Cars with the best starter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any GM small block TBI engine 1988-1994. Also almost any car from the TV series Street Outlaws. Anybody know what starters these cars use?

Toyotas with Denso starters
Newer Ford and GM V8s with PMGR(Mitsubishi/Delphi/Visteon) starters
Any diesel engine with a Mitsubishi starter or a air starter - I miss the sound of a 6V-92 being spun to life with an air starter.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: JTK
An old Dodge sland-six. Any older Chrysler for that matter.
^^^ this. I doubt there has ever been more distinctive sound than one of these engines cranking. Well...other than maybe the 1968-69 Pontiac 4.1L OHC straight sixes.

+1000

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: JTK
An old Dodge sland-six. Any older Chrysler for that matter.
^^^ this. I doubt there has ever been more distinctive sound than one of these engines cranking. Well...other than maybe the 1968-69 Pontiac 4.1L OHC straight sixes.

+1000

I was really confused when I looked closely at one of those.
I was ... surprised .... that it had a belt.

Any old Chrysler product. At the drive in theater back in the day, there was no mistaking them when they were started.

Going to nominate two

- Late model Toyota's - haven't had a chance to listen around lately but I still remember the distinct Toyota starter sound when I had my old Toyota pickup and my other half had a '01 Celica and spent some time in the service bays. This was around the time the 97-2001 Camry was still the current model, seemed like every Toyota during that time period had the same starter as you could never tell what car it was until the engine started running.

- Mid-late 90's Chrysler V6. They all had that clean high pitch whine and it just sounded so precise. Unfortunately the cars built around the starters were not particularly precise and were almost utter junk.

Originally Posted By: pezzy669
Going to nominate two

- Late model Toyota's - haven't had a chance to listen around lately but I still remember the distinct Toyota starter sound when I had my old Toyota pickup and my other half had a '01 Celica and spent some time in the service bays. This was around the time the 97-2001 Camry was still the current model, seemed like every Toyota during that time period had the same starter as you could never tell what car it was until the engine started running.

- Mid-late 90's Chrysler V6. They all had that clean high pitch whine and it just sounded so precise. Unfortunately the cars built around the starters were not particularly precise and were almost utter junk.
I know that sound lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back