Making tacos at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Ortega seasoning mix more than the others. I add salsa along with a little lettuce, cheese, tomato, and Tapatio Hot Sauce. I like shredded beef as well as burger tacos.

Many years ago I was a commercial cooking equipment service man. I went into taco bell and saw them prepping and two things others have already said fits with what I saw. They put large amounts of ground beef into a large cooker and used what looked like a stainless canoe paddle to stir, mix and chop the burger down. Also they simmered it for a long time which evaporated the moisture and leaving the caramelized flavors behind. I also like the McCormick taco mix at Costco.

I like them, but I use the shells that need refrigerated. I guess these would be burritos though?

Either ground lean beef/ turkey or Kroger's flat iron steaks cut in strips and sauteed with onions and green peppers seasoned with a home brew.

Top it off with some Tecate.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
I've never had a Taco. Have I missed anything ?

How is that even possible? Seriously flabbergasting strange to me. I've had a taco or burrito every week of my life since I was 5 years old.

We have taco night once a week. 52 weeks a year.

Brown and season meat drain off fat place back in pan drizzle with VOO not EVOO till just wet re season and simmer it at low it will get fine works every time . I would also start with a 80/20 fat is your friend.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
I thought it had been established that Taco Bell didn't use real meat?
grin.gif

Add sand, baby, sand!
banana2.gif

It's not sand, it's saltpeter...

Here is a good way...
First, peel, then dice a medium white onion. Put in pan with a tablespoon or two of oil. Cook on medium high until brown. Onion is now caramelized. Remove onion from pan. Take ground beef loaf, slice into 1/4 inch sections, add to greasy onion pan. Add 1-3 tablespoons water (less fat in meat, more water) put a tight lid on. Cook on MEDIUM LOW for 7 minutes, shaking every minute or two. Add taco mix (I use Mrs Dash no salt, high blood pressure) and 1 teaspoon Mrs Dash Spicy, more if you like hot, onions, and whatever else, and 1/4 cup water. Cook 2-3 minutes, medium low. Adjust water and heat (spice) to taste.

Major mistake made is frying the beef, this way steams it.
Also breaking the beef up into small enough chunks....

Last edited:
So funny thing, I found out how to make the taco beef taste exactly like restaurant style.

Slow cooker.

That's it. 1LB of 80/20 ground beef and a package of spices. Let it cook on high for 2 hours or low for 6 hours. Break up the meat into fine bits. Comes out tasting great!

I've never made tacos at home and longed for them to taste like Taco Bell with their stale cold shells, tiny bit of meat, snow shovel of lettuce, couple slivers of cheese and finished off with couple pieces of tasteless tomato. I much prefer the larger chunks of hamburger that haven't been ground into oblivion and cooked to death. I have plenty of TB experience. I use to eat their several times a week. Once you stop eating out and cooking more at home you realize most restaurants aren't very good.

The same goes with the processed boxed/frozen stuff in the grocery store. That stuff is an acquired taste. It's not good unless you're use to eating it.

Want an authentic Mexican taco and not the Americanized version? Go find a Mexican taco truck in the city. They don't use those silly crunchy, hard shells. They also are made with all kinds of different meat...your choice. Done on a hot grill.

Far better than Taco Bell or anything like like. You can learn to make them at home that way but it might take a while to achieve the same results.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Want an authentic Mexican taco and not the Americanized version? Go find a Mexican taco truck in the city.

And if you want a slight "change of scenery," once in a while, find a Korean taco truck. They're quite tasty, too.

1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound hot sausage
1 onion chopped fine

fry the above list until all moisture is gone

add water and taco seasoning and 1 can of black beans with juice
cover and simmer for an hour on LOW (stir often)
use a hand mixer and blend until the beans turn to paste and mix with the meat
YUM! - best taco meat ever!

Had some great chicken tacos at work. Someone made them for a pot luck. The spice on them made the chicken look orange or like buffalo chicken. But it worked great for the two tacos I had when you add on all the toppings. MMMM good.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Want an authentic Mexican taco and not the Americanized version? Go find a Mexican taco truck in the city.

And if you want a slight "change of scenery," once in a while, find a Korean taco truck. They're quite tasty, too.

Sounds interesting....I'll need to see if I can find one..thanks.

Want an authentic Mexican taco and not the Americanized version? Go find a Mexican taco truck in the city. They don't use those silly crunchy, hard shells. They also are made with all kinds of different meat...your choice. Done on a hot grill.

Far better than Taco Bell or anything like like. You can learn to make them at home that way but it might take a while to achieve the same results.

Yes, cecina beef with onions and cilantro is excellent.

Best tacos hands down are what my sister makes and she's as white as rice. Fry up some 80/20 ground beef with diced onion, garlic and potatoes, salt and pepper. Soften corn tortillas in hot Crisco shortening for about 10-15 seconds, let cool. Fill with meat/potatoes and pin together with 2 toothpicks. Fry in Crisco again for 1-2 minutes then let drain on paper towels. The key is the shortening, I've used vegetable oil and they're not the same. She also makes these using a roast beef cubed up and minced in a blender, yes a blender and they're fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back