Clutch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just lost all gears on my FIAT Stilo diesel. Car have 180k, first owner, lot of city driving last few years. Just lost gears out of the sudden, no noise from pressure plate or bearing. Master and slave cylinders look dry. I suspect pressure plate. DMF sounds fine, still expect 600€ bill, over 1k if DMF is gone.

Friend owes independent shop (good one), tomorrow will pull the gearbox -hope it is not the gearbox (Getrag unit IIRC), and see what we are heading to.

It continues..

If the hydraulics fail, the clutch will not release when you press the pedal, so you can't shift into any gear with the engine running.

If it can shift into gears but the car does not move, that is a different problem. Put it into 2 or 3 gear and try to move-- watch if the speedometer goes up. If it does show a speed on the speedometer, the clutch and transmission are OK but likely a CV axle has broken.

Last edited:
I can choose gears when the car is shut, and it drive fine in a gear engaged before starting the car. Clutch doesn't disengage completely, when I start the car in gear with depressed clutch it still tries to move a bit.

mk378 is right on the mark with this.

The clutch requires fluid to work, just like brakes. If it's dry, it will do just what you've described.

Your friend should be looking at the clutch master/slave cylinders first.

X3 on checking the hydraulics first. Although if the slave cylinder is inside the bellhousing, it could have knackered the clutch. Either way, the transmission would have to come out for the fix.

As others have said it sounds like a failed master or slave cyl, the slave is mounted external with 2 bolts, its easy and cost about 100 euro.

Originally Posted By: Trav
As others have said it sounds like a failed master or slave cyl, the slave is mounted external with 2 bolts, its easy and cost about 100 euro.

Unfortunately not. Car have concentric slave cylinder, and it failed. I've replaced complete clutch with Valeo kit, it could drive more (pressure plate and disc) but at 170k the disc was worn. I'm looking at 500€ with oil, filters and labour.

That sucks! For some reason they are showing the concentric slave cylinder for the 1.9D multi but the 2 bolt for both gas and diesel. Catalog errors I guess.

Yes, I believe older JTDs have external slave cylinder, I think my 156 had one. Later cars seems to switches to these CSC POS. If it was older type clutch could easily do another 50k after changing slave cylinder. Progress right,

Parts and labour were 450€, labour being mostly pro bono.

Parts included:

Valeo clutch kit
Valeo CSC
Oil filter
Air filter
0.5L brake fluid
Running diagnostic and cleaning some temporary codes

Filters were CLEAN brand, and brake fluid Petronas Tutela.

I did complete brakes few months ago (full TRW front /rear). Car now feels and drives as new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back