Magnetec "Edged" out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running and shamelessly promoting Castrol SS Magnetec since It went into the Rogue sump last Winter (beginning of January 2016). Well it was time for OCI #5 and the second one this year and I found myself at Wally World in Epping, NH looking for another bottle of Magnetic SS 5w-30 - as I have found NO complaints with this oil. The Rogue is now exiting its break in period approaching 20 thousand miles on the clock. Now Here, there is less chance of confusing break in detritus with oil performance.
Well fickle fate would have it that, what was on sale but 'Castrol Edge Gold bottle Extended Performance’ for twenty-five smackers out the door. Yes I was happy with Magnetec SS. What could I gain with Gold bottle EP? I am not a fan of over-stuffed EP oils for prescribed short interval oil changes. But, But.... Using typically flawed oil fanatic reasoning I said to myself, "Myself, here lies the chance to COMPARE two oils in nearly the same circumstance. Maybe the outlay of that extra seven bucks over a jug of Green bottle may give me SOMETHING?"
I have long term moving average fuel mileage (currently a fair to poor indicated 24.8 MPG in-town over almost 6000 miles). I am deaf above 6KHZ but maybe I could casually assess engine NVH changes. Harder to quantify, I could possibly report of maintenance of power across the OCI. Maybe I might notice more peak power? (Maybe not as the Magnetec has been surprisingly bountiful).
Well I expect MORE engine noise, maybe a little MPG nudge as the Magnetec was possibly tired, and maybe a bit more power as rings may be less prone to sticking. If not, why should I use it in MY circumstance? Nissan wants an oil change every 5K miles, regardless. I will push to 7 or 8 thousand if all “feels” well. Yes I do rely on feel more than an engineer should.
I plan to give an initial report next week with short term fuel mileage and any casual NVH and power assessments. If after 5 K miles I see no benefit, it will be back to Magnatec SS pocketing 7 bucks – enough for a decent six-pack of some tasty locally brewed Ale.

Cheers.

Lets not forget todays fuel efficient oils have to meet the mpgs that a PAO oil would give so It will be interesting if there is a mpg or any other difference . We are in the habit of comparing syn vs Conventional oils hyped by the 1970 style marketing comparisons.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I plan to give an initial report next week with short term fuel mileage and any casual NVH and power assessments.

When was the last time your butt-dyno was calibrated?

I don't think anecdotal and subjective are strong enough qualifier words for the upcoming "results".

I REALLY wish Castrol would bring 10W40 Magnatec over here. I also wonder this. Castrol has had three different synth blends since I've been changing oil. Syntec Blend,High Mileage,and Magnatec. Are there really any true major differences between these three oils?

7 bucks for a six-pack?? You guys are living the dream
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I REALLY wish Castrol would bring 10W40 Magnatec over here. I also wonder this. Castrol has had three different synth blends since I've been changing oil. Syntec Blend,High Mileage,and Magnatec. Are there really any true major differences between these three oils?

Syntec blend was replaced by Magnatec, it was very good but IMO Magnatec is even better. The high mileage is a blend but looking hard at what little info Castrol gives you, coupled with having used it a lot, I am convinced it is one of the lowest percentage "blends" on the market. Still great oil, but I am convinced nowhere near as much syn in it as a Dexos blend.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I plan to give an initial report next week with short term fuel mileage and any casual NVH and power assessments.

When was the last time your butt-dyno was calibrated?

I don't think anecdotal and subjective are strong enough qualifier words for the upcoming "results".

This is how we live: primarily qualitatively. Good enough for me but likely not good enough for many.
I was an audiophile decades ago, measurements didn't describe the quality of an amplifier. Measurements were in a box for too many years and were not sufficient to translate to real world appreciation. So Facts don't necessarily = satisfaction.

Last edited:
That would explain why you are def above 6kHz ...

I would bet, even without a marked hearing impediment, you will no more be able to tell the qualitative quality of Castrol edge vs magnatech, than you realistically can between Lanzar Vibe and McIntosh.....

That is to say, the differences in a double blind test would prove inconclusive.

I am still phase sensitive and pretty good from 100hz-5K. A lot of music there.

You have to live with equipment a while to appreciate them. Not a fan of double blind.

I Worked with Roy Cizek and Dr. Godehard Guenther in the Boston area in the late 70's.

I am still phase sensitive and pretty good from 100hz-5K. A lot of music there.

You have to live with equipment a while to appreciate them. Not a fan of double blind.

I Worked with Roy Cizek and Dr. Godehard Guenther in the Boston area in the late 70's.

I had a set of L-710 that I loved for many years. Foolishly traded them for some B&W that I did not like near as much. Would have loved to hear a set of L-1290

Good speakers.. Not phase coherent but minimum phase and very neutral and dynamic.

My issue I was trying to make my (varous) ADS sound good with a Yamaha A1 integrated. A lttle too tight with the current outlay.

Then I got a Holman APT 1 and a used Heathkit tube preamp and the heavens opened. Still Phono front end, Of course
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Lets not forget todays fuel efficient oils have to meet the mpgs that a PAO oil would give so It will be interesting if there is a mpg or any other difference . We are in the habit of comparing syn vs Conventional oils hyped by the 1970 style marketing comparisons.

Don't forget that PAO oils can use friction modifiers aswell, and then they come out on top again...

Good speakers.. Not phase coherent but minimum phase and very neutral and dynamic.

My issue I was trying to make my (varous) ADS sound good with a Yamaha A1 integrated. A lttle too tight with the current outlay.

Then I got a Holman APT 1 and a used Heathkit tube preamp and the heavens opened. Still Phono front end, Of course
smile.gif

I'm thinking I had an amp that was something close to it. Mine was an early 80s vintage Yamaha "Natural Sound" A-700. It had a TON of dynamic headroom. I had two compressor/expanders hooked up to it and it still wouldn't clip,no matter how loud I played it. CLEAN power!!

At the risk of derailing this thread

I owned an APT Holman pre for awhile. I really liked it, but I sold it an purchased an Audible Illusions Modulus L3. Great Pre that I still own but don't use. Currently I am using a Luxman 590AXII with Focal Electra 1038Be in my Den and a set of custom 300b mono's with Tannoy Kensington GR in my LR that I find just stellar.

Here is an early pic, before the 300b's were added
IMG_20150527_144657178.jpg

Where I worked they threw out a pair of western electric 300B amps that ran the PA in our auditorium ( I worked for Bell Labs and Western)! I was going to grab them during a rehab then they were in the dumpster!

Beer can _ I wasn't wild about the apt pre sound, Love the power amp though. I had a audible illusions modulus 2B (IIRC) Not wild about the tube complement (6dja) or power supply - unit had a grey cast over it - not liquid enough. Good imager though. Never had a chance to roll any killer vintage tubes.

I would love to try a low wattage triode high efficieny setup. Really too bad my upper octave hearuing is trashed. Stup Oldies Concert at foxborough in the late 80's. Some stupid walked by and cranked the PA from just right to 130dB ear bleed. Monkees and Gary Puckett and Paul Revere at 130dB is worse than waterboarding!

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Can't speak for the monkees live, but at least the recordings have world class musicians on them.

The Wrecking Crew.

Back to the Edge. Yes.
I could not wait to report (out of sheer boredom I suppose)
I'll have to double check, but with ~500miles on the clock and the MM reset, I'm showing exactly One (1) MPG better (on the DIC) with the fresh oil over the 6 month old 6K mile used Magnetec: A still pitiful 25.7 vs previous LTA of 24.7MPG. Ive never confirmed the DIC as I don't top off (afraid of flooding the vapour recovery canister/lines).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back