Oil choice for Hyundai Veloster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my name is Kyle and I have a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. I am looking for a good synthetic oil for my car. What do you guys recommend? I change every 5k and use the OEM filter.

Everyone is gonna tell you that 5k is nothing for synthetic and you should extend your OCI or use Pennzoil Yellow bottle. But with your engine, regardless of your driving habits, I would recommend going either with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30, or Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 5w30, and change either one at 5k with your OEM filter. And if anyone here says that your oil still has plenty of life after that in it and could go longer - offer to senD them that used oil to use in their cars. I'm sure majority will back off right away. 5k on a very good synthetic as Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus or Quaker State Ultimate Durability is the perfect point for an oil change on a GDI engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with the 2.0T engine. I recommend using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with a Hyundai OEM filter every 5K. PP 5W-30 meets all of the requirements that Hyundai requires for this engine. Also it can be had at a very low price with the current $2/quart rebate in place until the end of the year.

I would suggest using a 5W-30 or 5W-40 Full Synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Edge.

I have a 2011 Sonata SE Turbo 2.0T and I have been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and change the Filter and Oil at 5K. I have recently changed to Penngrade Select 5W-30 since I was able to get it in bulk. It seems to work very well.

Do not use 5W-20 in your Turbo even if the dealer recommends that for your car. Way to thin for a Direct Injection Turbo Engine.

5W-30 Or 5W-40 Full Synthetic and change at 5K and you should be fine.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck and enjoy your Veloster Turbo!

Originally Posted By: adamrc
I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with the 2.0T engine. I recommend using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with a Hyundai OEM filter every 5K. PP 5W-30 meets all of the requirements that Hyundai requires for this engine. Also it can be had at a very low price with the current $2/quart rebate in place until the end of the year.

Agreed. I did a bit of research when selecting the oil for the veloster turbo that I change oil on, and Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 meets Hyundai's requirements for warranty purposes, and is readily available. I've been changing that one at 4,000 miles. Been meaning to get a UOA, but I'm too cheap to pay for it. Hyundai recommends 3,000 miles for "severe" use, which is mostly normal conditions but severe to them, and 5,000 for normal. So I play it save and go 4,000.

Add me on the Pennzoil Platinum bandwagon. It's an excellent synthetic oil & the best on-the-shelf synthetic you can buy in my opinion.

I will be switching the F-150 & Fiesta to Platinum at their next oil changes.

A few first year VT's suffered from LSPI which has been partially associated to high Calcium additives in engine oil. As far as i know, this was resolved through subsequent factory re-tuning of the ECU. This could have turned into a disaster as Hyundai recommends Quaker State and have a contract with SOPUS to recommend their oils worldwide (SOPUS oils typically have a higher concentrations of calcium when compared to other mass market brands).

http://papers.sae.org/2014-32-0092/
https://www.oronite.com/products/lspi.asp

My vote goes to Valvoline Synpower or Mobil1 if for no other reason than peace of mind.

Nice car, i had a Veloster non-Turbo for a while.

Does your Hyundai spec SN? What does the owner's manual say? Sorry, I have the Lambda II 3.8 so the 2.0T are out of my immediate knowledge. I think the NA and the Turbos have different intervals but I don't know the req. I still come back thinking it is an SM requirement with a 5K "normal" and 3K for "severe" but that is likely because you can use conventional. I would not want to argue with Hyundai over Syn vs Conv and extended drains so meeting their minimum would be my goal. Modern conventional are so good, I see little reason for going Syn unless you wanted extended drains or you were required by warranty or weight specs (see 0w20).

My Hyundai specs SM in either 5w30 or 10w30 for warranty requirements. See where I am going?

I am leaning towards using a SM HDEO 10w30 (Shell or Delo) Synblend with a 5K interval. I will likely go 10w30 Conventional too.

I feel that a 5K with a premium Syn is wasteful and even the GDi engines are not THAT bad with fuel dilution in most cases to justify syn with short miles (aka 5K). Conventional with "normal" 5K would likely be fine. They also tend to have decent sized capacity for the displacement so I have little worry there. I have heard that the Turbos also have 5w40 listed as an acceptable oil but that might be international specs.

Along the same lines as FutureDoc, my Owner's Manual only specs SM/GF-4 (2.0T-GDi). I've mostly used Conventional oils since the OCI requirements are so low and we only reach 3k miles every 6 months or so anyway now.

For 5k, buy whatever syn is on sale + coupon/rebate. It will be cheaper than conventional, so why bother with non-syn?

For the same price, would you run Pennz conventional or PP? (after $10 rebate the PP may even be cheaper)

What is the difference between Pennzoil Platinum, and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum? I think Pennzoil is the route to go, but which?

Originally Posted By: Kyonic
What is the difference between Pennzoil Platinum, and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum? I think Pennzoil is the route to go, but which?

Its summed up here, but basically its "better"
http://bobistheoilguy.com/pennzoil-q-a/

"Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ with PurePlus Technology is formulated to contain additional cleansing technology and additional friction modifiers to maintain lower friction between moving parts."

With regular changes, I'd stick with the platinum, unless you can find ultra at a similar price.

I'd like to add a comment I've seen on a Hyundai forum about this engine as well. even though its a "little" turbo motor, its putting out some decent power. Power per Liter is 125hp. Thats more than quite a few performance cars. Couple that with the fact that most home done oil changes don't get out all of the old stuff due to the placement of the drain on the FRONT of the oil pan (I use a pump, gets about 3/4s of a quart out after drain), and its direct injected, you can see why Hyundai my suggest some "old school" mileage numbers of 3-5,000 miles. I have a sample of Pennzoil 5w30 Platinum from one with 4,000 miles on it, that I will send in for a UOA, but my bet is this motor did some work on it. And thats if you're not really pushing it.

Originally Posted By: Kyonic
More robust ad pack, more cleaning power, more everything pretty much. Kinda like Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

PPU or CEGB the best out there. Today I'm rocking CEGB-EP in the Rogue - see sig below. All Good so far
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

As a Veloster owner, I'm going to link you to this

On the off chance you haven't seen it

It's probably NSFW, but it's hilarious

https://youtu.be/lJUEyiqrowQ

Yes, Veloster is the 3-tiddy hooker from total recall. I love RCR. Incredibly intellectual at a crass/vulgar delivery. The PT Cruiser review recently had me clapping in my livingroom. Meanwhile, my Genny only go a brief mention at an autoshow... it is the "ehhh, ok, ehhh nice" car. Oh well...

Last edited:
I have narrowed it down to Mobil 1 5w-30 and Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. Not sure which just want to keep the warranty going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back