Using upsized filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The filter on my Toyota has the base up. When I unscrew the filter quite a lot of oil comes out. I estimate 1/8 qt but haven't measured. This is after hours of draining. So it is absolutely important to have an adbv on a filter pointing base up if there are oil galleries higher than the filter.
I don't know about using a wider filter than specified, because of inlet hole position, but am just guessing. I use a slightly taller filter but not wider.
There is the belief oil filters get better with use, so in a less than 15k interval, the smaller filter is better. According to the belief which is not my belief. The smallest filter should be used? Just asking because the ideas conflict.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The larger filters doesn't mean there is MORE filtering media, just a larger can to hold it. Ed

Maybe some truth to this when comparing different filter designs between different manufacturers but not true when comparing apples to apples. Take a look at some of the cut open examples like a Fram 3614 vs a Fram 3600 and report back.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Yep, still need an ADBV to keep all the galleries full of oil, even if the filter is vertical with base up.
Oil from the valve train area drains directly into the sump, jack.

Not from the supply side if the ADBV is sealing correctly ... which is the side that counts, "Jack".
grin.gif

And the last time we saw an ABV which sealed well enough to keep the teaspoon of oil in the oil passages from draining was when, jacko?
Well, my brother's name is Jack (actually John, but he's been called Jack his whole life), & his '87 Tercel beater with the 3E 1.5 makes a pretty bad rattle with a QS filter if the filter has more than 2K on it-it works just fine with a MC FL400S no matter how long it's on-does THAT COUNT??

^^^ Yep, still need an ADBV to keep all the galleries full of oil, even if the filter is vertical with base up.

Not from the supply side if the ADBV is sealing correctly ... which is the side that counts, "Jack".
grin.gif

And the last time we saw an ABV which sealed well enough to keep the teaspoon of oil in the oil passages from draining was when, jacko?

HerrStig - And, that "teaspoon" of oil sure does make about a pints worth of mess when I take a filter off.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
What's to prove? It's indisputable that more of the same filter media translates into lower delta-P and higher load capacity in foreseeable operating conditions, and thus logically less time in bypass. How can one dispute that?

I only dispute its effect on your engine. I run many trucks here. Sold one not too long ago with 500k miles on it. No smoke, no clatter, no drip, no noticeable consumption. The vehicle is still in service for someone else!

Oil used? Whatever syn was on sale. Interval? Run by the OLM exclusively. This varies from around 4000 miles on our service vans to 12,000 miles on highway driven Silverados. Filter? Tiny lil thing as recommended, usually a Fram.

Sell it here all you want, but a larger filter is the definitive feel good mod. I'm not saying you can't do it, I AM saying it is of no real world benefit to a modern properly maintained engine.

grin.gif

Almost always, from my experience. Stop buying junk and it might work better for ya.
grin.gif

Right now I have a Baldwin B202 filter on my '06 S2000 and when I get to my 15k mile oil filter change time, I'll put the thread adapter and DBL7349 on.
I'm just an old hot rodder that likes to tinker with my toys.

ROD

I have a jeep wrangler with a 4.0 I6 motor and I put a FL1A Ford filter on it. It now holds 6.5 quarts and I have almost 200k on it. No problems for me.

Last edited:
Unless you're tied to Mobil brand, the Fram XG 7317, would be an excellent choice. It's readily available and holds a bit more capacity and is known to filter efficiently.

A dirty filter cleans and filters better than a filter that isn't dirty. This applies to virtually all types of filters in all applications and is backed by science. A larger filter has a larger square of area and its stands to reason an oversized filter could actually offer less filtration because it would take longer to become "dirty" thus reaching its peak efficiently. Manufactures spend so much time and money testing its not like they just randomly grab a filter and twist it on and that becomes the filter on the engine. We probably don't even aprecciate or know how much engineering goes into selections of components. For every action there is a reaction. Don't go mucking around with things. Just follow the directions and all will be fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back