SuperTech PS Fluid made my PS pump sound like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I had a small leak on my Olds power steering pump using about an ounce a month. Pump has been noisy for years. Over the winter I had one of those O'Reilly Christmas coupons, so I bought some of the Lucas power steering fluid with stop leak, and put the whole bottle in. Pump did quieten down lots, and it did slow the leak to almost nothing. My son had to drive my car the other day, and told me that the power steering was noisy, and told me to check the level. I had checked it the day before, so I knew it was fine. I was just accustomed to hearing the whine of the PS pump, so the noisy did not bother me as much.

Went down to Walmart, and I bought a quart of the SuperTech power steering fluid with stop leak. Swung by Harbor Freight, and bought one of those oil suction guns because I had a 25% off coupon, and a turkey baster is just too slow. Pulled out approximately 8 oz. of fluid from the reservoir, and then put in the SuperTech fluid. Wow, the pump sounds like a new one, and lots better than some rebuilt junk pumps I have bought previously.

All this got me thinking, so I read the back of the SuperTech bottle very carefully. It says it's recommended for top offs, but not recommended for a full change. I wonder what in the world is in the SuperTech to quieten down a pump that much? Never ever had fluid to quieten a pump down to the degree that the SuperTech did. I am impressed with the concoction.

SuperTech Power Steering Fluid with stop leak

i don't think there is anything special in the super tech fluid it's likely the same as other power steering fluids meeting the same specs. my guess is that the second flush cleaned out more contaminants allowing the new clean fluid to work better.

Last edited:
It could have some added friction modifiers that helped quiet it down.

Maxlife made my noisy Ford PS pump nearly silent after a couple drain and refills. Apparently Maxlife is heavy on the friction modifiers for anti-shudder, etc.

Not for a full change? Uhoh. I did a few flushes on the PS system in my Jeep with it. The noise stopped when I would be off roading with it ... but I'm guessing that's more because I put on a cooler.

Seems to work for me!

Yes it says not recommended for a full change which I find surprising. I am going to give it about a week, and siphon off the reservoir one more time, and refill the reservoir again with the SuperTech. Hoping it does not blow up! Pump did not blow up with the Lucas stuff, and it's like pouring thick molasses. On the other hand, I might just call it good, and leave it as is because the pump is so dang quite now.

Good to know and I'll top off with it. After using some Quaker State atf I noticed some residue under the reservoir which wasn't there before.

Without access to this product in my market, I would speculate this SuperTech power steering fluid with stop leak product possesses chemicals that provides shear-thickening properties to the blend.
A UOA/VOA might indicate an exceptionally high ppm of this chemicals.
blush.gif

I recently had a PS reservoir go completely empty, which is how I discovered there was a leak. It must have started fairly recently since I check it every so often, so it's not a tiny leak. Got some Supertech PS fluid with stop leak, expecting it would maybe just slow it down a little and I'd have to keep adding more until it worked if at all. Filled the reservoir with the ST. To my surprise, in the couple of hundred miles since then the level has not gone down at all. This is in extremely hot weather also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back