Snatch trap for boat tow rope

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy a bungee rope extension for my ski rope in order to take the jerkiness out of towing a tube down the lake. First, I found this product

https://www.amazon.com/Airhead-Bungee-Tu...bungee+tow+rope

After more reading, I came across a snatch strap
https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-CC120-...mittybilt+strap

The Airhead bungee rope extension has a 4100lb rating and the snatch strap has a 17,000lb rating. Due to the heavier rating, I feel like the snatch strap is more robust in its construction. However, since it is not marketed for marine applications, I'm curious how well it will tolerate water. Thoughts?

Marine tow ropes are made from polypropylene, so they float on the water and don't get stuck in the prop. What jerkiness are you talking about? I've never had any jerky problems, unless you take off with 10 feet of slack in the tow line. You aren't doing something right.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Marine tow ropes are made from polypropylene, so they float on the water and don't get stuck in the prop. What jerkiness are you talking about? I've never had any jerky problems, unless you take off with 10 feet of slack in the tow line. You aren't doing something right.

When I make "S" turns towing a tube, I build up slack in the line. I've broken equipment from not being aware how much slack was in the line and not slowing down.

Last edited:
The one with the 17000 pound rating is for yanking stuck trucks out of mud. It wont stretch with the load of just a tube. It is also likely not built of the proper materials for use in water.

Just buy the one designed for tubing.

These composite construction lines will not dry out easily once wet. They will mold and mildew if not kept dry properly.

As others have said, you need Poly line that floats or stays near the surface. If you are getting slack when towing, it's your course and throttle that are at issue...

Even towing other boats in larg'ish following seas, I have not had snatch/jerk issues. Just pay out more line and set a different throttle range.

Its your job to not to get much slack when your towing something uncontrollable like a tube. Get too wild and careless and it could end up in front of you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back