Oil Filter Q? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 F150, Lariat, 5.4 3-Valve, 44K Miles

I had started a thread about this somewhere else.
Anyway, while going through some old boxes in my little apt. shed I came across an AC DELCO PF1250 oil filter. According to the Ford specs it fits my sons truck engine.
So, now it's up to which of the 2 to use for the final internal engine cleaning on his F150 Lariat;
1) NAPA ProSlect 21372
or
2) AC DELCO PF1250
Which of the 2 would you use on an 3K mile OCI with M1 0W40 oil? Afterwards, he might use the losing filter along with MC 5W20 oil for a 5K OCI.

Oh man. So sorry you got suckered into an internal cleansing of an engine. Fingers crossed the engine doesn't seize. I've seen it happen many times. All it takes is a little bit of carbon or gunk now broken free to clog an oil port and its rebuild time. Please please please don't try to clean an engine internally. The only safe and proper way to clean an engine internally is to fully disassemble and clean during an full overhaul or rebuild. It's kinda my soapbox on here but it is So detrimental to do to an engine. There isn't any manufacturer that approves of internal flushings and no data to support doing it. It's not useful and truly runs the risk of causing an engine failure. The road to h*ll....or in this case an engine rebuild / swap is paved with good intentions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ToadU
There isn't any manufacturer that approves of internal flushings

servicetoyotaengineoilsystemcleaner.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

view_pictures_resize.php

If you want to clean it up non-aggressively, just run a good full synthetic oil and do normal oil changes.

BOF - Either one will work fine for short OCI / FCI cleanups.

This PF1250 went 5000 miles after a cleanup:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...d_o#Post4076564

This TF4651 went 3000 miles during the cleanup:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Dat#Post3994624

Sorry, I do not have a cut of the ProSelect. Those Walmart supertechs would be good for this too.

During the cleanup, I was cutting the filters so I knew they were not being overloaded. I went something like 3K on the first couple filters and then lengthened the interval as I could see the oil coming clean.

If your son can clean the top side mechanically and then clean the pan mechanically, this would speed up the process tremendously. He can also clear the screen quickly.

If you want them, I have some Champ PH820 filters to donate to the cause. PM me if you want them. These have the old cage and about a 90% efficiency @ 20 microns.

Last edited:
Why clean? I don't understand. Educate me.

Copy and paste.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4090908/FINALLY!_MC_FL-820S_C&#Post4090908

