Conventional oil instead of synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that's the car "needs" a synthetic oil,it's that cafe is requiring 0W20 to be spec'd to meet fuel mileage and 0W20 oils are marketed as "synthetics" which are actually a synthetic blend unless you buy some uber expensive exotic oil.

It'll probably be fine just shorten the reccomended OCI a little until you've used it all up from the on M1 0w20
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser
It's interesting a regular car like that needs synthetic. Does it have a turbo?

Ha! My turbocharged Hyundai doesn't even require something more exotic than SM/GF-4. I'm sure your Toyota will be fine with 5w20. Especially if out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
If you wanted to double the protection over 5w20 use 10w40
smile.gif

I would, without hesitation, semi-synthetic 10W-40 SN and A3/B4, we put it in everything in Oz.
Castrol Magnatec, Valvoline DuraBlend, Shell Helix HX7, all good stuff in 10W-40

300012229.jpg

OP, not telling you to do it, just saying I would.
However I'm sure you will be fine on that mineral 5W-20 at 5K miles.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: mclasser
It's interesting a regular car like that needs synthetic. Does it have a turbo?

Ha! My turbocharged Hyundai doesn't even require something more exotic than SM/GF-4. I'm sure your Toyota will be fine with 5w20. Especially if out of warranty.

My parents' Escape requires some sort of Ford spec'd oil which a lot of conventionals meet.

The little guy will be fine on a 5W-20 dino, so if that's what you have on hand, use it up on short drains.
After that, there are plenty of deals available for the grade Mazda is telling you the car needs.
The engine isn't going to care either way and you'll see no difference in either fuel consumption or ease of starting unless you live somewhere in this "usa" where a 0W qualified oil is really required, in which case you should be using a block heater in winter anyway.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
He said because he has it on hand ...

I'd do it and change at 5,000 with a good filter
smile.gif

I'd do the same.

My daily driver, Hyundai, says they recommend Quaker State 5w-20. So I been running PYB 5w-30, 5k OCI

I also have a Mazda2 - in other markets it is specified to run 5w20, 5w30, and even 10w40.

You'll be just fine. FWIW I run 0W20 PP or Castrol Edge and autocross it heavily, 0w20 has shown no issues.

Also 5w20 vs 0w20 should be pretty close in viscosity at "normal" temperature(not way below freezing) and difference will be minimal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back