Semis: what has changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving I-70 between Dayton OH and Indy I have noticed a change in the semi traffic. It used to be that most the trucks were governed to about 65 MPH. I usually set my cruise right on 70 MPH, and in the past, I NEVER had a semi overtake me. Lately, I've been seeing more and more semis running over 70 MPH and passing me by. What has changed? Are carriers removing the goveners? Has the speed limit for trucks been raised? Why are they running faster now?

There are a few things at work. First, everything is electronic now so it's pretty easy to jump in with a computer and remove the speed limit. Second, low fuel prices after a period of high fuel prices makes the drivers feel like they are spending less on fuel and therefore are more likely to speed. Third, with electronic log books on the horizon a lot of carriers are paying closer attention to driver hours. So if you have to make the same route in less time you have to go faster. Finally, the number of owner operators have increased as carriers have worked to remove expensive assets from their balance sheets. Most owner operators just want to run as many miles as possible and will push hard without worry about getting in trouble from the carrier.

Easy one...fuel prices have gone down which is the biggest expense for a trucking company.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Third, with electronic log books on the horizon a lot of carriers are paying closer attention to driver hours.

GPS logging has been going on for at least a decade and longer. Drivers just have to fill out their own books, and make sure the fuel stops matches the GPS because fuel stop transactions are time and date stamped. When I retired from trucking 10 years ago, I think a few companies were already doing the electronic log books for pilot programs.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Third, with electronic log books on the horizon a lot of carriers are paying closer attention to driver hours.

GPS logging has been going on for at least a decade and longer. Drivers just have to fill out their own books, and make sure the fuel stops matches the GPS because fuel stop transactions are time and date stamped. When I retired from trucking 10 years ago, I think a few companies were already doing the electronic log books for pilot programs.

Sry, I meant government regulations with e logs. You are correct many carriers have been using them for a while but now that the gov't is getting their hands in it there is a renewed push.

You must be seeing owner operators. All the big companies still limit them around 65.

Ps... I had my 62 Pete up to 94mph! Middle of nowhere just to see. I guess the stories I heard about it always being the first truck back to the yard were true

If they make it mandatory for all trucking companies to do electronic logging, then I call it a win for drivers because then they will have to be paid fairly instead of this so called as the crow flies mileage pay that is rampant in the trucking industry.

Another thing.when trucks were 400+- hp axle ratios were 3.70-4.30 which limited top speed. Now with 500+hp common they are running 3.08,3.23 gearing since they have the power to pull with those ratios.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
If they make it mandatory for all trucking companies to do electronic logging, then I call it a win for drivers because then they will have to be paid fairly instead of this so called as the crow flies mileage pay that is rampant in the trucking industry.

It will be more time based versus mileage. The idea being that the log book is connected to the engine and will count when the truck is on and moving. The bigger firms are incorporating mileage tracking as well but it is not required to have that much detail. The main push is to avoid any hours of service violations that can occur pretty easily now with paper logs. Hopefully this will lead to safer roads for everyone.

Grampi has a thing for trucks. He really enjoys their presence on the road
smile.gif

The FMCSA rules are very against truck drivers' well being. It doesn't operate on a 24 hour schedule.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
smile.gif

The FMCSA rules are very against truck drivers' well being. It doesn't operate on a 24 hour schedule.

If you spent as much time driving POVs on the highways as I do, you wouldn't like them either...

I average about an hour 45 on the road, every day. Trucks rarely give me grief. Probably a regional thing.

Originally Posted By: grampi
smile.gif

If you spent as much time driving POVs on the highways as I do, you wouldn't like them either...

I used to and never had a problem. They have just as much of a right (or more) to the highway than you. Remember, they pay significantly more tax than you do. Seems to me that you would have a problem with them going too slow if they were going the speed limit.

What is your solution? We don't have enough rail lines to ship everything.

The only ones I really had a lot of problems with were school bus drivers.

"If you spent as much time driving POVs on the highways as I do, you wouldn't like them either..."

As I have said before, Grampi has a huge Jones for trucks and truck drivers. This is just his bi monthly negative post on the subject. Same old same old.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure many semi trucks go faster than 65 in my area, they pretty much have to. I always pass them to avoid a broken windshield.

Originally Posted By: grampi
smile.gif

I used to and never had a problem. They have just as much of a right (or more) to the highway than you. Remember, they pay significantly more tax than you do. Seems to me that you would have a problem with them going too slow if they were going the speed limit.

What is your solution? We don't have enough rail lines to ship everything.

The only ones I really had a lot of problems with were school bus drivers.

They SHOULD pay far more in taxes, they do far more damage to the roads than do POVs...my solution is to expand our nation's railways so they can handle more shipments...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
"If you spent as much time driving POVs on the highways as I do, you wouldn't like them either..."

As I have said before, Grampi has a huge Jones for trucks and truck drivers. This is just his bi monthly negative post on the subject. Same old same old.

And your point is? If you don't like these threads, don't read them. No one is forcing you to do so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back