How are lg android devices now days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had bad luck with lg phones but it's been a few years and I know things change. I can get a really good deal on 2 lg phones. And was just wondering how they stack up in today's world with other devices like apple or Samsung htc ect. I have the 6s iPhone and it's ok the camera is a little buggy and it over heats easily . By far the worst I phone ive owned. My older ones were usually great. So we may go back to android. That being said how are the lg phones and how is the current android os?

My wife has a LG Leon and I have a LG stylo. Both are from Walmart (part of their T-Mobile Family plans) and both are relatively inexpensive. Her's is Android 5.0 and mine is 6.0. Both work ok and we had no problem pairing them to bluetooth in our car. Wife uses her phone a lot more than me and the only complaint is the battery runs down fairly quickly and usually has to be charged daily. Other than that they are fine given their price.

a couple months back, by brother was shopping for new service, as his old carrier(T-Mobile) has ZERO coverage here.
ended Up on a Verizon prepaid plan, with an LG something or other that the phone monkey at wallyworld had talked up.
He liked it for the first 2 weeks, then suddenly the battery wouldn't hold a charge. he was out side of Walmart's 15 day return window for electronics, so he went back and bought a Moto G. it was on clearance, so he got it for like $35. so far, he's had ZERO issues/complaints with it. he did send the LG whoziwhatsits in for a warranty repair, just to have as a backup, just in case.

Personally, I've owned Both LG and Motorola cells (dumb, and smart)
the ones i've had the most problems with have Been LG's. that's not to say the moto's have been perfect, but wayy better than the LG's... of course i have friends with the EXACT OPPOSITE experience, so...YMMV...

all my smart phones have and will continue to be android, since, as I covered in another recent thread, I have a Fully Irrational loathing of Apple, and their products. absolutely no reason, just a gut feeling.

Last edited:
Lg's typically dont have very good battery life. What models do you get good deals on? It would be model specific. Ive had great experiences with samsung and motorola.

As a visual learner myself, I would have to say, it depends how you pose the question.

It's hard to explain, but the perception is, there are intelligent questions, and there are dumb questions.

Last edited:
Love LG tvs but im more of a motorola and samsung guy when it comes to phones. But with that said I have had and parents have LG phones with no problems. I would buy one if i found a good deal.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Lg's typically dont have very good battery life. What models do you get good deals on? It would be model specific. Ive had great experiences with samsung and motorola.

I had a lg xenon but it was years ago and it was a cross between a bad smartphone and a dumb phone so not really comparable but it had great battery life. And I agree all the samsungs that I or friends have had were great phones.

Well Apple is Apple and Samsung is the premium Android (sales wise) however I've never had a problem with LG their phones may not be the #1 brand buts it's a good company that makes respectable devices. I bought a LG G3 back at launch in 2014? Still today it performs very well and can keep up with most newer phones.

Even with Full Disk encryption the thing is just as snappy as ever with the exception of being powered on for the first time each morning.

One thing I would look at with interest is how heavily LG has "skinned" Android. I don't know if they have or haven't, I'm just making the suggestion to check on that first. I've owned a number of Android phones (plus one iPhone myself), and I've found that the more a phone manufacturer has modified the operating system, the less reliable it generally is. We had some Motorola Droid 2 phones a while back and they were just rubbish. I think most of it was due to Motorola's skin, or shell, on Android. In comparison, over the last few years Motorola's selling point is a mostly stock version of Android, with only a very few changes. I recently bought an unlocked Moto G4 and am loving it so far. No pre-installed junk, no carrier-installed junk...just clean and lean.

I don't like Samsumg phones because of their TouchWiz skin. I never have liked their idea of what Android should be. It's a shame, because they make some great phones in terms of hardware, but I don't like their software.

