Michelin X Ice xi3 vs General Altimax Arctic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be surprised if Michelin introduces a X-Ice Xi4 this year. With better snow and slush performance than the Xi3.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I would not be surprised if Michelin introduces a X-Ice Xi4 this year. With better snow and slush performance than the Xi3.

I think it is bit soon, but it could fallow after Bridgestone WS80 and Continental WC SI.
But if they will change something I would say Latitude Xi 2 is really ready for a change.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: c502cid
I have dedicated studded winter tires and wheels on every vehicle I own. My ideas on tires are different then yours obviously, and I don't view yours as wrong. I dont care about playing ricky racer in the winter, I want the safest tires for my wifes car, my kids cars, and myself when it is snowing. Thats my performance criteria. And with studded snows, I have that plus some. No I cant go canyon carving, yes they are loud, and the performance of them in the dry is safe, is stable, and I sleep very well at night. Even with the sunny Colorado winters I still want them because when you see the racers being towed up from the ditch on the side of the road I know my wife will make it home on unplowed drifted up country roads.

I get it, but not sure that advantages of studded tires outweigh safety drawback of same tires in areas like CO with a lot of dry days.

Safety drawbacks? Seriously? Have you ever used a dedicated winter studded tire for transportation and not driven it like a dedicated performance tire? Two different uses and in my usage there are no safety drawbacks. Not one person in my household is trying to hit an apex in any season.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

I think it is bit soon, but it could fallow after Bridgestone WS80 and Continental WC SI.
But if they will change something I would say Latitude Xi 2 is really ready for a change.

I am sticking with my prediction.
wink.gif

The Xi2 was introduced in 2008.

The Xi3 was introduced in 2012.

The Xi4 will be available for purchase at the end of 2016.

But I could be wrong.
laugh.gif

I have dedicated studded winter tires and wheels on every vehicle I own. My ideas on tires are different then yours obviously, and I don't view yours as wrong. I dont care about playing ricky racer in the winter, I want the safest tires for my wifes car, my kids cars, and myself when it is snowing. Thats my performance criteria. And with studded snows, I have that plus some. No I cant go canyon carving, yes they are loud, and the performance of them in the dry is safe, is stable, and I sleep very well at night. Even with the sunny Colorado winters I still want them because when you see the racers being towed up from the ditch on the side of the road I know my wife will make it home on unplowed drifted up country roads.

I get it, but not sure that advantages of studded tires outweigh safety drawback of same tires in areas like CO with a lot of dry days.

Safety drawbacks? Seriously? Have you ever used a dedicated winter studded tire for transportation and not driven it like a dedicated performance tire? Two different uses and in my usage there are no safety drawbacks. Not one person in my household is trying to hit an apex in any season.

SO what is your average speed on studded tires on interstate? I think 50mph on studded tires and 50mph on regular winter tires is still 50mph.
However braking distance is not same.
I do not want to drive the way studded tires have to be driven. If I wanted to drive like that I would buy Toyota Camry, not BMW.
But then, if I needed studded tires to go to work, ski, I would just hang my DL.

Edyvw, thanks for this... I will keep the Continental Extreme Winter Contact in the running then, your post really helps me.

I was just so tempted with the Costco installation, and if there are any troubles with the tires, the confidence Costco gives makes (made) them a no-brainer.

Poop. Choosing Winter tires is hard.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Edyvw, thanks for this... I will keep the Continental Extreme Winter Contact in the running then, your post really helps me.

I was just so tempted with the Costco installation, and if there are any troubles with the tires, the confidence Costco gives makes (made) them a no-brainer.

Poop. Choosing Winter tires is hard.

New Continental WinterContact SI should be good. Looks like it has pretty decent separation between treads for good evacuation.

edyvw, checked out the Continental WinterContact SI, they may be my next tires.

Looked at the WS-80 traction pattern, and I think as others have mentioned, it might not be so good with slush either, they look like they would "skip" and float on slush.

The Contis look like they would evacuate slush much better, and the ice performance for Continental is probably very good.

Originally Posted By: Falken
edyvw, checked out the Continental WinterContact SI, they may be my next tires.

Looked at the WS-80 traction pattern, and I think as others have mentioned, it might not be so good with slush either, they look like they would "skip" and float on slush.

The Contis look like they would evacuate slush much better, and the ice performance for Continental is probably very good.

Well I do not have WS 80, but do have DM-V2 which is same generation Blizzak as WS-80 and you could say SUV version of WS-80.
I am totally disappointed in slush, hydroplaning and ice performance.
Luckily they have maybe this winter left with it, and then they are gone.
My wife's Tiguan is currently on WS-70 but probably I will go for her car either with Continental or Nokian. Xi3 just do not inspire any confidence in deeps snow, slush. They might be best choice on East coast, somewhere where there is a lot of ice, black ice etc, but here, nope.

We have the Xi3s on our Cruze and Generals on a Cobalt. I'm a fan of both. You can definitely tell that Generals are squirmy as it gets warmer, but they perform in the snow. No complaints about the Xi3s in snow versus ice, we've made a couple of trips in heavy accumulation and they seem to perform well. They handle much more like an all season in dry weather then the Generals.

SO what is your average speed on studded tires on interstate? I think 50mph on studded tires and 50mph on regular winter tires is still 50mph.
However braking distance is not same.
I do not want to drive the way studded tires have to be driven. If I wanted to drive like that I would buy Toyota Camry, not BMW.
But then, if I needed studded tires to go to work, ski, I would just hang my DL.

Ahhh, my reference to ricky racer in the ditch......

Quote:
Ahhh, my reference to ricky racer in the ditch......

Usually coming from people driving 20mph below speed limit in left lane thinking they are keeping everyone safe.
When I hear studded tires behind me, I always step on the pedal.
Compromising all aspects of safety for gain in very narrow weather band.
Yeah, it has to do a lot with DL.

I haven't use the Xi3 but I have had the Altimax Arctic twice now and so have my folks. We love them and will continue to buy them as long as they are available. My favorite overall snow tire to date. The only other set I had that I liked if not more was a Nokian Hakka Q. That was years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back