New old ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a 1998 m3 convertible in Dakar yellow. It has 70k miles on it and looks extremely clean.
Looking to change all the fluids, what do you recommend? Would a m1 0w40 work?

M1 0W-40 would work fine. Information on other appropriate fluid types can be found here.
The E36 M3 is an absolutely wonderful car- and a tremendous value(for now anyway).

Awesome! Post pictures - always loved those.

M1 0w-40 is a great oil for that car. You could also consider pennzoil platinum euro 5w-40, as well as the HDEO 5w-40 oils. That is not an engine that needs a crazy 60wt as I recall.

I really am a fan of the Amsoil manual transmission fluid for BMW gearboxes. While many claim that redline is the way to go, I always found that the amsoil fluid held great shifting characteristics longer.

Im not sure there's really a best diff fluid, but if you have an LSD, Castrol XJ, which is a 75w-140 LSD lube is the right stuff. Im not sure there's a real issue with going 75w-90 in that car, you might consider 75w-110 though if youll be driving it hard. Amsoil SVG is my favorite.

Also get some G-48 blue coolant and do a flush of the radiator at minimum. Make sure there's no plastic parts in there that need to be replaced (water pump impellers, etc).

Pictures!!

Cue the practicality nerds chanting in lockstep that you should have bought an anodyne appliance...

Yeah I have not bought an appliance in years life is too short and you can always make more $$$

Cleaned up with the top down. Car is in great shape no rust anywhere no dings no scratches and the paint is 8 out of 10 needs nothing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SEBZX79
Picked up a 1998 m3 convertible in Dakar yellow. It has 70k miles on it and looks extremely clean.
Looking to change all the fluids, what do you recommend? Would a m1 0w40 work?

Wow, what a goodlooking ride! Of course, we're partial to yellow.
smile.gif
So you know, your 1998 BMW M3 does not require a full synthetic 10W-60 like the newer M3s, but Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 Full Synthetic with PurePlus Technology would be a great choice for this vehicle. PurePlus Technology is our patented, revolutionary gas-to-liquid process which converts natural gas into high quality full synthetic base oil with fewer impurities than traditional base oils made from crude oil. Hope this helps! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 Full Synthetic with PurePlus Technology would be a great choice for this vehicle. PurePlus Technology is our patented, revolutionary gas-to-liquid process which converts natural gas into high quality full synthetic base oil with fewer impurities than traditional base oils made from crude oil. Hope this helps! - The Pennzoil Team

[off-topic]
GenaFishbeck,
couple years ago i met a young guy with a new 2012 Kia Optima. Your oil impressed the guy that much that he was doing 30k miles oil changes with your oil, with 2 filter changes during that interval....
[/off-topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back