I don't care Toyota or Subadru or AC/ Delco make a product for it. That's business and making money. I just wasted sometime and picked (3) cars...2005 Toyota Camry / 2005 Chevrolet Impala and a 2005 Subaru Outback. I looked up the owners manuals online. Not one of the owners manuals suggest an engine flush. Nowhere in them I could find that listed in preventative maintenance even for severe duty. I stand by my statement it's not recommended in any owners manual I am aware of. I can tell you confidently there isn't a taxi, police car, UPS or any other major fleet that does engine flushes. Fleets get basics maintence and in the best case scenario the bare minimum as spec'd and the cheapest fluids meeting minimum spec. That's a fact. Try google....a quick search brought up articles from Popular Mechanics, Click and Clack, NBC News and many other sources describing engine flushes as a scam, not recommended by owners manuals and many articles stating exactly what I said. The only "pro" articles were from the manufacturers of the products (money money money) or from Jiffy Lube Ect. Not one respectable independent source...I scanned quickly I admit...but I truly didn't see any pro engine flush from what I could consider reputable sources. A couple appeared reputable at first but upon closer inspection were paid adverts or tied directly back to a commercial entity profiting from a flush product. Now, if a high milage car has a problem of a sludged engine creating a runability problem that would require a tear down or rebuild then trying a flush as a last resort before a tear down makes sense. What have you got to loose? If you looking at spending big bucks on a tear down / rebuild and some says to pee in thr crankcase if it doesn't work you have nothing to loose. As a preventative measure, trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist you certainly have a whole lot to loose. I have seen in my shop cars where a flush was attempted that resulted in a complete engine failure. The most recent was my mother-in-laws Jeep Liberty. Her other son-in-law a hot shot tech at Mercedes with less than 2 years under his belt compared to my 22 years argue with me and convinced her the engine which ran fine had to be degunked and cleaned internally. It just had to be done or the world would crash down. Jeep ran great, needed plugs which is good and smart orientation maintence but has been maintained by my shop since new using the recommended intervals as spec in the owners manual. Well Mercedes son-in-law convinced her otherwise and was especially mad I had been running Fram Orange cans.....I like Fram.....and Mag1 oil which I buy in bulk for my fleet in the Jeep. He loves his boutique Liquid Moly Oil and his $50.00 a container Mercedes power steering fluid. Well he does a flush with all kinds of [censored] and drive X number of miles and drain and fill and fancy filters and when is done puts his Liquid Molly oil with some fancy filter on it and she hits the road for my house for a visit.....a 6 HR drive. 2/3 of the way here on the Turnpike and one of my wreckers has to go and get her because the Jeep started running poorly and shaking and quickly seized. We end up having to tear the engine down in my lowly shop wth a dirt parking lot (independent mechanic scum not Mercedes with the shiney floors, an air conditioned shop and 2 year experienced techs.....but hey whatever. We are ASE certified). So the tear down is coming along and what do we find. An oil port clogged causing oil starvation and engine seized. We rebuilt the engine with a complete kit and reman heads Ect and the jeep as back on the road. The jeep has no problems until he went mucking around tutting [censored] additives into the oil. This isn't the first time in 20 plus years I've seen this either. I've had 2 cars fresh from a Jiffy Lube after a flush same issue and about 2 years ago had a really low mileage VW that the owner had a $700 flush done at the dealership and ended up having a seized engine. Not one of thr owners manual ps recommended a flush....ever. Never ever at any mileage. Could these failures have occurred coincidently? Maybe. Not likely. Rarely do oil ports clog causing oil starvation. oil is like blood and an engine like thr human body. Ever hear of blood clots? What if you could break up thr cholesterol in your arteries and flush it around? Stroke city. Heart attack city. Don't try to solve problems that doesn't exist. If you have a real issue an it's a last ditch effort you have nothing to loose. It's kinda like a blown head gasket in a very high mileage car. If it's blown and thr car isn't worth much try a head gasket repair in a bottle. What's the worst that can happen? You junk the car or tear down the heads and repair properly. Plenty of companies make head gasket repair mechanic in a bottle products....I think AC Delco makes one too......but I can promise there isn't one engine manufacturer that lists in a shop manual that liquid head gasket repair is an acceptable procedure. Anyway. My thoughts.

Last edited:
I especially cringed when I read the OP state the F150 only has 44k miles. Even if the previous owner never ever changed the oil once since new it's doubtful the engine has any runability issues from sludge. Seriously don't over-think and try to solve problems that don't exist. I'd really like to hear from the OP his thinking why he needed a flush and what problem he was trying to solve. What specific drivability problem would a truck with only 44k miles have a flush would help? Just asking for trouble IMHO and I backed that up with 22 years experience as a shop owner and wrecker company owner. Also, I back it up again no owners manual says to do it as part of regular maintenance and even IF someone found an owner's manual that suggested it -- it certainly wouldn't be at 44k miles. The engine is still a baby at 44k.

Last edited:
I especially cringed when I read the OP state the F150 only has 44k miles. Even if the previous owner never ever changed the oil once since new it's doubtful the engine has any runability issues from sludge. Seriously don't over-think and try to solve problems that don't exist. I'd really like to hear from the OP his thinking why he needed a flush and what problem he was trying to solve. What specific drivability problem would a truck with only 44k miles have a flush would help? Just asking for trouble IMHO and I backed that up with 22 years experience as a shop owner and wrecker company owner. Also, I back it up again no owners manual says to do it as part of regular maintenance and even IF someone found an owner's manual that suggested it -- it certainly wouldn't be at 44k miles. The engine is still a baby at 44k.

Look at the oil filter pics. The oil filter was dated August 2010. That oil and filter had been in/on that engine since 2010.

