I am going back to use what I been use in old day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The castrol GTX Magnatec is only a couple of dollars more and it is a semisynthetic oil. It is good stuff. Will it make your engine last longer than regular Castrol GTX? Who knows, but it can be run for a slightly longer change interval and it gives the warm fuzzies of using a synthetic without the price tag.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Go with GTX 10W30. I definitely understand that feeling of nostalgia and the good ol days:). GTX was the very first oil I ever bought. Then it was Syntec Blend. When we were cleaning out my dad's house I found one of my old quarts of Syntec Blend I'd probably bought when I was in my 20s. I still have it sitting in my house right now along side of some of my parents possessions that have sentimental value to me.

I understand, you nail it what I had in mind
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif
11.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
BrocLuno said:
I'm not using Valvoline YET, gonna stay with Shell in the sump untiul fall and then change it for some VR1

I am currently running Valvoline in my car, however ... (surprise !!!) the Valvoline sold here is actually made in 'Europes' as motor_oil_madman would say. Some of the grades of Valvoline which are sold in the US (SynPower 0W-40) are also made in Europe.

It is done by those Dutch people again
smile.gif
http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/contact

Last edited:
Here's some good American Company oils with a range of products to choose from;
1) Valvoline
2) Motorcraft / Kendall / Union 76 / Trop Artic
3) Chevron Supreme / Havoline (great oil, great price)
4) Various Mobil products

Nothing wrong with Castrol; owned by BP
QS, PZ and Formula Shell all owned by Royal Dutch Shell. Products are great.

Super Tech from Walmart refined and bottled by Warren, a good American Company.

If you like your QS Green Bottle, use it and sleep good.

Middle age crisis?
LOL!
Having found a nice old Mustang, no reason not to use GTX if that would float your boat.
It would not be my first pick, but it's certainly a solid and serviceable oil.
There are guys here running what their fathers ran for that reason alone.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Use something made in this country, I'm pretty sure Castrol is a foreign company. Pennzoil is American comes straight from Pennsylvania. Support our economy here, not Europes.

What? Pennsylvania hasn't refined any crude oil for Pennzoil in YEARS! Castrol in the US has their own wells and refineries. Same goes for Shell, Mobil, Conoco, etc. Regardless of what you buy, you are supporting American jobs and economy. There's very little refining going on in Pennsylvania anymore as it is, what little they do goes into cosmetics like beauty products, lotions, skin oils, etc.. Apparently, that Pennsylvania crude has something desirable in it for those items!

Hey MS,

If you want to use GTX then go for it. Like Aquariuscsm, GTX was the first ever oil I purchased with my own money, so I have a soft spot for it too.

Castrol GTX has kept pace with changing times, it's available as a modern API SN mineral oil, and should look after you fine. Here is a recent PQIA GTX analysis and it looks good: PQIA GTX10W40
Novack = 11%
Zinc = 860 ppm
Boron = 166 ppm
Moly = 85 ppm
TBN = 7.3
Nothing wrong with those numbers.

Back in the day the entry level oil for Castrol was XL then GTX was their better oil and then came their high end synthetic stuff like TXT or Formula-R. So GTX wasn't their entry level stuff, it was the next level up. Today for Castrol their entry level stuff is GTX, then Magnatec, then full synthetic Edge. So in some respects the modern equivalent of the old GTX would be the newer Magnatec (or GTX Magnatec).

Now GTX is mineral, Magnatec is either semi-synthetic or full synthetic (depending on grade) and Edge is always full synthetic.

I recently used some modern SN rated GTX and liked it. BITOG GTX

A few weeks ago, I dropped the GTX from my sump, and filled it with Castrol Magnatec 10W30 semi-synthetic, and I like it even better.

Hey, motor_oil_madman: If you want to support a local US company in your backyard, ConocoPhilips is a Houston-based company. Decent environmental record and is often the company behind the MotorCraft's oil. So just buy the Ford Product... which would also be my rec for the 98 'Stang

Castrol or BP (British Petroleum) is about as anti-American as you can get. If buying out AMACO was not enough, they had to bury our gulf in oil and then go on vacation. I have not bought their products since the spill and always recommend against it. Their oil is made with pelican blood and off the backs of local fishermen.

Buying a US-sourced product is a bit of a [censored] as everyone seems to pull from one big pot of international and US crude. I go with Chevron/Havoline, Warren PP (makes Supertech as well as other house brands), Valvoline (I buy their NAPA-branded product), Exxon(-the-evil-empirte-)Mobil and of course ConocoPhillips.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Middle age crisis?
LOL!
Having found a nice old Mustang, no reason not to use GTX if that would float your boat.
It would not be my first pick, but it's certainly a solid and serviceable oil.
There are guys here running what their fathers ran for that reason alone.

Not mid life yet, but mabe very early 30 years old crisis
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hey MS,

If you want to use GTX then go for it. Like Aquariuscsm, GTX was the first ever oil I purchased with my own money, so I have a soft spot for it too.

Castrol GTX has kept pace with changing times, it's available as a modern API SN mineral oil, and should look after you fine. Here is a recent PQIA GTX analysis and it looks good: PQIA GTX10W40
Novack = 11%
Zinc = 860 ppm
Boron = 166 ppm
Moly = 85 ppm
TBN = 7.3
Nothing wrong with those numbers.

