Fixing Tractors a no-no, Are cars next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop buying equipment from them.

And I'm sure cars are next.

Last edited:
If the manufacturers have more money to buy politicians than the farmers then these kind of laws will prevail and even become more pervasive. These politicians don't serve the people as their oath of office might suggest. They serve the highest bidder for their services. It's too bad because farmers and ranchers are great at fixing things and keeping equipment working along with the help of independent repair services. Because our politicians are so corrupt we as consumers end up paying more for goods and services.

If GM actually started enforcing the no modification [censored] they're making up, as much as I hate Ford I'd probably become a Ford fan.

They are doing it for the good of the farmers. They don't want him accidentaly ordering the wrong part, or heaven forbid try to install the correct part.
Is their really that big of a demand to pirate the JD software? Luckily car makers are required to have OBD II ports and we as consumers have the ability to read the data from those ports. Imaging having a check engine light come on, having to go to the dealer, pay $80+ for a code read to be told your gas cap is not on tight enough. Oh wait, that already happened to my sister! I gave her my $15 code reader and showed her how to use it in the future, and to call me if the light comes on again.

What kind of software are we talking about?

The photo they used is misleading. Looks much too old to have software.

I wonder if Case IH has this same sort of issue?

Originally Posted By: horse123
If GM actually started enforcing the no modification [censored] they're making up, as much as I hate Ford I'd probably become a Ford fan.

Um, they kinda do. Ford does as well. If your engine blows up while you're running a tune, you're SOL.

The only difference is that no one is bothering to reverse engineer / crack the software that runs a tractor, so the farmers are left scratching their heads.

Explicitly legal as of last year, at least for cars. No idea about the application to tractors, or if it's just that nobody has bothered to reverse engineer the software yet.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/10/vi...tions-fair-uses

Quote:
The Librarian recognized the need for vehicle owners to circumvent access restrictions in order to repair, modify, and tinker. The exemption removes the uncertainty of whether 1201 liability would attach to a range of activities that have been clearly lawful throughout most of the hundred-year history of automotive tinkering, but were called into question as an unintended consequence of copyright law. We are also pleased by the exemption for security research, which covers vehicles and many other devices. The Librarian included unnecessary limits and delays in the exemptions, but overall the ruling represent a victory for the public that will help independent security researchers evaluate automotive software, will promote competition in the vehicle aftermarket, and will support vehicle owners who wish to learn about or improve on their own cars.

EDIT: My wife paid $30 to a shop to read her CEL and tell her the gas cap was loose. I bought a $13 bluetooth adapter right after and now I read them on my phone, along with a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited:
"Right to repair" has been a big deal for a while now.

It's actually been running rampant in the watch industry for a while. 15 years ago, pretty much anyone who could show an accredited watchmaking education and a "clean" workspace could get a Rolex parts account-now it's virtually impossible to get one, and they've managed to bump out a lot of people who were previously grandfathered. The Swatch group is getting terrible about parts availability. ETA movements have been the bread and butter of the industry for years now, and the Swatch group has basically killed uncased movement sales along with severely restricting parts. For certain Swatch brands(particularly Omega) if you need parts you're out of luck.

Not only that, but Rolex has gotten really bad in what they consider a "fake." The Datejust I'm wearing has an aftermarket minute hand(see parts availability above). Despite the fact that every single other part on the watch is genuine Rolex, they would refuse a repair due to the minute hand. Not that I'd ever send directly to them, but they've locked me into going to an independent who still has a parts account(fortunately I know a good one).

Congress is working on retooling the DMCA, and OEMs will likely have to open up some info to make repairs by third parties less of a hassle. I am in electronics, and it can be a PITA to find repair information. The poor people working on Apple products have it the worst.

OP, what were you doing when the Congress was passing DMCA. Did you write your lawmakers to tell them what you thought of it?

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
OP, what were you doing when the Congress was passing DMCA. Did you write your lawmakers to tell them what you thought of it?

Better yet, what are you doing with the TPP and TTIP -- have you checked with your lawmaker to make sure that they oppose them?

Better yet, what are you doing with the TPP and TTIP -- have you checked with your lawmaker to make sure that they oppose them?

What's the point? I don't have the money to change their minds if they don't.

Don't farmers already have it hard enough without having to drag their machines into a service center and pay out the nose to have someone read a computer screen?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: horse123

Um, they kinda do. Ford does as well. If your engine blows up while you're running a tune, you're SOL.

The only difference is that no one is bothering to reverse engineer / crack the software that runs a tractor, so the farmers are left scratching their heads.

That's completely different. A tune can easily cause engine destruction...

They're talking about taking people to court who modify their owned and paid for merchandise.

The article is B/S, You can buy dealer level diagnostic equipment for Deere AG Equipment, It's not cheap, And most Farmers will have no idea how to use it.

If you don't want to take your equipment to a Dealer.....Then DON'T, Buy a Laptop, And the Software, Interface, & Cable for your specific need & have Code Reading, Bi-Directional Controls, Live Data, Joystick, & GPS Diagnostics.

What in the world does that have too do with software that Retrieves, Edits, Writes & Rewrites Calibrations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back