Ozonated Distilled Water in the Cooling System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I've read where some people say that using ozonated distilled water in the cooling system might not be a good idea. But it seems almost all the distilled water at the grocery stores these days is ozonated.

What have you guys heard? Will ozonated distilled water (which I assume contains some ozone from the process) be more aggressive on the materials in the cooling system?

I do find it genuinely interesting how you haven't had any problem dumping Red Line Water Wetter into a OAT ELC system, yet have taken distilled water to these lengths for possible doubts...

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
I do find it genuinely interesting how you haven't had any problem dumping Red Line Water Wetter into a OAT ELC system, yet have taken distilled water to these lengths for possible doubts...

Not sure what water wetter has to do with it. My concern with ozonated distilled water is if it has ozone in it will that be detrimental to any materials in the cooling system? Ozone typically degrades rubber type materials.

There was some talk about ozonated distilled water in this thread that said it might not be good to use - see posts #4, 6 & 20.
Ozonated Distilled Water Use - LINK

Maybe the way to go is with "purified" water which also has chemicals and impurities removed but not necessarily from distillation.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
My concern with ozonated distilled water is if it has ozone in it will that be detrimental to any materials in the cooling system?

What do you think the half-life is of ozone in distilled water?

My concern with ozonated distilled water is if it has ozone in it will that be detrimental to any materials in the cooling system?

What do you think the half-life is of ozone in distilled water?

Don't know ... you tell me. If you think ozonated distilled water is fine, then please tell me why. I'm just trying to find out if it's really OK to use.

Don't know ... you tell me.

Take a few minutes to educate yourself instead of looking for someone to spoon-feed you the info. That way, the next time you come across garbage on a Mustang forum, you won't need to come here and ask the question...you'll be able to address it yourself with good info, not just listening to people on another forum.

I'm just trying to find out if it's really OK to use.

Spend more time researching Water Wetter; much better use of your resources.

Apparently the half life of residual ozone in distilled water is about 20 minutes.

Ozone is very unstable. If there isn't anything generating it (such as an electric motor) then there is no cause for concern. It decomposes rapidly and is not replenished. It's also easy to smell. If the water doesn't smell like it then it isn't there.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
If the water doesn't smell like it then it isn't there.

Additionally, it's important to add that ozonation is but part of the distillation process.

I didn't post this thread to get into some stupid argument. I'm trying to get information to clarify if ozonated water is OK for a cooling system or not.

I've looked on the web quite a bit for the information and find only info saying it might not be good. If you (Ramblejam) don't want to help me out and tell me why it's fine to use, then please don't even reply. As it stands now, based on info I've read I would say don't use it if there's a chance it can be aggressive on materials.

I see kschachn answered with some real information ... thank you for being respectful. Not everyone knows everything, so when someone is trying to get good information it would be nice if people could have inputs without being rude about it.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Apparently the half life of residual ozone in distilled water is about 20 minutes.

Ozone is very unstable. If there isn't anything generating it (such as an electric motor) then there is no cause for concern. It decomposes rapidly and is not replenished. It's also easy to smell. If the water doesn't smell like it then it isn't there.

So are you thinking that distilled water that has been ozonated (probably to kill micro-organisms) has depleted the ozone out of it before it's been bottled?

You just read something on another forum, but don't know whether it's true or not. It's just something someone said.
So, you come to another forum, looking for something someone else said to either validate or refute the first person.
See the problem here? You don't get that I'm actually trying to push you to do something that'll actually help you.

find only info saying it might not be good

Show us.

based on info I've read

I'd love to see it.

Geez or is it whew. Would have been tough to take that I've been using the 'wrong' distilled water for all these years with my cooling system distilled flush series and full strength AF top offs to 50% concentration. Of course because I've been using WM or local grocery store distilled all these years with seemingly good results, highly unlikely I would have searched out 'pharmaceutical' grade distilled anyway. But good know that the ozonated distilled talk nothing more than hearsay with no basis in fact.

