Interior protectant recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Nothing - interior plastics do not need to be dressed or protected. The UV inhibitor in the panels is already sufficient for UV protection purposes.

I think over time or if leaving the car outside in summer sun all the time you need to replenish. This may help prevent fading or cracking.

The sun will degrade all materials used in a car or truck over time, there is no questioning this. Protectents like Vinylex and 303 will help slow this process and help protect vehicle interiors.
I'd also be [censored] if I paid for a full interior detail and they didn't apply anything to the interior surfaces or leather! Isn't that part of "detailing"?

Not at all. If interior protectants are needed, then new vehicles would come with a layer of goop applied to the interior surfaces - but they do not. If I paid for a proper interior detail, I would expect the interior to be cleaned and return to a factory-level state - and dressing would not be part of that picture.

Sorry man but old cars from the 1980's back did not come from the factory with "protectants" applied either but you see tons of cracked dashes, door panels and seats etc. I have seen cars as late as 5 years with cracked and degraded interior plastic parts. A proper detailing or keeping a vehicle preserved for as long as possible absolutely needs protectant applied to the interior just as much as the exterior.

I have a 78 elcamino with a cracked dash, it sucks but I live with it, my mom has a 02 toyota that I have detailed since new, the area around the airbag is totally cracked, this car was protected from the get go. A garage and avoiding sun are the only thing that is going to protect your cars interior. Good luck with these so called protectants.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
I have a 78 elcamino with a cracked dash, it sucks but I live with it, my mom has a 02 toyota that I have detailed since new, the area around the airbag is totally cracked, this car was protected from the get go. A garage and avoiding sun are the only thing that is going to protect your cars interior. Good luck with these so called protectants.

What did you use on the 02 Toyota? I has an 02 Chevy Impala that cracked all of the foam around the steering wheel that wasn't leather in the first year of its life. It was replaced under warranty. I sold the car shortly after because it was having several other issues....it was junk.
The cracking may be from sub-par materials and not the protectant. I have some vehicles that sit outside year round in Colorado and are not cracking anywhere(10 years). I mostly use Vinylex.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Nothing - interior plastics do not need to be dressed or protected. The UV inhibitor in the panels is already sufficient for UV protection purposes.

I think over time or if leaving the car outside in summer sun all the time you need to replenish. This may help prevent fading or cracking.

The sun will degrade all materials used in a car or truck over time, there is no questioning this. Protectents like Vinylex and 303 will help slow this process and help protect vehicle interiors.
I'd also be [censored] if I paid for a full interior detail and they didn't apply anything to the interior surfaces or leather! Isn't that part of "detailing"?

Not at all. If interior protectants are needed, then new vehicles would come with a layer of goop applied to the interior surfaces - but they do not. If I paid for a proper interior detail, I would expect the interior to be cleaned and return to a factory-level state - and dressing would not be part of that picture.

Another thought on that logic would be waxing a vehicles paint. They don't come from the factory waxed so by your logic no wax is ever needed because that is how it came from the factory. Some owners manuals even say clear coat paint needs no waxing. In the real world you want to make a bet on that? No way Jose! Paint needs wax/sealent and interior surfaces need protectants if you want to extend their life and condition. You really should be apply a quality protectant to your customers who are paying for a full interior detail. I'd be [censored] if that detail was not done. Unless rarely requested, every single customer I have had expected this to be done.

I agree Chris B..

And instead of worrying if 303 is better than Armor All, just wipe down the dash after applying the protectant. A water damped microfiber should be nice to remove the excess just like with waxing paint we do. Then it is protected and looks good, and then it should last and not crack nor produce a glare.

Just dont go applying it directly as it would be a disaster trying to clean the inside of the windshield of it.

I just use interior quick detailing spray monthly.

I don't like the smell of Meguiar's

currently using the Einzett (1Z) stuff.

you know I never used it, disappeared in garage, but I bought PB Blaster, WD40, Armor all, Sea Foam, etc. in gallon sizes at AAP based on 40% off $100 which made the price very nice. Don't know if that deal still works. Don't know how Armor all gloss works in big spray loads. just a thought!

bmwjohn,

There is the authentic formula of Armor All for sale in half gallons. I picked one up and it is super viscous. I think that means it is meant to be diluted (say 50:50) with water. I think armor all gets a bad name from folks who use it straight and dont realize it should be diluted (even though they make no mention of it on the label) or it needs a final wipe with a water-dampened towel to make it look nice.

bmwjohn,

There is the authentic formula of Armor All for sale in half gallons. I picked one up and it is super viscous. I think that means it is meant to be diluted (say 50:50) with water. I think armor all gets a bad name from folks who use it straight and dont realize it should be diluted (even though they make no mention of it on the label) or it needs a final wipe with a water-dampened towel to make it look nice.

Didn't Armor All actually change the formula awhile back to what they called a "no run" formula or something like that? When they first changed it they stated that on the label,that it's now thick and won't run.

Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl and Rubber Protectant, Multicolor

and Meguiars leather clean and protector

is all I ever use, I try many other product include Aoerospace 303 ( spelling ), its doesnt give me that black clean look i am looking for.

Einszett Cockpit Premium for dash pieces.
Nextzett Gummy Pflege for rubber trim.
Leather Master Soft Cleaner to clean leather.
Leather Master Protection Cream to use as conditioner and protection.

I really like 303 as it provides a nice sheen and is very slick, making cleaning/dusting easy.

For a matte look, I use Meguiar's D156 QW. Puts a high shine on paint, but has virtually no gloss on plastics. Not as slick as 303, but might be more durable.

I believe that. The Dash on my 01 Nissan is in great shape even though I did nothing except clean it over the years. My daughter's ex husband bought a 2001 aewoo and the dash turned to cardboard. Guess which vehicle had the UV protectorante? 303 may be un-necessary in many cases.

I'm on my last bottle of 303 (think its 32oz), just opened it yesterday.
Been pretty happy with it, but want to try Surf City Dash Away when I'm almost out.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
I still use STP Son of a gun. You don't see it much anymore.

It's still sold at most of the auto parts stores around here, its just not a big selling item.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
I still use STP Son of a gun. You don't see it much anymore.

I found 1 bottle in my garage few months ago. I don't remember when and where I bought it.

Another vote for Dash Away. It works on upholstery too. I got engine grime on the seat of my car and it took it right off without leaving a trace. Smells pleasant too. 303 smells like urine to me.

Meg's Ultimate Protectant is good too, but it does leave a sheen. Not necessarily glossy, but you can tell protectant was used.

A good windshield cover and UV blocking tint will go a long ways in keeping the plastics in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back