2016 Volkswagen Tiguan Oil filter - Weird Design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one have experience with these VW oil filters? They seem very weird. My dad is kinda looking at new VWs so I looked up to see if they were using the common VW oil filter but guess not.

Last edited:
Looks like a standard spin on filter with a reverse thread.

Wonder why they didnt keep with the cartridge filter...

Both cars in my signature use that design. VW/Audi has been using it on the CC years prior to 2014. They are typical over engineered German and they don't leak a drop when removing them.
They are mounted on top of the engine. They are large and sized for the long OCI's typical of German vehicles. The OEM German Mann ones have a lower list price at VW dealer than
the STP filter at AutoZone. The 2016 TSI 2.0 engine has long had all it's bugs worked out and is reliable.

I saw that flter when I did the first OC on my brothers car. I pulled the new one out of the box to have a quick look and instantly decided it was wrong, so got one of my older, 'standard' type VW filters off the shelf, prefix led it and lubed the gasket.
Fast forward 10-15minutes and the oil has drained so I spin off the old filter and kick myself when I realised I wasted a perfectly good German Mann on a car it wouldn't even fit! A quick google told me this is the new style, and I thought
'ah, you learn something every day'

Yep, odd looking compared to the vast majority of spin on applications where the mounting stud is on the engine block. But, VW uses this design for some applications.

In the past, Fram used the OEM filter in a Fram box because it was such a low sales volume application. Thinking now though, they have brought it in house.

for the US, it's the 2.0t filter since 2008.5, when VW introduced the CCTA/CBFA engines to US/Canadian market.

May want to consider paying up front, the maintenance through the powertrain warranty.

the 40,000 mile interval is an expensive one (which can cost as much as the prepaid maintenance itself)

Last edited:
Does he need the "lift" of a Tiguan?

The Golf Sportwagen has MORE cargo space (Tig: 23.8 ft³, 56.1 ft³ with seat area VS GSW: 30.4 ft³, 66.5 ft³ with seat area), handles better, better mpg, and cheaper. Look into a Sportwagen limited edition, if he wants an auto. Well optioned, and can be had for $22k or less, depending on market. Or the TSI S can be had for under $19k.
Also no expensive 40k mile DSG service.

the 1.8T uses a "standard" cartridge
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar

The Golf Sportwagen has MORE cargo space (Tig: 23.8 ft³, 56.1 ft³ with seat area VS GSW: 30.4 ft³, 66.5 ft³ with seat area), handles better, better mpg, and cheaper. Look into a Sportwagen limited edition, if he wants an auto. Well optioned, and can be had for $22k or less, depending on market. Or the TSI S can be had for under $19k.
Also no expensive 40k mile DSG service.

the 1.8T uses a "standard" cartridge
wink.gif

There's also AWD that the Tiguan has, that the Golf Sportwagen does not have.

(until 2017)

Last edited:
Stupid special design for no reason. Get a cheap knockoff filter and tell VW to shove it.

Here's a Fram Ultra for $16.99 grab it while you can! Because these normally go for $30! Good to 15k though
smile.gif

This is my one exception to the one filter one OCI rule since the filters are so expensive and can be difficult to find. With this [censored], I'd run to 20k, 2-3 intervals. DO NOT let VW get away with it!

Some AAP/CQ stores carry the M1-404, for $16.99 (and even included with the M1 specials when it's on sale!), which would make it your best bet.

A couple CQ Reds are on Rock Auto clearance,too.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The OEM German Mann ones have a lower list price at VW dealer than
the STP filter at AutoZone.

I bet this is because of some IP that Mann owns. Mann is likely selling the part to STP, or licensing someone to make it under the STP brand. Cha-ching!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Stupid special design for no reason. Get a cheap knockoff filter and tell VW to shove it.

Here's a Fram Ultra for $16.99 grab it while you can! Because these normally go for $30! Good to 15k though
smile.gif

This is my one exception to the one filter one OCI rule since the filters are so expensive and can be difficult to find. With this [censored], I'd run to 20k, 2-3 intervals. DO NOT let VW get away with it!

Some AAP/CQ stores carry the M1-404, for $16.99 (and even included with the M1 specials when it's on sale!), which would make it your best bet.

A couple CQ Reds are on Rock Auto clearance,too.

Why buy a cheap knockoff when the oem Mann filter is available for $12.59 on Amazon prime?

Originally Posted By: surfstar

Yeah hes kinda having a hard time getting into lower cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I guess they are new to me.

This filter design is a first for me as well. I do like the location on the Tiguan. Easiest filter change ever!

Both cars in my signature use that design. VW/Audi has been using it on the CC years prior to 2014. They are typical over engineered German and they don't leak a drop when removing them.
They are mounted on top of the engine. They are large and sized for the long OCI's typical of German vehicles. The OEM German Mann ones have a lower list price at VW dealer than
the STP filter at AutoZone. The 2016 TSI 2.0 engine has long had all it's bugs worked out and is reliable.

My experience is the same, easy to get to, not a drop spilled.

I use to pick up these filters for under $12.00 when I had my 2010 GTI. That was for 719/45 OEM Mann also. Super easy to do an oil change on the 2.0T. VW went back to the cartridge filter on the Gen III 2.0T.

Originally Posted By: DudeNiceRide
The OEM German Mann ones have a lower list price at VW dealer than
the STP filter at AutoZone.

I bet this is because of some IP that Mann owns. Mann is likely selling the part to STP, or licensing someone to make it under the STP brand. Cha-ching!

That is what happened when I used a NAPA filter in that application.

What was really weird was that the filter was black and white, made in Germany, and had NAPA written on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back