Friend only wants to do what he wants?

I have this buddy who quit hanging out with me for a year or two and I decided to text him one day and we started hanging out again, but I've noticed the last few months the only thing he wants to do is what he wants to do. He pretty much changed a lot in the two years we didn't talk, and he suddenly became interested in girls, but the problem is that's all he wants to do is go to the bar and drink and maybe a couple other things. That's part of the problem is I go to the bar and he sits there, doesn't even hit on girls. He also keeps wanting me to go to Twin Peaks with him so he can talk to this waitress, but we've been back like 4 times and she's never there. He doesn't understand that girls working there get hit on everyday by super hot rich guys, so his chances aren't very good. Plus the girls probably remember him by now because he always asks if that certain girl is working. lol I try to get him to do things that we both want to do, but I just can't get him to do those things anymore.

At first he was cool and we did a variety of things, but lately he's become super cheap and if it cost too much money he won't do it. He's basically using me it seems. Like last time we agreed to go play at Top Golf, then he cancelled when I asked him if we were still going. Not sure when he was planning on telling me.... I just don't understand. I don't really have many friends, so I get kind of lonely and i'll hang out with him now only to get some social interaction basically. People always cancel on me when I try and schedule times to hang out, so it's not like I don't try. Why is he like this? He didn't used to be like this. He's gone through phases of being super cheap, but never selfish. Then he has the nerve to call me boring when I come up with all these things we can do, but he shoots down my ideas, but can't come up with any of his own.

I would stop hanging out with him altogether, but I have to have some social interaction. My other friend I have works constantly and has a wife and 4 kids, so he doesn't have much time to hang out. Then I very rarely get any bro time with him because he brings he wife and kids along wherever we go. Then if we do hang out together without them, she'll text him constantly.

I'm just kind of baffled that he's acting the way he's been acting. I kind of think he's becoming an alcoholic too. He's got a good sized beer belly on him now and he used to be skinny. Imo friends should be able to find something that both parties like to do. Now of course, you're going to still have to do things you don't want to do with them, but they have to return the favor.

Anyone have this kind of problem? My buddy with four kids doesn't bother me as much because I know he tries his best.

lovingly...This has nothing to do with him, everything to do with you.

Why do you hang with this person and try/want to make it work...why?

If you wanna go down the rabbit hole...the other big question is (and the seeing of this, for me, changed my life) : what do you want from him? most folks like to insist that the answer is "nothing"....rarely is it the case. If you look, if you care to look, at yourself with honesty, you'll see that you want things from him......down the road, you dont get them...you get confused, maybe upset, maybe angry and look to him as the source of the problem. Now i ask you, is he the problem 'cause he didnt/doesnt give what you unseeingly want, or, are YOU the problem with all of your wanting??....it begs the question to all of us, me included...why cant I just BE with this person without the wanting.

As for being lonely and loneliness...ive been there, loneliness is something that you have to want to understand so that it ends.

It happens I guess. Had a old friend from back in high school pretty much considered him family. We always hung out for a solid 10 years or so but he started drinking more and more and after more then a few of his drunk problems in public I ended up distancing myself from him. I still consider him a friend but I know a lot of people here and back when i use to work off of reputation I never liked the idea of people thinking of me as a drunk because I was always hanging out with one.

My guess is he doesn't have much friends and figures the company is better then non.

Friends come and go. I lost several friends when I moved down south. Gained a few more.

Keep chugging along. When I first moved down here I joined a meetup group and met a few cool people. There are tons of meetup groups for Hiking, Travel, whatever you like, and I haven't seen any real weirdos.

Also I work for local government, so I work with about 400 people face to face, so I hang out with some people from work.

The bar flies from back home are not your friends. Sure I go out drinking once in a while, but that is not my focus in life at all. Most times I hang out with my friends we don't even drink.

Nobody needs cheap, selfish and uninteresting friends. Tell him that and walk away. Give him the old Bob Dylan line, "I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes. You'd know what a drag it is to see you."

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Get a dog.

Yes, and learn how to make home made dog food.
smile.gif

Time to move on.

Find some hobbies that are not "loner" ones. You know, ones where you interact with others, at least on some level. Bowling, sports of most kinds, church, ham radio, something where people are. Heck, I understand that there are groups of people who get together to talk about model railroads.

You might try out a few hobbies and move on with due time, but the more people you are around, the better the chances of finding new friends. But in the end, people tend to come in and out of our lives.

As hard as this seems OP, you have to move on. I'm noticing a pattern of being alone between this thread and the other regarding that female with a boyfriend.

I have been in a similar situation actually (not the female thing tho). I'm not close to anyone in my family (they aren't close with each other actually), and since moving to the west coast have really missed the close friends I had back on the prairies. Since leaving they've all gotten married and had at least one kid, so their priorities have changed. I on the other hand am not married and have no kids nor do I wish to be. I miss them dearly but I know that moving back to that city is not the answer as we aren't the people we once were.

I've tried countless times to meet up with other people and make friends. Tried doing Urban rec sports, european auto clubs, "meetup" groups that focused on everything from clubbing, happy hour, yoga, etc. nothing seemed to click. I've since started focusing on improving myself by going back to school. I have several hours per week that I could allocate to something that will improve my income, get me out of the apartment, and possibly make some friends/acquaintances along the way. This way I'm avoiding using alcohol/food as the focal point to meeting new people.

If you don't want to go to school, maybe consider taking a cooking class for fun. Chics love a guy who's trying to improve himself. You might make some friends, find your soulmate or discover a talent you never had before...the possibilities are endless.

After a while of trying different approaches to your situation, you'll notice that nothing/nobody can really fix your problem. The answer your looking for is within you, and has been all along.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
As for being lonely and loneliness...ive been there, loneliness is something that you have to want to understand so that it ends.
Very good life advice ^^^

So So true.....get married have 3 or 4 kids....then you'll long for the lonely quiet days....when the money in your pocket was yours...
13.gif

Originally Posted By: c502cid
You leave out the most important info for any of us to answer..... what is his favorite oil?
+1 this would be needed for a proper reply.

Ive watched a number of people in the past devolve into drugs and alcoholism. You cant help or change them unless they want to. If you try to help prepare for a big job with a probable heartbreaking ending.

Quite a few good answers to you moving on. Take some classes where there will be people the kind you would like to meet and have at it. Improving yourself is never a bad idea and others will notice and want to hang with winners.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Get a dog.

Yes, and learn how to make home made dog food.
smile.gif

Ha ha ha ha....well, it works for me!

I used to go to a certain bar and grille when i knew a waitress I was very attracted to worked. I even got her number and took her out once.

The woman behind that sexy outfit and I, had nothing in common but a sexual attraction.

I no longer allow myself to think women who work for tips are interested in me.

Your beer bellied friend is seriously delusional if he thinks any hottie waitress in a skin and wings joint is in any way attracted to him. Best thing you can do to help him, is make him realize this.

Amazing how a smile from an attractive woman scrambles male brains.
When that smile is basically saying, 'I want a big tip' but the male believes this woman wants him, well this is damagingly delusional.

Maybe go traipsing through some local churches and see if anyone catches your eye. Volunteer at the Salvation Army, hospitals, Habitat for Humanity, soup kitchens to meet some other quality people to socialize with.

Originally Posted By: Al
Too much drama here

I prefer it over discussing ZDDP or SOPUS or other oil minutia.

I'm very lucky to have a trophy wife that loves me very much as much as I love her. Wish everyone could be as happy.

Back