You asked about the current version of Android -- 6.0.1 is what's on most new devices today. It's a very nice operating system, and I prefer a lot of things in Android to their counterpart in iOS. I had an iPhone (my daughter still uses it), my wife has an iPhone, and we have an iPad -- so we have a lot of iOS in our house. But I think Android has really matured into an operating system that's at least as nice as iOS. But again -- that's all subject to how much tinkering LG has done with it. If they've left it mostly stock, then good on them! If they've modified it heavily, then I'd personally probably look for a different phone, but that's just my personal preference.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

You aren't kidding about that! The LG Spectrum I had from new would only get about 4-5 hours of battery life ... if I didn't use it.

As a dutiful Father..I gave both my daughters phones. My youngest is very hard on phones and about once a year I have to replace her lost or damaged phone.

Last year I replaced her destroyed Samsung with a LG Curve2 phone and I have been pleasantly surprised. So far, the LG Curve2 has been very good. No dropped calls..excellent connectivity and a very good display. The processor speed is very good too. Battery life is good and the phone charges very quickly with the supplied "fast charger". The camera(s) exceed the very critical demands of a teenager. And she has not yet been able to break the phone too.

I think LG is making some very good phones now trying to be relevant in a Samsung/Apple phone world. The LG Curve2 was being almost given away by Sprint at the time.

I was surprised at the quality of my $30 LG Tribute 2 when I switched to RingPlus. It's been working well for quite a few months now -- call quality, battery life and the stability of the Android. The screen is not as vibrant as my wife's Samsung but mine is a bottom of the barrel phone.

I've had my LG Nexus 5x since Thanksgiving with zero problems. Battery life is pretty respectable too and I can usually get a full day out of one full charge. Overall, it's probably the best phone I've had.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I've had bad luck with lg phones but it's been a few years and I know things change. I can get a really good deal on 2 lg phones. And was just wondering how they stack up in today's world with other devices like apple or Samsung htc ect. I have the 6s iPhone and it's ok the camera is a little buggy and it over heats easily . By far the worst I phone ive owned. My older ones were usually great. So we may go back to android. That being said how are the lg phones and how is the current android os?

google "LG bootload loop issue". Bricks the phone and very very common, especially on the upper-end phones. LG has been spotty at RMA'ing them, although they've improved recently. However, many people's replaced or repaired phones repeat the problem. I'd stay away. Many LG phones don't have a strong GPS sensor, if that is important to you.

The GPS chip in the LG Curve2 is the best I've seen compared to Samsung and others..surprising

I purchased a new LG Tribute 2 for $35.00 several months ago and activated it on the free Ringplus cell phone service. Meets my needs for a phone and with the free Ringplus service my monthly cell phone bill is 0 Dollars a month. Being retired now for several years I am not tethered to a cell phone but it works when needed.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
The GPS chip in the LG Curve2 is the best I've seen compared to Samsung and others..surprising

That's good to hear. The weak GPS in LG phones has been a big factor in my not purchasing them. I hope they improve in all their phones. I have a cheap ZTE phone and all of its antennas and radios are the strongest of any phone I've had, mostly Motorolas.

In January bought LG G Vista 2 which is comparable to Samsung Galaxy Note. For me it was one the cheapest phones AT&T sold. With calls it is great. I can use speaker phone most of time and almost everyone hears me. Battery is replaceable. I like that. Battery life is fine, but I do limit the use of the phone. It is fast and seems to work well overall.

What I do not like is there is very little online support. AT&T store person told me to Google my questions. There are very few accessories. I ended up getting a Samsung car charger on Ebay since I could not find an LG one. It blows away the Iphone 4 I had, but it was a much older phone.

It may help to list the specific phone they are offering. I read online reviews before purchasing. My LG phone has performed well for 6 months. I would purchase LG brand again.

My lady and I went with project Fi from google. Both of our phones are LG Nexus 5x models. Both have been faultless for several months. One minor exception.....hers will display horizontally when the display is turned sideways with the home screen on, mine will not. I don't know why either but it's hardly a deal breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back