Which micro fiber cloths do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snoman002
See the "Rags" section regarding microfiber and scratching
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber

My whole detailing supplies are made from microfiber and I find them to be an excellent towel. I purchased mine from The Rag Company and they provide a quality product at an inexpensive price. Do they scratch, no. I have detailed my car to a level beyond brand new and I can say they do not scratch. There was about 60 hours put into detailing my paint, with my eyeball inches from the surface and a detailing light shining. There is no scratching or micromarring from the towels.

Like I said, I've been using MF towels on BLACK PAINT for years and they don't scratch. If they did, I would certainly see it on BLACK PAINT...I don't care what anyone says, these MF towels are not scratching anything, but I'm not going to argue with someone who seems to know more about what I'm seeing (or not seeing) than I do...

Originally Posted By: Exhaustgases
I never use terry, not on a cars paint anyway. Just cotton polishing cloths that are similar to what a tee shirt is like.

where do you buy them?

The Zaino US made borderless towels are the best Ive found/used.

Ive gotten some that look similar from the Rag company, and they aren't as good. Ditto for a few other types from Amazon.

The Costco gold colored MF towels are quite good, and useful in throw-away situations.

Pakshak waffle weave have been the best Ive found for drying.

It doesn't seem to matter which one I use I get "micro lint" which is really annoying. I'm not sure what the benefit is to microfiber, can someone explain it to me.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
It doesn't seem to matter which one I use I get "micro lint" which is really annoying. I'm not sure what the benefit is to microfiber, can someone explain it to me.

Don't wash them with other towels/laundry and you shouldn't have any lint problems. Wash in hot water, dry low to med heat.

Originally Posted By: harrydog
What do you recommend for drying? I have a couple different waffle weave microfiber towels that were fairly expensive ( I think I got them from Autogeek) and made specifically for drying and I don't think they work very well at all.

I think any large microfiber, weave or not. And the best method for drying is a blotting action. Not that the microfiber will scratch if used to rub dry but if there is anything at all on the paint or on the towel, you are going to scratch. I can dry with the blot method fairly quickly. Take a large mf towel and fold it in quarter. Plop it on the paint and then flip it over and over to nearby sections. Lift it up and do other areas. Unfold and re-fold to a dryer side.

As to a really nice/soft microfiber, I got some of these recently and they are the softest and plushest I have ever seen/touched:

http://www.blackfirewax.com/best-waterless-wash-towel.html#.V5ZKDlaANBc

They are intended for waterless wash which I think is why they have a relatively long nap. They are super soft so if someone was concerned that microfiber could really scratch, I would recommend these. Reasonable price too. My go to otherwise is :

http://www.blackfirewax.com/cobra-deluxe-jr-towel.html#.V5ZKhFaANBc

It seems having around 600g/cm^2 makes for an excellent mf towel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smoky14

Smoky

Sure, microfiber doesn't scratch...

I wash my microfibers separately and dry on low heat, but I still sometimes get a smear of tiny fibers left behind, especially on windows. I just follow it with the California Duster and they're gone.

I find that misting the car with Spray Wax or Spray Detailer during the drying process eliminates the 'drag' I sometimes get from my The Rag Company microfibers. They also stop leaving lint behind once they get a little damp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back