, or does it have a parkerized or nitrided coating? The one I sampled at Gander didn't strike me as a traditional blued finish, but more similar to the matte finish like my Shield. I'm curious how the finish on one of these looks after lots of holstering.

Not a make-it-or-break-it thing...just curious.

If you're talkin slide wear where it contacts the guides in the frame, I've never seen a finish that don't wear off a bit if you shot at the range 2 -3 times a month, year in and year out.

The steel under the finish is heat treated / hardened. I use Break Free as a lube or even a dab of light gun grease in the slide rails or grooves.

Have a good one!

I have not used mine enough to notice any wear at all. It would be cosmetic only which is not an issue. Its a tool.

The trigger is amazing. Buy the LC9s Pro that comes without the safety and mag disconnect. I hasten to point out that I don't have the Pro. Not a problem for me. Obviously don't buy the LC9.

Its more carryable (to me) than the shield. (Lighter and a bit smaller). I have had more stovepipes though than my G43 or Shield. Shield may be the most reliable 9mm of any 9 mm. The front sight is a problem in that it works loose and sent back to the factory to pin. (1 week turnaround..great service..the best) The problem may not exist anymore. It comes with only 1 mag.

I am not sorry I bought it, but I must admit I favor the G43. If I had to do it all over I probably would not have bought it. Nothing wrong with having the Shield, LC9s, and G43 though. There is just something about a Glock though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Also check this:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=219734

That's helpful.

I've looked at at all of the different options of finishes on the LC9-S, and it seems to be only blued (for the dark finish). Reports of rusting are unfortunate. The Shield, of course, is all stainless up there. It's also interesting that the Ruger generally sells for more than the Shield, despite the Shield having arguably better material quality, and coming with two magazines (vs. the LC9-S's one magazine).

@i_hate_autofraud, sorry if I wasn't clear -- I was asking about holster wear on the slide. Cosmetic wear. Despite a good number of holsterings, my Shield doesn't really exhibit any. I've owned guns that are less durable for that kind of thing, and was wondering how the finish on the LC series holds up with a lot of use like that.

Maybe I will not supplement my Shield with one of these. I must admit to having really fallen for that super smooth trigger. But if the rest of the gun isn't really a good buy, then a good trigger isn't worth much.

I have ab LC9s and really like it. But I wouldn't consider the finish to be indestructible. My EDC is a S&W SS jframe that has a finish that is indestructible. That said. You can keep any of the Rugers from rusting by spraying them down with G96 aerosol and wipe off. I soak all of my guns with that when new. Never had a corrosion issue. I also put one drop of synthetic grease on the slide rails as well. But I would imagine you'll have some wear on any blued finish in an EDC.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Maybe I will not supplement my Shield with one of these. I must admit to having really fallen for that super smooth trigger. But if the rest of the gun isn't really a good buy, then a good trigger isn't worth much.

That's the way I see it. Its (I think) a better carry than the shield and as good as the G43. But I just don't trust it.

My LC-9S Pro is my edc. No complaints about finish, reliability, no FTF, FTE, nothing. I run 100 rounds a month through it at my local range.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
My LC-9S Pro is my edc. No complaints about finish, reliability, no FTF, FTE, nothing. I run 100 rounds a month through it at my local range.

I intend to start shooting mine more using Aguila ammunition (124 gm). It previously stovepiped on 115 gm. Stuff. It's a wonderful edc. I would love to carry it again.

Carrying an LC9S right now. I have a small spot near the front of the slide wear the bluing rubbed off from my holster. It's an excellent CCW pistol, but could have had two things to make it perfect in my eyes. First is a second magazine. Come on, Ruger! Everybody and their brother offers a second mag. And second are the sights. They just seem a bit on the small side for my eyes during range time. Replacement Tru-Glo sights will cure that. As for price, I got mine on sale for $329, which is pretty good. Excellent trigger pull, completely reliable, and a joy to carry in my Clinger Atom holster. I hardly notice it on me, it's so light.

L8R,
Matt

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
I got mine on sale for $329, which is pretty good.
Matt

And you want another mag for that price? Yea, I understand but the lack of second mag is priced in.

How many rounds through it? How many stovepipes?
So far 150 rounds of Aguila (124 gm) through it..no problems. Needs to do 500 rounds with no stovepipes.

Last edited:
Not a lot of rounds. Maybe 300 at the most of American Eagle 124gr along with Hornady XTP 115gr to make sure it feeds reliably. No failures of any kind so far and not really expecting any. I clean my pistols after every range trip, and every couple weeks from carrying to keep the lint out of it. Another Ruger mag will run another $30. All in all, this is a great little 9mm.

L8R,
Matt

I clean my pistols after every range trip,
L8R,
Matt

Yea I clean my pistols more than I shoot them. Maybe that's my problem. One thing for sure is that the first shot will absolutely work. I keep the mindset that the first shot is the most important.

Originally Posted By: Al
I clean my pistols after every range trip,
L8R,
Matt

Yea I clean my pistols more than I shoot them. Maybe that's my problem. One thing for sure is that the first shot will absolutely work. I keep the mindset that the first shot is the most important.

That's a big ol' bingo!

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back