I read most of your first thread and saw the oil filter pictures. I don't see what the problem is? Ok there is dirt in the oil filter when you cut it open. Where do you think dirt should be....ummmmm......in the filter. That's kinda the whole purpose of the filter. Actually it's the main purpose of the filter and in many engines the ONLY purpose of thr filter. (Yes some have anti drain back valves in them) but oil filters are supposed to filter. I didn't read every post in the previous thread but you didn't describe an actual problem. Just a dirty filter. If you cut open an oil filter and there is no dirt and said filter has been on engine for a long time then you have a problem. You talked about replacing parts you don't even know are bad. Thats just a tremendously poor practice to throw parts at a problem but even worse to throw parts at a NON problem. I honestly can't see any reason for any of your actions. In my opinion you have potentially created s problem where NONE existed and literally peed away good money for snake oil. Just change the oil ONCE and drive the truck the spec'd OCI and change again. Good grief. Stop over thinking. Deal only with realy problems. I'll say it again, even if thst was the original filter and factory fill (and it isn't per the code in the filter) even it if were the engine is probably fine in all reality. Cutting open a filter might be fun and apparently s hobby but is worthless. The only way you can make a scientific determination is with oil analysis testing. Anything else is just a guess. I also suspect a lot of folks here contaminate the filters when cutting it open. It's really a waste of time.

Last edited:
It doesn't mean the filter has been on their since 2010. The date code is when the filter was made. Not installed. It could have sat on a shelf for an extended period of time. Even if it was on there from 2010 so what? The truck had only 41k miles on it. It wasn't the original filter and factory fill. Even the longest spe'd OCI is extremely conservative. Extremely. Oil analysis shows us that time and time again. Even conventional oil is good for many many more miles than even the least conservative OCI as spec'd by a manufacturer.

Again what engine runability problem are or were you trying to solve??

Last edited:
Please don't be offended by my posts. You did put this out on a public forum asking for comments so I gave you mine. Most people here appear to be smarter than the engineers and manufacturers and me as well. They probably also go and get colonics too to flush out their colons even though every legitimate doctor, the AMA and every legit study says colonics are worthless at best and dangerous at worse.

I have no ill will and nothing peronal. It's your truck, you own it so do whatever you want. I do wish you the best with your truck.

Last edited:
Please don't be offended by my posts. You did put this out on a public forum asking for comments so I gave you mine. Most people here appear to be smarter than the engineers and manufacturers and me as well. They probably also go and get colonics too to flush out their colons even though every legitimate doctor, the AMA and every legit study says colonics are worthless at best and dangerous at worse.

I have no ill will and nothing peronal. It's your truck, you own it so do whatever you want. I do wish you the best with your truck.

Obviously you don't pay attention as well as you like to reply. It's not my truck. It's my sons truck.
And, your advice will be taken with a grain of salt.

Really. That's all you can come up with that I said your truck and its your son's? Ya I read that it was your sons. It's your truck for the purpose of this discussion and you took the lead in the experimental engineering of internal engine cleaning. Take it with a grain of salt. The filter will get the grain out. I still can't get an answer WHY. What problem was there to solve? If I did this in my shop I'd be guilty of malpractice as a professional. Most of the other comments in your previous thread agreed with me btw. Most of the advice was be "extremely careful" and just do a regular oil change with a good Syn Ect.. I can't fathom put MMO in an engine with zero runability problems and the majority of other posters apparently couldn't either. MMO is truly snake oil and meets no specs whatsoever for use in an engine. I hear people all of the time suggesting mixing ATF in the oil, diesel fuel ect. I've never read any ATF bottle that says hey dump some undetermined amount of this in your oil. I just don't get it. Seems strange to try and solve a non existent problem. Again if you have an engine wth a major problem and nothing to loose then it doesn't matter what you do....literally run pee in the crankcase at that point on the off chance it works. 41k miles just makes me cringe putting MMO and gosh knows what else in a modern engine. We know that's not the factory filter and fill. We don't know when the filter was installed. It could have been old stock. You can't tell anything about an oil by color. The only real way to know anything would have been to send a sample do analysis and even the results of thst would be somewhat useless in that oil analysis is best when used consistently and not just a one off. Dirt in the filter. Umm. Ya. Filters catch dirt. I would be worried if I cut open a filter and there was no dirt. Anyways. Have a good night and good luck with solving a non existent problem. Now if the engine does seize it will probably validate your cleaning and "gosh darn if only I had cleaned it better". Lol

