Clean battery with garden hose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually just pour water on the battery, not full force from a garden hose. I soap it up and clean it with an old toothbrush, then pour water on it to rinse it.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I'm pretty sure you can short out a two-post battery if there is enough water on it. I'd be careful.
It would have to be pretty contaminated water to short out a battery. Never have had a problem in the past with using a water hose on it while in the car. In fact it is what I would do to insure the entire area is free from any acid.

Every other day I encounter corroded battery terminals.
I reach first, to use tap water in a pressurized bottle to remove all the corrosion salt.
The terminal will look clean after that.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
It would have to be pretty contaminated water to short out a battery.

Why? Water conducts electricity all by itself.

The conductivity of pure water is very, very low. Even when in contact with the carbon dioxide in the air it's still low, there are very few ions to permit conduction.

The conductivity of tap water will drain a few milliamps at most from a battery, until it dries: insignificant.
After rinsing off a battery and tray with plain water, after it dries, I actually sprinkle some baking soda on the tray and leave it there.
It will neutralize acid that finds its way down there later.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Get a new battery, preferably one that is fully sealed, maintenance free and have the charging system checked.

There are two definitions of "maintenance free".

(a) You don't need to do any maintenance
(b) You can't do any maintenance.

In general, one of these is true, and the other is advertising.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Get a new battery, preferably one that is fully sealed, maintenance free and have the charging system checked.

There are two definitions of "maintenance free".

(a) You don't need to do any maintenance
(b) You can't do any maintenance.

In general, one of these is true, and the other is advertising.
The main difference is the grid alloy make up. Maintenance free use calcium in the grids (or use to) to minimize the gassing. This also will reduce the capacity of the battery. It is good for starting the car but not good for deep cycling. The sealed AGM batteries use a pressure relief to vent if over charged. But the gasses will recombine back to water when under the slight pressure and return to the electrolyte.

Many people over fill the batteries that can be serviced. this leads to acid be expelled and then more water and the cycle gets worse and worse. As the acid is diluted the battery can take less charge and the boiling increases as the amperage going in also increases.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

The conductivity of pure water is very, very low. Even when in contact with the carbon dioxide in the air it's still low, there are very few ions to permit conduction.
Correct.

Part of my annual maintenance includes cleaning the entire engine compartment. I always remove the battery first and rince it with baking soda water, then use the garden hose to run clean water over it. The area where the battery sits in the compartment gets an entire bucket of baking soda water to ensure any migrated acid is also neutralized. My truck is going on 16 years and just had battery #3 installed in January.

Many people over fill the batteries that can be serviced. this leads to acid be expelled and then more water and the cycle gets worse and worse. As the acid is diluted the battery can take less charge and the boiling increases as the amperage going in also increases.

I'd guess they top-up BEFORE charging. I've done that once, and had an overflow, so now I know not to do it again.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

I'd guess they top-up BEFORE charging. I've done that once, and had an overflow, so now I know not to do it again.
I saw this with the fork truck batteries. Almost all are over filled and have weak electrolyte. You are much better off just adding enough water to cover the baffle plate and leave it a little low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back