Does BG 44K work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,
I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent and it has slowly required higher and higher octane to avoid engine ping. I've resorted to some extreme measures. Drilled holes in the intake runners and ran (a lot of) water through each individual cylinder... Sprayed CRC GDI intake valve cleaner directly onto the back of the valves and into the combustion chamber while the coil was unplugged so as to saturate the piston crown and combustion chamber.
I still have ping.
Last summer the CRC treatment seemed to be a godsend. Ping stopped and MPG increased 5 mpg. BUT THE PING HAS RETURNED in the summer heat this year. At first the CRC GDI IVC seemed to help and I noticed a few MPG increase (I would assume since there was less ping, then the knock sensor wasn't telling the computer to retard the timing, therefore increasing the power and efficiency.) But now the car has 138,000 miles and apparently the carbon is just too much to deal with. ...to clarify, I CRC'd it last summer and again this summer. I drilled tiny holes in each runner so I could spray the CRC cleaner directly onto the valves and into the combustion chambers while the engine is running with a brick on the accelerator to bring it up to 3500 rpm. I unplugged the coil on each cylinder that was being treated to keep the cleaner from burning.
...MY QUESTION is... Does anyone know if BG 44K can actually remove seriously carboned combustion chambers?
Obi Wan, you're my only hope...

Last edited:
If it were my vehicle and I was having that problem I would go to Pep-Boys and get a bottle of Redline SL-1 and dump the entire bottle in a tank of gas of about 15 gallons. Then run that until the tank is real low. Then get a 100mL graduated cylinder from McMaster-Carr (online), and another bottle of SL-1 and put about 4.5 mL of Redline SL-1 per gallon in the tank just before each fill-up.

Redline SL-1 is some pretty good stuff.

Just before I started using Redline SL-1 I talked to someone at Redline and they said to use an entire bottle in one tank of gas when starting to use it, and after that 4.5 mL per gallon.

I noticed about 2 MPG improvement with Redline SL-1, which is a little more than paying for the cost of using it.

GDI engine? Do the Italian tuneup VW documented years back. Cant remember the details, something like 4000 or 4500+ RPM's for 30 minutes.
My wife and I have done it to our cars and they seem to perform a tad better the day after the procedure. Doing this type of tuneup gives a rare opportunity
that adding STP oil treatment to thicken the oil might be a good move if you have XW20 in the engine. Then change the oil & filter after the Need For Speed event.

Originally Posted By: montero1
I'm sure it does, but there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well.

and you are going to list them or ??????????
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: j_mac
I unplugged the coil on each cylinder that was being treated to keep the cleaner from burning.

Dunno about that stuff, but with water, the engine needs to be running. The carbon is burned.

If I understand you correctly, drilling holes in your intake manifold seems a bit extreme/unnecessary.

Seems like you've bypassed the air cleaner and possibly flow sensors. How did you plug the holes afterwards?

Water has worked well for me. You could perhaps rig up some continuous drip fed/pumped/vacuum aspirated delivery system to give it more time to work while driving normally.

Other improvised fixes (which I havn't tried) include:

Brake fluid dripped onto the piston crown via plug hole (probably best with vertical cylinder orientation).

A (or a few?) grains of rice down the plug hole.

NOTE: This assumes CYLINDER coking. Carbon on the back of the intake valves is more difficult, but probably less likely to cause knocking.

Last edited:
I'd be checking out that pcv system and try a piston soak overnight. Using water you need to get that engine real hot.. like long drive hot then mist in the water slightly above idle. Go till it the exhaust doesn't have that burned fireworks smell.

Not for this scenario... MMO won't help a bit.

Pull the cylinder head and clean the intakes and combustion chamber ...

Sell the car and go buy a nice used one from before GDI ...

Originally Posted By: deven
BG44K has the highest amount of PEA out of all fuel injector cleaners. I'd use it without a second thought.

What percentage of PEA does it contain?

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr

confused.gif

Regane, Amsoil, Redline, Chevron, Berrymans, Seafoam to name a few.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr

confused.gif

Regane, Amsoil, Redline, Chevron, Berrymans, Seafoam to name a few.

Can't AFAIK get any of those here (cept maybe Amsoil, though the local importer doesn't do the full range) but I'm pretty confident that they are all more expensive than water, rice grains, or brake fluid.

But is BG 44K actually able to dissolve and break away a hard crust of carbon in the combustion chambers by running a couple of cans with a couple tanks of gas? or is this like the Techron snake oil.

BG44k is great and cleans very well ($20 at dealer) but for a gdi it won't clean valves. the pinging is likely due to egr passages being plugged. I used to clean them out on my accord (3-4 times over the time I had it which was 500k miles). not sure how the Hyundai is set up (haven't done wife sonata yet) but you should look into where and how to get to the egr passages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back