what is the problem with the "new" gas cans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand some of the complaints. I just have a cheap, normal plastic can with a little lever you have to push to pour.

Yes, it pours more slowly then an old-fashioned can, but I can live with that. I've never spilled gas using it and it doesn't leak fumes in my garage.

21.gif
Works fine for me.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I don't understand some of the complaints. I just have a cheap, normal plastic can with a little lever you have to push to pour.

Yes, it pours more slowly then an old-fashioned can, but I can live with that. I've never spilled gas using it and it doesn't leak fumes in my garage.

21.gif
Works fine for me.

You're not 70 some trying to lift a 5 gal. can either, I bet.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Use to be you could get a good plastic can for $4. Now you have to buy an $8 spout to make it a good plastic can again.

You can get the same spout at Menards for $5.00, just don't check where it's made!

Maybe I should sell my 1991 vintage 2-gallon plastic gas can. It's just been gathering dust in the garage. The vent is just a raised cylindrical portion of plastic at the back of the handle with threads on it. The cap on it never sealed worth a darn. I just keep a short lag bolt in it unless I'm pouring. I haven't used it since I bought battery powered stuff in 2011.

You might be able to drill a vent hole and seal it with a rubber plug or screw when not in use. I think that would still accomplish the mission of keeping fuel vapors at bay. My old can never stunk up the garage when I had gas in it, and it gets HOT in the garage here.

Of the multiple gas cans I have, there are three different types of "nanny nozzles" in addition to a WONDERFUL old 5 gal metal pail. Each and every nanny nozzle results in AT LEAST increased spillage for me and that includes the spring loaded so-called no spill nozzles. The Gurgglers may or may not spill as bad but that property has a strong inverse relation to is rate of pour performance.

I've invested in a couple old style replacement nozzles. The latest even came with a snap in vent plug you can drill your own hole for! For the most part, though I just keep my fuel in 1-2gal cans and siphon off my larger reserves as necessary.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Of the multiple gas cans I have, there are three different types of "nanny nozzles" in addition to a WONDERFUL old 5 gal metal pail. Each and every nanny nozzle results in AT LEAST increased spillage for me and that includes the spring loaded so-called no spill nozzles. The Gurgglers may or may not spill as bad but that property has a strong inverse relation to is rate of pour performance.

I've invested in a couple old style replacement nozzles. The latest even came with a snap in vent plug you can drill your own hole for! For the most part, though I just keep my fuel in 1-2gal cans and siphon off my larger reserves as necessary.

When the snap-in vents go south you can pick up a used tire valve stem from a tire installer and just pop it in. Remember to remove the schrader valve and keep the cap, they work great.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I buy the plastic can and put one of these on them.

http://www.ruralking.com/ez-pour-replace...CFY-LaQodw9MOFA

Thanks for the info, I just ordered 2 of them from RK. While Tractor Supply carries them it appears that you can't purchase them from a NJ store. Golly gee I wonder why. Oh wait, could it be due to the weenie government environmentalists
mad.gif
. I spill more gas trying to fill my equipment with the "environmentally friendly" nozzles then I ever did with the old style nozzles.

Whimsey

Of the all the new "EPA" cans... the No-Spill brand is great. I remember some of them had levers and safeties, required three hands to use
frown.gif
Older cans were nice because they were simple and dumped quickly... However I've spilt my share of gas when refilling small 2-stroke equipment with those can as well.

Frankly since I've been using the new No-Spill cans, I haven't spilled any gas. I just cut the safety tab off the black nozzle ring. For filling larger tanks (tractor, skid steer) I'd rather have the old cans only for the slight increase in speed.

Last edited:
I use the ones that have the lever valve on the spout, I do add a vent. Just drill a hole and stick a golf tee in it, pull the tee to open the vent. These pour just as fast as the old Wedco cans we have around and the valve does make controlling the thing a little easier.

Those push to pour spouts definitely fall into the "really suck" category. Those have caused me to spill more and get more gas on my hands and clothes than anything, I have better luck just taking the spout off and pouring right from the mouth of the can.

I'm actually ok with the spouts that have the lever you push down, but the only thing I don't like is there is no cap, so dirt gets up inside the spout and you guessed it, collects inside the tank of whatever equipment your filling up.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Using the so-called "Obama cans" as intended will result in spilling gas everywhere. Not good for your skin, not good for the environment, and (personally) not good for my blood pressure.

Interesting. I bought the emissions type cans in around 2005 or 2006, so before Obama was on anyone's radar.

I believe that is why he prefaced it as "so-called". Many like to blame Obama for it, so the misnomer has stuck.

I bought some D2 containers before they got Obama'zed (
wink.gif
), they didn't have the stupid spout that they have today, but they did lack a vent. I first stuck a sheet rock screw in where the vent ought to have been; that was too small. A 3/8 drive lag did the trick, and after threading in/out a few times I could remove the screw with my fingers.

The little ventless 1 gallon can I have (sans the spill proof spout, just a good old regular one) actually works pretty well. I can fill the small gas tank on my pushmower with ease. In that small container filling a small tank it works well enough. Something larger, forget it.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

21.gif
Works fine for me.

You're not 70 some trying to lift a 5 gal. can either, I bet.

They are annoying, I still have my old vented gas 5 gal jugs so filling the sleds or the atv isn't too bad, but my newer diesel jugs aren't vented. Fortunately I found that I could start pouring and then set the jug on the loader arm and leave it there while the tractor fills up. Holding the jug for 3-4 minutes gets annoying fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back