Back in the day the entry level oil for Castrol was XL then GTX was their better oil and then came their high end synthetic stuff like TXT or Formula-R. So GTX wasn't their entry level stuff, it was the next level up. Today for Castrol their entry level stuff is GTX, then Magnatec, then full synthetic Edge. So in some respects the modern equivalent of the old GTX would be the newer Magnatec (or GTX Magnatec).

Now GTX is mineral, Magnatec is either semi-synthetic or full synthetic (depending on grade) and Edge is always full synthetic.

I recently used some modern SN rated GTX and liked it. BITOG GTX

A few weeks ago, I dropped the GTX from my sump, and filled it with Castrol Magnatec 10W30 semi-synthetic, and I like it even better.

That a great info. Thank you. I post some pix next oil change on castrol GTX, Its feel good to use it again.
This my new baby, 1998 Mustang GT 4.6L all original, california car, I am the second owner. I had 98 Mustang gt black ,look exactly just like this, accept the color, everything else is exactly the same, I sold it back then and been looking for it for 4 years now, I even pay some one to locate it for me, but no luck, so recently I gave up and saw this one pop up, and call the owner and bought right away. This white one will replace my black one,and I am plan on fixing what ever problem it have and plan on keeping it forever ( just like rest of my cars lol ) , with moneys I made now , there is no reason for me to let any of my baby go.

First thing I did to this white stang is take to the tint shop for some tint.
laugh.gif

w0ryu9.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Use something made in this country, I'm pretty sure Castrol is a foreign company. Pennzoil is American comes straight from Pennsylvania. Support our economy here, not Europes.

IDC

So did you decide on 5W20 (current spec), 5W30 (original spec) or 10W30 (Slightly higher HTHS and more shear stable)?

In Vicksburg the 4.6L will love you either way.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Here's some good American Company oils with a range of products to choose from;
1) Valvoline
2) Motorcraft / Kendall / Union 76 / Trop Artic
3) Chevron Supreme / Havoline (great oil, great price)
4) Various Mobil products

Nothing wrong with Castrol; owned by BP
QS, PZ and Formula Shell all owned by Royal Dutch Shell. Products are great.

Super Tech from Walmart refined and bottled by Warren, a good American Company.

If you like your QS Green Bottle, use it and sleep good.

thumbsup2.gif
Good post/advice

Originally Posted By: Gene K
So did you decide on 5W20 (current spec), 5W30 (original spec) or 10W30 (Slightly higher HTHS and more shear stable)?

In Vicksburg the 4.6L will love you either way.

5w30 castrol GTX high miles with FL820s , change every 5000 or 6 month, because that what the preview owner been using whole thing he owning it, it take me a while to get an answer from him. Im glad he use castrol gtx.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Hey, motor_oil_madman: If you want to support a local US company in your backyard, ConocoPhilips is a Houston-based company. Decent environmental record and is often the company behind the MotorCraft's oil. So just buy the Ford Product... which would also be my rec for the 98 'Stang

Castrol or BP (British Petroleum) is about as anti-American as you can get. If buying out AMACO was not enough, they had to bury our gulf in oil and then go on vacation. I have not bought their products since the spill and always recommend against it. Their oil is made with pelican blood and off the backs of local fishermen.

Buying a US-sourced product is a bit of a [censored] as everyone seems to pull from one big pot of international and US crude. I go with Chevron/Havoline, Warren PP (makes Supertech as well as other house brands), Valvoline (I buy their NAPA-branded product), Exxon(-the-evil-empirte-)Mobil and of course ConocoPhillips.

Then you better not ever buy Exxon/Mobil either. The gulf spill was like a minor headache compared to the Exxon Valdez oil spill. Totally different grades of crude. The gulf stuff was light sweet and most of it evaporated and dispersed. The Alaska spill was much more devastating, and it was a smaller amount from a tanker compared to a busted under water well head spewing for weeks. But if you are going to be a purest in your distain for an oil company not doing the right thing, then you had better ditch Exxon/Mobil. The gulf spill for the deepwater horizon well might have been the largest accidental spill in history, at 206 million gallons of crude, it was barely a blip on the radar in terms of devastation compared to many others.

252,000,000 million in Kuwait - malicious intent as opposed to a rig/ship accident - in addition to the environment SH harmed - one of the best reservoirs in the world damaged for the long term ($millions lost)
Hey, but there is no one left to hate ...

Last edited:
I don't see what is so bad about buying Castrol GTX. My dad used GTX 20w50 in a 1987 Hyundai Excel and he made it last 110,000 miles. Nobody else ever got that kind of life from a Hyundai Excel. He used it in other cars in our family, but none of those cars were nearly as bad as the Hyundai Excel.

The other thing to think about is if the USA and the UK trade fairly. If they do, someone in the UK is using their income to buy from an American business.

I use Castrol Edge because my dad had so much success with Castrol products.

Actually the Hyundai exel was not the worst car of the time back in 87 and those engines were ok for such a cheap car. Of course it was not a great car by any means, Hyundai back then was a joke according to most Toyota and Honda and even American car people but oh boy has the tables turned these days the joke is on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back