How do you avoid being perceived as a rookie when

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been a visual learner. I'll watch what someone does and try it myself, but i'll also try and find my own way to see what works best for me. I tend to ask many questions because I'm always naturally curious and love to learn new things, but what I've noticed when I ask lots of questions people just assume I'm a rookie or just don't know any better. How do you avoid this? Just don't ask questions? lol

Everyone has to be the rookie at some point, don't sweat it. As you put in more time and experience it'll pass. What do you do?

It flatters the guy you're asking as long as you look like you absorb some of it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It flatters the guy you're asking as long as you look like you absorb some of it.

Not a rookie answer. Good job!

As a visual learner myself, I would have to say, it depends how you pose the question.

It's hard to explain, but the perception is, there are intelligent questions, and there are dumb questions.

I'm a boss and would be very disappointed if one of my workers didn't ask about something they are not experienced or clear on. They could be killed if they tried to learn by themselves. Unless you are asking questions that you should know or are very bad questions I think your bosses or whomever they are need to smarten up! my coworker, the office boss sometimes says "google it" and that drives me crazy. Half my day is training and helping and every time I do I feel great that I could assist or further the knowledge of my team.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I've always been a visual learner. I'll watch what someone does and try it myself, but i'll also try and find my own way to see what works best for me. I tend to ask many questions because I'm always naturally curious and love to learn new things, but what I've noticed when I ask lots of questions people just assume I'm a rookie or just don't know any better. How do you avoid this? Just don't ask questions? lol

Are you asking the same questions over and over? Same question different ways? Are you understanding the answers and getting clarification if you don't.
Also, what is this referring too? Job, hobby, general tinkering?

Originally Posted By: expat
As a visual learner myself, I would have to say, it depends how you pose the question.

It's hard to explain, but the perception is, there are intelligent questions, and there are dumb questions.

I have to agree, there are dumb questions. I know the meaning behind the saying, but the questions can be dumb (but need to be asked).

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
You are a rookie until you're teaching someone else.
nope! I'm not close to being a rookie nor do I know it all. I'm pretty dang good at what I do. I know that I don't know everything and my coworkers have knowledge and experience I dont. To think that I do would be a rookie move. I can always learn and there is always someone who has been there and done that. I work with people with decades of experience and we trade all the time and I am better for it. I can always learn... that's my way of thinking

I never gave it any thought. If I have a question I ask, that's how I learn. If I know nothing about the subject I'm a rookie. If I know about the subject I'm asking, maybe to learn how someone else does something, most smart people can pick it up.

When my Father was a Welder for the City,
he heard another Tradsmens say to his assigned Helper,
"I taught you everything I know and you still don't know anything"

Originally Posted By: abycat
I'm a boss....

Sorry no offense but(?)... Anyone who would use the phrase 'i'm a boss' grates on my inner soul. 'Anytime one of my workers...' Seriously you make yourself sound like some over Lord of inferior people. I'm thankful I am not one of you 'workers.'

What is your job title? Is it 'The Boss' or something like a foreman or supervisor?

Never be afraid to ask questions, things change all the time and you need to stay up to date no matter if your a beginner or experienced pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back