What HDEO oils do crab fishing boats use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG. Got to thinking about the crab fishing boats in Alaska and the like and wondered what HDEO oil those folks use in their Diesel engines. Anyone have friends that are crab fishermen in Alaska or real cold climates? M

My guess their engines are not shutshun very often. I would assume they use synthetic to avoid the need for oil changes at sea. And they are going to have large sumps, as in 10 or 20 gallons.

I'd be using T6.

I remember reading the Northwestern and Wizard have single big CATs. Cornelia has twin Cummins, they repowered with last year.
I would prefer twins out there.

The same stuff the diesel trucks use. They have anywhere from 20-80 gallon sumps. You never saw Edgar Hanson advertising Delo 400? It's on youtube.

It would depend on the sulfur level of the fuel and engine type.
Mobil MX 15w40, SHO 5w40 or CI-4 high saps and mono-grade SAE 30, 40 and 50 would cover most applications using marine fuel.
Engine oil up to 70 TBN that allow water washing are available for marine use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
My guess their engines are not shutshun very often. I would assume they use synthetic to avoid the need for oil changes at sea. And they are going to have large sumps, as in 10 or 20 gallons.

I'd be using T6.
Not very many commercial applications use syn engine oil except for Arctic starting temps there is little if no benefits.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Mobil MX 15w40, SHO 5w40 or CI-4 high saps and mono-grade SAE 30, 40 and 50 would cover most applications using marine fuel.

Most larger vessels have big marine engines that run on bunker fuel - these require a specific type of oil with really high TBN as noted above. Marine diesel oils are often rated by their TBN level. Approvals are handled by the big marine diesel engine manufacturers and usually require very expensive field trials.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly

Water washing?

I wonder if these marine diesel oils would be good to use in an OTR light duty truck with the high TBN.

No. The Ash content of the oils would be too high and soot loading too much for light duty engines.

Rural King is now selling the 5 gallon pails of Delvac 1 5W-40 ESP. I was reading the label, It says "Also recommended for marine engines." I thought that was interesting, because I thought marine engine oils are formulated differently, with additives designed for the conditions that marine engines go through.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Rural King is now selling the 5 gallon pails of Delvac 1 5W-40 ESP. I was reading the label, It says "Also recommended for marine engines." I thought that was interesting, because I thought marine engine oils are formulated differently, with additives designed for the conditions that marine engines go through.

The whole "marine" tagline is more of a marketing tool than anything, especially here in fresh water where I am. In our diesel marine engines I run Deere Plus 50 II as its "marine spec" also, but our engines are Deere, so they had better offer an oil for their own engines.

As far as the crab boats I don't thing any of them are running engines large enough for bunker oil as thats generally for the very large slow turning diesels. Of the episodes I've watched when they've been in the engine rooms they are regular diesel engines running diesel fuel as they're gensets require diesel also.

Originally Posted By: Solarent
No. The Ash content of the oils would be too high and soot loading too much for light duty engines.

Don't understand how the soot loading can be a feature of the oil. Surely its just a characteristic of the engine?

Unless you're planning to put used crab-boat oil in your truck?

(Euew!)

Last edited:
They probably run the cheapest bulk 15W-40 they can get to keep costs down.

Lots of other worries in that industry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back