Best Hm syn Oil For 1998 Mercedes Benz SUV ML320

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a good synthetic high mileage oil and filter for a 98 MB 320 6cyl that leaks oil. Something sold at wal mart which is close to the kids house that has the vehicle.. I told him Mobil 1 high mileage but i don't know what weights they sell im looking for something heavier than 10w30. He got this vehicle for free and wants to try to keep it running..(good luck) lol

Walmart has Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage which is a very good oil. Only $22 for a 5 quart jug last time I was there.

How much does it leak? If he got it for free I'd be using the cheapest high mileage oil first and take it from there. I'm sure the crankcase needs 8 quarts or something similar.

Originally Posted By: JC1
How much does it leak? If he got it for free I'd be using the cheapest high mileage oil first and take it from there. I'm sure the crankcase needs 8 quarts or something similar.

Good point. Maybe try the Super Tech HM first.

The 3.2L V6 at that time was very good engine. Owning an MB requires these tools: fluid extractor and oil filter cap wrench.

Oil filter cap wrench of that engine is 74mm 14 flutes, you can buy one at O'Reilly or Pep Boys for about $5-6.

Fluid extractor is a tough one, there are many choices and you need 8.5-9 quarts capacity or larger. I have one for more than 10-12 years and changing in an MB is so easy with it.

MB engine doesn't like dino oil, if you use non-synthetic oil you need to reduce OCI to no more than 2/3 FSS, but you can re-use the cartridge oil filter for another OCI.

The M1 HM 10W30 is a 3.5 HTHS oil so it's more like a ACEA A3 than the usual ILSAC GF5 Oils. Just in case the 3.1 HTHS of most US 5W/10W-30 is the issue.

I would use whatever oil you're using that meets MB Sheet 229.5 and add Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver as a high mileage additive.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I would use whatever oil you're using that meets MB Sheet 229.5 and add Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver as a high mileage additive.

+1
01.gif

If you don't want to fix the leaking seal correctly, then you will be hard pressed to find a better HM oil than Maxlife 5w-30 synthetic blend. You of course would want to avoid the HM oils that come in full synthetic version, since their detergent packages are almost guaranteed to make your leak worse.

If you're going to accept a leaker, you'll be hard pressed to find a more suitable oil than the MaxLife 5w-30 synthetic blend. Great additive/detergent package and will help slow a bad leak. And the Walmart pricing is almost unbeatable from a price point, standpoint.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Mobil 1 High Mileage for sure. They have it in 10W-40 at Walmart as well as 20W-50 if I'm not mistaken.

Doesn't come in 20W50 unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: JC1

Agree. I just don't see--except when it is on sale--where Syn makes sense in this motor. A good conv HM should serve that motor well. Don't believe it needs to be a current Merc spec either. Overkill

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
+1
You can get Liqui-Moly oil saver at NAPA, and sometimes they have discounts on 5w40 and 0w40 oils which meet Benz specifications.

Anyway, the leaks probably have to be fixed by replacing leaking gaskets and seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back