And have agree with one poster on the Mustang thread regarding the presenter, saying "I think that you're just a little off the deep end.." xD

Maybe we can get this one added to the Snopes, the rumor/urban legend site.

You just read something on another forum, but don't know whether it's true or not. It's just something someone said.

Are you here to just try and start arguments and be rude, or here to help someone out without being an [censored] about it? I came here because I found information (true or not) that made it sound like ozonated water might not be good to use, and I wanted more information to see if that was true or not. In my searches, I found nothing directly that said it was fine to use in a cooling system. I come to this chat board to get answers if I fail to find them searching the net, and I don't have days to sit and search for the answer if someone knowledgeable here can share.

I'm looking for information to convince me which answer is true so I don't do harm to my cooling system by using something I shouldn't. I'm here looking for the right answer, not here to argue and try to prove something like you seem to be.

Tell you what...

These are your exact quotes:

"I've looked on the web quite a bit for the information and find only info saying it might not be good."
"based on info I've read I would say don't use it if there's a chance it can be aggressive on materials"

Whenever you present this info you've compiled, I'd be glad to address it.

I'd say this, if you're really concerned that the ozonated distilled is an issue, use a premix AF, both for the flush(s) and the fills to 50% or whatever is recommended. You'll need an inexpensive hydrometer to test for AF concentration and it's somewhat wasteful but less so in a motorcycle. Seems a bit overkill to me but it eliminates any distilled water concern you might have.

That said, imo I think you are overthinking this a bit. In my experience, plain old distilled water will work fine. And when the vehicle manufacturers recommend distilled water for the cooling system, that's all it says.

Tell you what...

These are your exact quotes:

"I've looked on the web quite a bit for the information and find only info saying it might not be good."
"based on info I've read I would say don't use it if there's a chance it can be aggressive on materials"

Whenever you present this info you've compiled, I'd be glad to address it.

Tell you what ... stop harassing me over this. If you can't understand why I came here and asked the question, they you shouldn't really even be on this chat board.

I showed the link to the Mustang board and that raised my concerns ... so don't go off on me because I don't know the real answer, and thought someone here might tell me better information. You can be a hero and provide good information, or be a zero and be an a-hole about it all. You know which one you've been.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I'd say this, if you're really concerned that the ozonated distilled is an issue, use a premix AF, both for the flush(s) and the fills to 50% or whatever is recommended. You'll need an inexpensive hydrometer to test for AF concentration and it's somewhat wasteful but less so in a motorcycle. Seems a bit overkill to me but it eliminates any distilled water concern you might have.

That said, imo I think you are overthinking this a bit. In my experience, plain old distilled water will work fine. And when the vehicle manufacturers recommend distilled water for the cooling system, that's all it says.

Like I said, I simply want to find out if ozonated distilled water is fine or not, and why. I guess I found my answer, but to tell you the true, it wasn't a pleasant experience because of one particular participant. It should have been pretty cut and dried without all the game playing.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Like I said, I simply want to find out if ozonated distilled water is fine or not, and why. I guess I found my answer, but to tell you the true, it wasn't a pleasant experience because of one particular participant.

It should have been pretty cut and dried without all the game playing by you know who.

Don't take it personally; he's just trying to make you think critically.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Don't take it personally; he's just trying to make you think critically.

I'm not here to be looked down upon because I don't know the real answer. I'm here to have information shared without it being a childish game. Is he this way with everyone? ... if so, I think he needs to change his attitude when trying to "help" someone out. Personally, I think he's here just to try and belittle people to try and make himself feel better.

The "critical" thinking part of this question is will it harm the cooling system or not? The answer is either yes or no, and why it's yes or no. I'm not a chemist, and I don't know the exact process involved with ozonated distilled water. I do know that ozone is not good for materials. Hence, the reason I'm here. People should participate in the discussion without being critical about if the OP researched it for days before coming here or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back