QS filters 'closer' to OEM quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without getting into all the specifics; I will be doing an OC on my Kia Soul soon, and have a choice to make on oil filter.

Will be choosing between a basic Fram orange can; and a QS filter only.

There is a lot of concern in the Kia 'community' about only using genuine Kia filters, and that is not possible here. BUT, the QS filter 'feels' like a solider filter - it is a bit smaller, as QS filters usually are.

Does anyone think they woudl be closer to a Kia filter than a Fram OCOD?

I'm not 100% sure but isn't the QS filter just a Purolator Classic?

I would just order a Fram Ultra off of Amazon.ca for $9 and change.

Last edited:
You can get the Oem ones off EBay. Get a 6 pack and they usually come with the crush gasket for drain plug. That way you'll be good for a while.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
I'm not 100% sure but isn't the QS filter just a Purolator Classic?

yessiree bob. they are indeed.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
I would just order a Fram Ultra off of Amazon.ca for $9 and change.

sounds like a solid plan. but i doubt the op will do it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Without getting into all the specifics; I will be doing an OC on my Kia Soul soon, and have a choice to make on oil filter.

There is a lot of concern in the Kia 'community' about only using genuine Kia filters, and that is not possible here. BUT, the QS filter 'feels' like a solider filter - it is a bit smaller, as QS filters usually are.

What does this Kia community know about oil filter construction.

Originally Posted By: Donald

What does this Kia community know about oil filter construction.

Think hes referring to people referring to the older tsbs for oem filters

The TSB i am thinking of was around 2005 so if the Kia is newer, you'll be fine.

For example, I ran many filter brands on my moms '13 Elantra. It didn't care.

Proselects are much cheaper also.. I paid 3.59 for one im using whereas ocod would run me 7.75. Qs like 5.99 i think..

Yeah, I am referring to the concern about the TSB over Kia-only filters...although the practical side of me says thousands of Kias are running around with non-OEM filters on them and doing just fine.

Filter has to be from my work, Canadian Tire. Am absolutely strapped for cash and due for an OCI; but am getting a $25 gift cert. through work for extra training I am doing, so OCI ingredients have to come from this...will most likely be a $15 sale jug of MM F1 oil and a MM 9688 filter...cheap fresh oil and filter is better than nothing, current oil has 6k on it.

As much as Purolator has been annoying me the last while, if I did have to choose a lower end (i.e. non-synthetic) Purolator product, it probably would be a QS. The ones we've seen here seem to have looked a little better. Additionally, you'd probably know better than I do who is making the Motomaster filters these days.

By the way, raise a stink upstairs and find out why I haven't seen a 50% off Regane sale for ages.
wink.gif

We can sorta 'scrap' the above discussion....IF this plan goes through on the week I plan, Fram Toughguard filters will be on sale for the same price as the QS filters, so the car will get a TG 9688 filter and MM F1 conventional to last it until winter (early November).

Garak: Shell appears to be 'pulling away' from working with CT as much as it used to. Castrol has made a real push to be CT supplier; so they are our shop oil now, and there are more sales on Castrol oil than any other. Shell still supplies a lot of our house-brand oil; but they are ceding ground to others (small engine/marine oils are now Mystic).

If a Tough Guard is an option you're golden. We have used Tough Guards on our daughter's 15 KIA for near 29k now without the slightest issue. Yes she drives a lot! Ha ha.

Garak: Shell appears to be 'pulling away' from working with CT as much as it used to. Castrol has made a real push to be CT supplier; so they are our shop oil now, and there are more sales on Castrol oil than any other. Shell still supplies a lot of our house-brand oil; but they are ceding ground to others (small engine/marine oils are now Mystic).

Your TG plan sounds sensible to me. As for Castrol, yes, it doesn't surprise me. Wakefield seems to have let things slip a little bit with Canadian Tire, and it's about time for them to step their game up again. There have always been fairly decent Castrol specials at CT, but it has slipped a bit, and I'm definitely surprised Wakefield never really pushed much to be the house brand supplier or the service fill. They sure put enough work in to get the independents' business.

As an aside, I picked up some Castrol LMA DOT 4 in the 12 oz bottles for $4 each, my cost from one of my suppliers. Next time you're at work, take a look at the price of DOT 4.
wink.gif

Well, the best laid plans....

I got the gift certificate I was waiting for from my work, but by then the F1/TG oil and filter sale was off...ironically, the QS filters went on sale the day I got the money!

So, I did a change today with a QS 14612 filter and 4 liters of Motomaster Supreme 5W-30. It was be a 'short' fall change before I change it again in November for a 0W synthetic for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back