02 Jeep Liberty, 239K Miles, leaks little oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 2002 that I bought new. Got the rear main seal fixed under extended warranty. Still leaked a little down the road. Used max life 5w-30 and helped a lot. Had about 110,000 when I sold it. Don't forget to change the spark plugs. They use copper plugs and mine where shot by 30k.

239k. Why worry? Top off as needed. Don't put any money into a 3.7 w 239k. Every mile is borrowed time at this point. A lot of those engines didn't make it much past 150k. Drive till it blows up or trade / sell now while it still runs. A little research on the jeep forums will confirm 239k is very respectable for a 3.7 in a liberty. It ain't gonna live a whole lot longer.

Last edited:
that is a tiny leak, especially for that many miles. the HM 10-30 or the AT-205 are both the right call in my opinion.

The 3.7 was sold in the standard cab rams, it's a robust engine for this application.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
239k. Why worry? Top off as needed. Don't put any money into a 3.7 w 239k. Every mile is borrowed time at this point. A lot of those engines didn't make it much past 150k. Drive till it blows up or trade / sell now while it still runs. A little research on the jeep forums will confirm 239k is very respectable for a 3.7 in a liberty. It ain't gonna live a whole lot longer.

Really good point.
No engine lasts forever and 239K is pretty good with no major work.

Chances are the valve cover gaskets are leaking - like every other 3.7 Jeep Liberty I've ever seen - increasing the weight of the oil isn't going to help much...not when those gaskets get going.

It's not a bad job to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back