Sears Battery Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my car is 4 and a half years old, and I depend on it to get to work, so I decided that I was going to buy a new battery before the old one dies. I also decided that I would get an AGM battery because I was told there is less corrosion.

Was looking at AutoZone, and I know their policy on exchanges is excellent, but they want over $200 for the AGM battery. Walmart apparently doesn't sell an AGM battery for my car.
Then I remembered that Sears sells batteries, have many fond memories of my father going to Sears to get a new battery for his cars, which always had at least a couple hundred thousand on them.
Sears website has a different price for the battery I need nearly every day. Then I stopped off at a Sears Auto service outlet on my way home from work in College Point, NY, they didn't have the AGM battery in stock but told me to check back with them in a couple of days. I called them, and they said they got the AGM battery in the size I needed in stock, but there was no way they would give me the price on the internet, which at the time was $127. When I go to the Sears site you can order for in store pickup but they don't list the College Point store on their website. Why? no idea?
Anyway, looking this up the price fluctuates nearly every day. Right now it is $119 for a Sears AGM Die Hard Gold batter, $40 off list price. I realize that maybe there may be two different sizes for my car, but why doesn't the Sears auto service place honor the Sears website price? And why do they change it constantly on line?

I don't know why Sears does that, but that type of inconsistent pricing practice will aggravate buyers and further the demise of its stores. In general, people value consistency and predictability in products.

Sears does that with everything. I don't know if it's a glitch or what, but I've seen items have a price tag 6 times higher than other stores.

What I don't understand is why half the store has excersize equipment, how many people could possibly buy treadmills. Most treadmills I see are used as coat hangers.

stay far away from the scammers at sears and their wonky warranties buy auto zone gold and be done with it they are great batteries.

Well i don't know which vehicle you are looking at getting a battery for. The duralast golds has been very good to me. Corrosion comes from leaking batteries and I haven't had that issue with them. I also like the acdelco gold for their 42 Mos replacement warranty. Personally I haven't found a reason for myself to buy a agm. I have a duralast gold in my 2001 and an acdelco pro in my 2002. The duralast is over a year old and of course fine. The ac delco is a couple of years old and neither have corrosion. The ac delco is out of warranty

I bought a Diehard Platinum for my Jeep about 3 years ago. The price online wasn't even close to price in stores and they couldn't (didn't) do a thing about it.

Stupid me still bought it. Knowing what I know now, Walmart would have been a better option.

It's been a decent battery so far.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
Walmart apparently doesn't sell an AGM battery for my car.

I never understood this statement. Unless you have a really exotic/bizarre set-up, your battery is either top or side post. That's about all you really need to worry about.

I NEVER buy the replacement battery that was "designed" for my car. In my Honda, when I went to buy a replacement, I knew I needed a top post battery. I wrote down the dimensions of the factory battery and I took measurements of just how big of a battery I could fit in there.

Of course, I bought the biggest battery I could. Why not? 12V is 12V. Nothing would be harmed.

I went from 420 CCA to 750 CCA and 3 times the reserve capacity for $8 more. No brainer.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
Walmart apparently doesn't sell an AGM battery for my car.

I never understood this statement. Unless you have a really exotic/bizarre set-up, your battery is either top or side post. That's about all you really need to worry about.

I NEVER buy the replacement battery that was "designed" for my car. In my Honda, when I went to buy a replacement, I knew I needed a top post battery. I wrote down the dimensions of the factory battery and I took measurements of just how big of a battery I could fit in there.

Of course, I bought the biggest battery I could. Why not? 12V is 12V. Nothing would be harmed.

I went from 420 CCA to 750 CCA and 3 times the reserve capacity for $8 more. No brainer.

AGM is not a size but the technology. AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat and is not the same as standard lead acid batteries. Not all AGM batteries are going to carried in the same sizes as lead acid batteries in most retail locations.

As to your generalization of measuring battery dimensions and going from there, you left out important things like ensuring the polarity positioning is the same and if the application needs a case that made bottom mounted or top strap mounted. A good battery seller knows what the various size families are and what you can or cannot get away with.

Why do Sears have different online to in store pricing?