Last edited:
Really. That's all you can come up with that I said your truck and its your son's? Ya I read that it was your sons. It's your truck for the purpose of this discussion and you took the lead in the experimental engineering of internal engine cleaning. Take it with a grain of salt. The filter will get the grain out. I still can't get an answer WHY. What problem was there to solve? If I did this in my shop I'd be guilty of malpractice as a professional. Most of the other comments in your previous thread agreed with me btw. Most of the advice was be "extremely careful" and just do a regular oil change with a good Syn Ect.. I can't fathom put MMO in an engine with zero runability problems and the majority of other posters apparently couldn't either. MMO is truly snake oil and meets no specs whatsoever for use in an engine. I hear people all of the time suggesting mixing ATF in the oil, diesel fuel ect. I've never read any ATF bottle that says hey dump some undetermined amount of this in your oil. I just don't get it. Seems strange to try and solve a non existent problem. Again if you have an engine wth a major problem and nothing to loose then it doesn't matter what you do....literally run pee in the crankcase at that point on the off chance it works. 41k miles just makes me cringe putting MMO and gosh knows what else in a modern engine. We know that's not the factory filter and fill. We don't know when the filter was installed. It could have been old stock. You can't tell anything about an oil by color. The only real way to know anything would have been to send a sample do analysis and even the results of thst would be somewhat useless in that oil analysis is best when used consistently and not just a one off. Dirt in the filter. Umm. Ya. Filters catch dirt. I would be worried if I cut open a filter and there was no dirt. Anyways. Have a good night and good luck with solving a non existent problem. Now if the engine does seize it will probably validate your cleaning and "gosh darn if only I had cleaned it better". Lol

If you would not type so many words I might read your replies. So far, I have no idea what you have typed. Less words will get my attention.

Mr. 4,264 posts I rarely post but when I do I back up my opinions with facts. Less posts and more substance gets my attention and naked girls.

Mr. 4,264 posts I rarely post but when I do I back up my opinions with facts. Less posts and more substance gets my attention and naked girls.

I have only been here since Feb. 2003. 75% of my posting has occurred since I became disabled in 2011.

ToadU are really very experienced and very smart no doubt. I agree with a number of your posts in this topic here. Just stay cool, state what you believe, and be good to others. People like you REALLY add a lot this community. I appreciate your experience, insights and knowledge. Again, be good with others too. I don't doubt for an instant you are a good guy. It's just hard I think to write or type stuff out for it to come out or across in the right way. I have run into that myself here too. So, I am not preaching to ya. My glass house is here as well.

I'd bet $100 if this was a live in person conversation it would be much better and easier for all involved. You both are good guys. And I appreciate both of you being on here.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
ToadU are really very experienced and very smart no doubt. I agree with a number of your posts in this topic here. Just stay cool, state what you believe, and be good to others. People like you REALLY add a lot this community. I appreciate your experience, insights and knowledge. Again, be good with others too. I don't doubt for an instant you are a good guy. It's just hard I think to write or type stuff out for it to come out or across in the right way. I have run into that myself here too. So, I am not preaching to ya. My glass house is here as well.

I'd bet $100 if this was a live in person conversation it would be much better and easier for all involved. You both are good guys. And I appreciate both of you being on here.

bbhero, those are words of wisdom! I mean no offense to ToadU. But, I made my post on what I thought was in the best interest of what we were doing to my sons truck. Yes, I asked for opinions, but, I never thought I would be reading a novel. And ToadU, that was a good jab at you. You seem to know what you're after and talking about. I was just looking for simple replies. I'm sorry if I offended you, sir.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back