Titan single cab

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will appeal to the "never an American vehicle!" die-hards that for some reason haven't latched onto Toyota. Other than that, it'll be even harder for it to find a market than it has been for the Tundra. When pretty much nobody offers a *bad* product in the full-size truck market, two of the domestics also offer a light-duty turbo-diesel, and all the domestics offer 3/4 and 1-tons and chassis-cabs so that fleets can have a common support system across all weight classes, its going to be a nearly impossible market to penetrate.

It does not seem that they are serious about a fleet offering, so now i am second guessing my second guessed doubts. The chassis is hypothetically sufficient for service/utility beds. Perhaps it is just another missed opportunity.

What's the deal with a giant v8 as the only gassser option? Bad move.

It's doomed to fail unless they put in a fuel efficient V6 or small diesel. Today's V6's are more powerful and efficient than the V8's from 10-15 years ago, and let's face it, most pickup buyers don't need a V8.

Look at how well the Ford Eco's, Ram Ecodiesels and V6 GM trucks are selling.

On the other hand, a lot of pickup buyers are nuts and think they 'need' a giant truck with insane towing capacities, when the most they ever do is move a sofa or tow a jet-ski lol.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang

It's doomed to fail unless they put in a fuel efficient V6 or small diesel. Today's V6's are more powerful and efficient than the V8's from 10-15 years ago, and let's face it, most pickup buyers don't need a V8.

On the other hand, a lot of pickup buyers are nuts and think they 'need' a giant truck with insane towing capacities, when the most they ever do is move a sofa or tow a jet-ski lol.

Maybe the strategy is to only sell the most profitable trucks? The $22k base 2wd F150 doesn't make Ford much compared to the $40k version. I think is the fat profit margin on the upscale trucks is what's appealing to Nissan, and 100,000 trucks times $10k profit is still a billion dollars.

Almost looks odd to see, a RCLB these days. Aesthetically, it seems like too much bed in front of the rear wheels, and the roof has a pretty severe rake towards the hood. But it's a working truck, so who would care?

I have a tough time believing this will go far. But who knows?

I think that's one of the things that hurt the Titan last generation. I've seen Tundras working along with the big three, but never saw a Titan on a job site.

Originally Posted By: supton
Almost looks odd to see, a RCLB these days. Aesthetically, it seems like too much bed in front of the rear wheels, and the roof has a pretty severe rake towards the hood. But it's a working truck, so who would care?

Actually I'd say they got that right, whereas putting the rear wheels so far forward in the bed was a huge mistake Toyota made with the first Tundra. When the wheels are forward in the bed and you load it up and there is potential for too much weight transfer off the front wheels, whereas with this layout a fair proportion of the weight will stay on the front wheels. Even if you bias your load all the way to the tailgate, it would be hard to un-balance this truck compared to one of those early Tundras.

Oh, I totally get the practicality of move the wheels back, it just looks odd in a sea of 6' and less beds.

WOW, they have exceeded my expectations !!!! Didn't think they could make it any uglier... they proved me wrong.

I like an 8' box on a truck, but I agree the look doesn't sit well on the Titan. Not that it matters ... I strike off the least reliable make and model from my list, so Nissan doesn't stand a chance with me.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang

They will have the 5.6 V8, the 5.0 Cummins turbo diesel and a V6 model of this truck. I don't think the truck looks terrible myself. I've seen a few with a lift kit and I thought they looked pretty nice.

"Regular cab Titans come with an eight-foot bed, two trim lines, and a choice of engines — a 5.6-liter gasoline V8 or the 5.0-liter Cummins turbo diesel V8. A V6 will follow at a later date. Gas models get a seven-speed automatic transmission, while diesel versions receive a six-speed unit. The wheelbase is about a foot shorter than Crew Cab versions."

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
It does not seem that they are serious about a fleet offering, so now i am second guessing my second guessed doubts. The chassis is hypothetically sufficient for service/utility beds. Perhaps it is just another missed opportunity.

The NV vans are gaining popularity in fleet use. They hope to "pull through" some missed opportunities in the pickup fleet market.

The 1st gen Titan had a great engine/trans combo from day one. Very long lived components. The new Gas engine trans combo in the Titan has been used in the Infiniti Qx56 now called the QX80 since 2011. It has also proven to be reliable. The Cummins is the one that will have to be watched.

I like it a lot, though I'm sure I won't see many, and I won't be contributing to its sales.

The Titan has kind of always been at the back of the pack, but isn't a bad truck. I think Nissan quality is better than it was 5-15 years ago. My cousin had an '06 Titan that was a full blown work truck and it did pretty well for the 150K or so he had it. Fit/finish/material quality wasn't great, but I loved the way it drove and the engine/trans combo was great.

Single cab long bed trucks
37.gif
ugly

But they work for those who need them as a work truck and not a mall queen so I understand it.

I think some RCLB trucks look nice, particularly older ones, but this truck does have a bit of an awkward '97 F-150 RCLB profile to it. A lot of newer truck bodies are designed to be an extended cab or crew cab first, and the regular cab is a later afterthought that ends up looking a bit off. You can get away with that if its a good truck though.

I think the Ram is the best looking current regular cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back