Simple, maximize profits. Walk in customers typically aren't shopping on price. They'll pay the store price especially on a battery which is most likely needed now.

This includes those who come in with pro rated warranty replacements.

Online customers are likely comparing prices so Sears has to be competitive.

Btw, Sears aren't the only people who do this. Target do as well.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

AGM is not a size but the technology. AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat and is not the same as standard lead acid batteries. Not all AGM batteries are going to carried in the same sizes as lead acid batteries in most retail locations. Of course AGM isn't a battery size. Geez. But if Walmart doesn't sell an AGM battery "in your size", I'm sure they have an AGM battery that will fit in your car, and most likely, you can get a higher performing battery than was stock.

As to your generalization of measuring battery dimensions and going from there, you left out important things like ensuring the polarity positioning is the same and if the application needs a case that made bottom mounted or top strap mounted. A good battery seller knows what the various size families are and what you can or cannot get away with. I've never seen polarity positioning be an issue. that's a new one for me. And there's always more than one way to tie down a battery. I guess not everyone is able to figure things out if they want a "better" battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin

AGM is not a size but the technology. AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat and is not the same as standard lead acid batteries. Not all AGM batteries are going to carried in the same sizes as lead acid batteries in most retail locations. Of course AGM isn't a battery size. Geez. But if Walmart doesn't sell an AGM battery "in your size", I'm sure they have an AGM battery that will fit in your car, and most likely, you can get a higher performing battery than was stock.

As to your generalization of measuring battery dimensions and going from there, you left out important things like ensuring the polarity positioning is the same and if the application needs a case that made bottom mounted or top strap mounted. A good battery seller knows what the various size families are and what you can or cannot get away with. I've never seen polarity positioning be an issue. that's a new one for me. And there's always more than one way to tie down a battery. I guess not everyone is able to figure things out if they want a "better" battery.

Seriously, going in all hillbilly with a tape measure and winging it may work for you but really over complicates buying a battery. Not too difficult to know your actual vehicle battery size and see what other size families are compatible with mount style and top post polarity footprint and finding a larger CCA. And yes you can buy batteries with the same size and terminal post placement, but the polarities can be reversed. One comes to mind is a size 24 and 24F are the same batteries but the post polarity is reversed.

Seriously, going in all hillbilly with a tape measure and winging it may work for you but really over complicates buying a battery. Not too difficult to know your actual vehicle battery size and see what other size families are compatible with mount style and top post polarity footprint and finding a larger CCA. And yes you can buy batteries with the same size and terminal post placement, but the polarities can be reversed. One comes to mind is a size 24 and 24F are the same batteries but the post polarity is reversed.

+1

My vehicles came with and are already specified for the biggest batteries they could fit. Post polarity and location matters because the cables have very little slack in them.

If anything I'd prefer smaller batteries because they are so awkward and heavy to remove and replace.

Battery terminal polarity is important. Most, BUT NOT ALL, Chrysler vehicles have reversed terminals. You really need to know which battery yours uses.

Thanks to all for the input. The really ridiculous thing is I am still without a battery. I decided screw Sears their price is different every day, and they don't allow in store pickup (or can't verify it on line) to my closest Sears auto center. I should have just ordered a battery from Amazon. Instead, I went on line to AutoZone for in-store pickup. they said the battery was in stock, which I assumed meant in stock at my closest store. NO, still waiting two full days later for an email confirming that the part is in. meanwhile a coupon I had expired. If I had just driven to the autozone, I could have just bought a battery over the counter, but I went on line just to make sure I didn't waste 40 minutes driving to my nearest store.

Visiting Sears is such an unpleasant experience for many. Little wonder they're barely hanging on.

fwiw two of my cars were equipped with AGM batteries as OE. That's precisely what they received for replacements.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
stay far away from the scammers at sears and their wonky warranties buy auto zone gold and be done with it they are great batteries.

Costco > Anyone else (at least in Canada).

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Battery terminal polarity is important. Most, BUT NOT ALL, Chrysler vehicles have reversed terminals. You really need to know which battery yours uses.

Negative is negative, positive is positive? Am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back