Shell Rotella T6 in a Altima 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some Shell Rotella T6 5W40 would it be safe to put it in my qr25de 2.5 nissan altima motor. Prob beating a dead horse just want to make sure!

Thanks Graham

safe is a good word to describe it. im a big fan of using the manufacturers spec weight unless a drastic condition changed my mind. like 0w30 in my nissan if I never plugged it in. But it will get 5w30 until I sell it or till it dies. run it in your kia! What spec oil does your kia need?

Isn't this oil heavy for your engine? Might lose a little mpg and hp.

I wouldn't make a habit out of it, but one OCI won't hurt anything. The high zinc and phosphorus in diesel engine oils will ruin your catalytic converter in the long run if you were to keep running it.

I agree with it losing HP and gas mileage. In the winter a 5w would be fine down to -30°C or -22°F. It's tested for those low temps. Being it's a 40 operating viscosity API SN levels of phosphorus and zinc limits are definitely higher. So it could pose a problem to a catalytic converter especially if it burns oil. But running it for it for one oil change interval run it would be fine.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I wouldn't make a habit out of it, but one OCI won't hurt anything. The high zinc and phosphorus in diesel engine oils will ruin your catalytic converter in the long run if you were to keep running it.

Please tell me how long it will take to ruin my cat? I've been using 10/40, 15/40 and 5/40 for 7 years in my '06 S2000 and it still SMOG's great, even at 130k miles. If your car doesn't leak oil past the rings or valve guides any oil you use won't hurt your cat. Now if it sucks one qt. every 1000 miles then you can shorten the life of the cat.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back