2001 Camry LE V6 - Synthetic ATF Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hve a 2001 Camry w/132k miles and was looking for Synthetic ATF alternatives to the OEM Dexron 3. The trans is working well with no leaks and has had regular flushes/fluid exchanges. I wanted to know my options as far as brands are concerned. I don't want a product which has conditioners in it. Tnx in advance for any guidance you guys can give me.

James

With each company in competition for Dex VI and paying for those certs- you might have to take a company recommendation for older vintage Dex ATF.
For example, Mobil 1 ATF does that - long list of what xom says it is equal too. (Yours on list)

I have been using Valvoline MaxLife Full Syn ATF in my 99 with zero issues, albeit my trans is different. I would definately stop the trans flushes due to mileage though. I wish my car had that low of mileage. The only bad part on that year and model car is the engine, which just needs a caring owner. Synthetic oil changes and new PCV valves are your best bet with the 1MZ. From what I understand, the transmissions are solid. Yours seems to be well taken care of. You have a great car for carefree mileage.

Amsoil ATF is great stuff, I have changed it at 70k and it still came out like the day it went in with almost nothing in the pan to speak of, I am sold on this stuff from long years of experience with it in many vehicles. PM member pablo for a good deal.

Had an '02 and used the D4 for about 160k with no issues.
The reference about the engine and needing synth oil and frequent pcv changes - spot on.
Welcome to Bitog!

Ran across a guy (owned a mechanic shop) who pulled a huge offshore boat - cooked a trans on other
Dex (dark nasty fluid) even with a large cooler.
Then switched to Mobil 1 ATF and never looked back. His truck pre circa Dex VI
(Think the M1 ATF is thicker)

I use Valvoline MaxLife ATF in my Camry, although I might just use Supertech next when I change the filter, it's a beater.

I just wanted to take the time to say Tnx a Lot for all of the input you guys provided. I got the Camr from my Uncle who died a year after he bought it. It had 12k when I got it. I had been driving my 1995 Corolla DX w/560k miles until I got T-boned by a hit and run "farm worker" in a Ford pick up. Up until that time,the Camry was under a car cover. The Rolla has been repaired and will be going back into service shortly. I have been using Syn Oil in both cars since day one. I did change the PCV valve for PM on the Camry. Oh What a Feeling,Toyota !!!

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back