Noob question about chain maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

So I just got done cleaning my chain after about 500 miles of riding. I sprayed some WD-40 on a rag and wiped it clean. Unfortunately there was a phantom rain shower that didn't even pop up on the weather radar so I had to put the bike back in the garage.

Now that the chain is clean I need to lube it up. I've read that you should take your bike for a like a short 15 minute ride to get the chain warm then to spray on the lube. I have the Dupont Teflon Chain Saver lube but I was wondering am I ok just lubing it up with the chain cold tomorrow?

I don't know how I feel riding on the chain all clean without the lube on to get it warm then to lube it. Is this what I'm supposed to do or am I fine lubing it cold? It is a wax-based lube so I imagine it would be fine without running it to get the chain warm.

Thanks again!

Best to do it when the chain is warm and you're about to put the bike away, but that's mainly to prevent fling. Won't hurt anything if you do it cold, probably just cause a few extra spots on the back wheel. Remember though, cleaning the chain with WD40 didn't get rid of all the lube, the o-rings hold that in. My humble opinion, after 25 years of riding, is that people get all wound up over chain maintenance, when it's really not that big of a deal. Check the tension, lube regularly, give the side plates an occasional clean, and that's about it really. Ride more, stress less!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hpb
Best to do it when the chain is warm and you're about to put the bike away, but that's mainly to prevent fling. Won't hurt anything if you do it cold, probably just cause a few extra spots on the back wheel. Remember though, cleaning the chain with WD40 didn't get rid of all the lube, the o-rings hold that in. My humble opinion, after 25 years of riding, is that people get all wound up over chain maintenance, when it's really not that big of a deal. Check the tension, lube regularly, give the side plates an occasional clean, and that's about it really. Ride more, stress less!
smile.gif

Thanks for that. Yeah I can see fling being a problem when the chain isn't warm. I only plan on putting a light film over them, I shouldn't have any drip on the ground if I do it correctly and wipe off the areas that might have a little too much.

Thanks again!

I don't get tore up about chain maintenance either. I adjust it as often as needed and I really don't clean them often. I usually just apply more lube every 3-500 miles. My last bikes chain was in perfect shape using this method. The only time the chain will get a complete kerosene bath cleaning and lube is when the back wheel is off to change the tire. Otherwise I just adjust and add lubes.

Last edited:
I use a Scottoiler and top up the reservoir every now and then. Maybe once a year I'll give the chain a clean. I can't remember the last time I had to adjust the chain and it has been years since it was last replaced. Chain and sprockets are all in good shape.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
And I would not use WD40 on an o-ring chain...

It is okay if you don't let it soak in the stuff, and even when soaking it in the stuff the experiences of people are mixed. Some have gotten crazy life out of their chain ONLY using it. It may be in part to differing quality of certain chains as well as O ring vs X ring.

I understand that some worry about it getting past the O ring and diluting the internal lube. However, with how cheap diesel or kerosene is in comparison, why even bother with the WD40?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Chain maintenance is a pain the [censored].

I think we got spoiled by the reliability of modern bikes. Chains are the last thing we really have to keep a good eye on with bikes that use it.

I use gear oil every two to three tankfuls. I just brush on a thin coat on top of the old one, no cleaning required. If I feel the need to see a shiny chain, I simple wipe with a rag is all that is required.
I used to use WD40 to clean the chain before I put on a new coat of gear oil and found out that it would sling and stain the back wheel much more than just a fresh coat of oil. Plus WD40 wasn't really aiding in cleaning anyways because, as I found out, gear oil simply wipes off with a dry rag, unlike various chain specific lubes that require a solvent to remove.

Last edited:
I clean a o ring chain with a tooth brush and kerosene, and dry it with a rag, let it sit while I go have a tall glass of sweet ice tea and watch a show on Netflix then apply chain wax. It doesn't sling all over your rims like oil. For a non o ring chain I clean with kerosene and a wire brush then dry with a rag and apply chainsaw bar oil, it's super tacky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back