Thickening PS fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I replaced the steering shafts, I really noticed how much slack is in the box. Where in order to adjest direction you have to move the wheel a few degrees to engage it the other direction. A dead spot in the middle.
Knowing that this is a high mileage system that had original fluid when I bought it with 157k I wanted to toy with thickening the ATF.
Right now Ive been using Schaffers #204SAT Transmission fluid and a few days ago I bought some #9001 5W50 racing oil to change the fluid in a lawn tractor transmission. I had most of a quart left over. I thought I might suck some out of the res and throw in a few ounces of the 5W50.
I used widman's calculators and came up with I would need to replace 20% of the system capacity, which was 5 ounces, to get about 9cst.
Initial results are good. It did tighten up the steering, and it seems to have stopped that groaning/whining that Ford pumps are known for when you are steering under high load. It still makes that supercharger whine just running down the road, but not the super loud 'Im a Ford and Im turning right now' noise.

CHF-11S, look no further. I haven't had any pump noise since I started using it in the Grand Marquis, Explorer and Expedition.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The RWD Fords in Australia specify Mobil 424 fluid for their power steering.

9.6cst

Awesome! Good to know Im on the right track shooting for 9cst.

Falcon, that CHF-11S is running only 6cst. My issue was the steering was so loose in the middle and going thicker has seemed to help it. The noise reduction seems to be a side benefit.

Gotcha! Mercon V is 7.5 cSt, but the steering is firmer and more "muscular" with CHF-11S. Then again, Mercon V has a viscosity index of 205 vs. 313 for CHF-11S, which probably explains it. Mobil 424 is 9.6 cSt, but seems it has a viscosity index of 145. May be something to considering alongside cSt.
smile.gif

Hmm, Ill probably give it a shot when I get another car, one that is worth $11/L fluid. Or If I have to put a steering box in this one.

Lift the front end leaving the front wheels hanging and straight. Loosen the lock nut and turn the adjusting screw at little at a time CW until the play is removed.
It should turn with the same amount of force in both directions, if its tighter in one direction the screw is too tight back it off 1/8 turn at a time.

I have driven Fords of all kinds for many years and never had a PS pump that failed or whined. Also I only use M1 ATF, which I turkey baster ever engine oil change. 10K.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Did you try to adjust the steering box?
No. How do you do that?
If it's never been adjusted it ought to help.

If you want to get rid of PS whine....Royal Purple PS fluid has always worked for me. I have used it on GM & Fords with success.

MB, BMW, and Volvo to name a couple, used adjustable recirculating ball steering boxes long after other makers had switched to "rack and pinion".I suspect they had good reason to stick with them. I've yet to see an adjustable rack, though they may be out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
MB, BMW, and Volvo to name a couple, used adjustable recirculating ball steering boxes long after other makers had switched to "rack and pinion".I suspect they had good reason to stick with them. I've yet to see an adjustable rack, though they may be out there.

The one on my Accord is adjustable, once when it was making a clunking noise I set it to the spec in the manual and it made the noise go away. I'm not sure what you are actually adjusting but whatever it was it helped.

I went a little over a full turn. It started getting tight after about a turn and a half, so I backed it off. Is much better. Thanks for the help!

Every rack is adjustable in some way, it has to be. Some use an adjusting screw with lock nut and other use shims.

The reason is reliability.
Back in the 1980s, many P/S racks would leak, and cost a fortune to replace back then. It was a major reason why Honda developed their own power steering fluid.

As for adjustment, many P/S racks would have a nut that was staked into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back